bad looking 90 wt. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yesterday I drained my transmission. in the transmission, there were 2 steel flakes stuck to the drain plug, as well as shiny metallic 90 wt. The oil color was slightly grey/brown but clearly yellow. I also felt that not a full 2 quarts came out of it.

Then, today I pulled the fill plug, and drain plug to my T-case. bad news. not even a pint of dark brown oil came out. I havn't put but 50 miles on it so far, but who knows how many miles it had when I picked it out of mississippi. odo shows 36,000 miles.

so, what do ya'll say? run it till she blows, and get new gears, or just buy a 4 spd upgrade?

Refill it all and try it; lots of stuff is likely to need attention. It may not be hurt as bad as you might think; 36K isn't a lot of use. Good Luck!

I hope that there isn't damage to the gears, and bearings. but if there is... oh well. at least it isn't leaking 90 wt like a siv.
the gear teeth chips I found tho... is that normal for a 3 spd? I mean, its impossable to not grind the gears unless you know how to drive it. it's quarky

Refill it all and try it; lots of stuff is likely to need attention. It may not be hurt as bad as you might think; 36K isn't a lot of use. Good Luck!
X2 these things are made for rough use in third world countries with questionable lubricants, in all weather, and.......well you know. Change all of your fluids and go from there.:cheers:

well, thanks for the emotional boost. I've changed all but front diff fluid.
one question: is it cool to fill up 1/4th lucas heavy oil stabilizer, and the rest 90 wt.?

If it was me I would just fill'er up 90 wt. and call it good. I've never used a stabilizer but I'm sure it wont damage anything.

x2 on starting with fresh fluids, but you transmission might have problems. There are many posts about all the fluid in the transfer case getting pumped into the transmission due to a bad seal. Some even have build a little tube that connects to both fill holes so that when the transmission is over flowing it flows back down to the transfer case. As for the 36k miles I would bet 136K or 236K

bodysnatchers1.jpg

Last edited:
Remove the cap from the xfer case vent so that it doesn't pressurized and push the xfer 90wt into the transmission. You will find the vent on the top of the case, under the floorpan and somewhat hard to get to. Pry it off and install a hunk of 3/8" fuel line with a hose clamp to hold it tightly.

I have done this on several FJs and it works well to prevent the fluid swap. Then, check the fluids for a few months (just pull both 'fill' plugs and see if either one is overfull). If you ever do pull the trans/xfer, you can separate them and replace the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom