Bad News today - Rear Diff toast? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
So my 2003 LX470 is leaking from the rear driver-side axle seal again after having them replaced at the dealer last August. Took it back to the dealer this evening thinking it was an installation error but it turned out to possibly be a dying rear diff. They tore it apart and invited me back to take a look. Below is what was found...

Pics of the speed sensor (magnetic) and all of the shredded metal shards. Techs thought that one of the bearings in the rear end is dying and the shards of metal in the oil caused the seal to fail again.

My first thought was East Coast Gear Supply and throw in an air locker but it's leading to a decision of whether or not I really want to keep the truck long term...Maybe this is the time to jump into a Grand Cherokee Diesel/Hemi that I've been looking at for a while now.

Thoughts on cost to replace, air locker vs. stock replacement, etc?

LbWfy0RKRTSIHp9cakuBqg.jpg

Last edited:
is the 03 lx a 4.11 of 4.30 gear ratio? If 4.30 then my vote would be to get an Elocked axle assembly from a 98-99 100 series.

Strange issue on a Hundy. eBay a replacement. Sell and get that truck u want.
I’ll give you 100 bucks for that lx with the messed up diff. 🤣

is the 03 lx a 4.11 of 4.30 gear ratio? If 4.30 then my vote would be to get an Elocked axle assembly from a 98-99 100 series.

I think the 03's are a 4.10 with the 5-speed unfortunately. I'm calling ECG monday to ask for a quote

Strange issue on a Hundy. eBay a replacement. Sell and get that truck u want.
I’ll give you 100 bucks for that lx with the messed up diff. 🤣

Yeah I was definitely surprised to see it. No noise yet and regular oil changes during my ownership but here we are...Lately, I've been towing a lot more to various races and so something newer with better MPG and more power for towing would be nice. We'll see. Going to try and decide a path forward next week. May go test drive some stuff this weekend.

If you plan to sell it I’d replace seal and just be upfront with buyers on the potential issue. I bet ecgs is gonna be around a grand to replace but that’s just a guess. I can’t see the rationale in dropping that and then moving to another vehicle.

Definitely get what you want...life is too short to not!

If you plan to sell it I’d replace seal and just be upfront with buyers on the potential issue. I bet ecgs is gonna be around a grand to replace but that’s just a guess. I can’t see the rationale in dropping that and then moving to another vehicle.

Definitely get what you want...life is too short to not!

Agreed. I may pull the center section and look for anything obvious. Seems straightforward.

If you want to sell don't do ecgs just get a new rear axle from a junker and sell. Go for the diesel Cherokee over the hemi.

If keeping I'd still say go for a replacement axle from a junker unless you are looking to do an axle at the same time or do the front gears as well.

Actually look for a locked axle from a 99 and a 4.30 front from a 00-02.

98-99 had through weak front diff's.

You will get better gearing and a locker for a much better deal that way.

For reference...
I got ECGS to quote ARB lockers on both axles (with compressor and install) on an 80; it was $4,310.38
Back in 2017, I had them replace the Dana 80 LSD and pinion on my '06 F350; it was $1,976.80 and that was >$500 cheaper than any other quote I received.

There was a guy in Durham that had a gold hundred he was parting out but I don't see it any more. Not sure if he sold it?? Anyone know what happened to it?

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Just called ECGS to get a quote for an ARB air locker in the rear so we'll see how it goes. I'm leaning more towards throwing a locker in the truck and keeping it. It's been good to me over the past 4 years and other than the leaking rear axle last year, this is the first big issue I've encountered.

Drove a couple of newer Grand Cherokee's and a 5.0L and 3.5L Ecoboost Ford F150 this weekend and while they offer much better power/towing, I can't get over the newer interiors. They just feel cheap given the price. Plus I really like not having a car payment!

Just called ECGS to get a quote for an ARB air locker in the rear so we'll see how it goes. I'm leaning more towards throwing a locker in the truck and keeping it. It's been good to me over the past 4 years and other than the leaking rear axle last year, this is the first big issue I've encountered.

Drove a couple of newer Grand Cherokee's and a 5.0L and 3.5L Ecoboost Ford F150 this weekend and while they offer much better power/towing, I can't get over the newer interiors. They just feel cheap given the price. Plus I really like not having a car payment!

Just pretend you bought a new truck, then put all that money towards the air locker. :)

I'd still vote for a 00 front diff and 99 locked rear axle. Would be cheaper and give you slightly better gearing.

Either way glad you are keeping the LX.

Just pretend you bought a new truck, then put all that money towards the air locker. :)
Yeah maybe I'll recover the front seats while I'm at it and replace my cracked steering wheel so it'll feel new!

I'd still vote for a 00 front diff and 99 locked rear axle. Would be cheaper and give you slightly better gearing.

Either way glad you are keeping the LX.
Definitely an option! Getting the ECGS quote today and that'll be a determining factor. I've wanted on-board air for a while now so this may be a good excuse to go that route...

The wood steering wheel from korea is a big upgrade. Your lex may already have the wood wheel. This wheel is like $175 and changes the whole feel of the 100 interior. I need to order one from my daughters white truck. The blue truck already has one.

Well, I'm open to other suggestions for places to install an ARB air locker... ECGS quoted me $3,400 which I think is insane. I was expecting more on the order of $2,000-$2,500. From other folks I've talked to, $3,400 for one axle seems excessive, considering I'm not re-gearing or anything like that.

Debating doing it myself for that price.

Should be able to get the front and rear used diff's for under $1400 most likely less if you shop around.

Air compressir is anywhere from $89 up to $700 depending on specs and brand. I'd recommend a magnum one if wanting to spend some coin.

Well, I’m driving up to VB Saturday to go pick up a rear axle out of a 2003 land cruiser. $375 with 128k-ish miles.

Planning to give it a coat of POR, some new fluid, and swap it in.
If anyone wants to lend a hand, I have beer and burgers.

I’d lend out my lift if I was t going to be out of town. I should be back Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom