Bad Engine! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to FJ’s. I have recently come into possession of a 07, with an engine that was run without oil, and will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Does it make sense to replace, or just part it out. The body is straight with the exception of the front fender, and there is only light surface rust or no rust on the frame. It has been in north Georgia all its life. If replacing the engine is the consensus, where is the best place to get an engine? Rebuilt or just used? Thanks for any advice!

If it was run without oil the best thing to do is replace the engine. I wouldn’t try and repair what’s broken now and something else that is damaged hasn’t shown up yet will pop up after you spend money.

The motor in fj cruisers was used over a span of several years across different Toyota vehicles. Maybe find a totaled one to buy and swap the motor. They used the same motor in 07-09 fjcruiser. In 10 they got some changes and upgrades.
I’m not sure on comparable years but 4runners and Tacoma’s had the same v6

If it were me I’d look for a totaled fjcruiers or comparable Toyota with the same motor and swap motors. May could sell left over parts to fund the project if wanted.
I’d say check online. I saw some videos on YouTube of guys getting good deals online auctions for totaled vehicles. Copart I think they are called. Even Facebook marketplace or Craig’s list had a chance of helping you.

Two guys in north ga buy totaled cars and rebuild them from copart I think it’s called and have a large YouTube audience.

Considering these things go forever I wouldnt scoff at a used engine. If the truck is in really good shape otherwise, coupled with the high resale, you shouldnt lose out much. If you can rebuild it then you will probably be best off.

On the 07 >>>Be sure to check for inner fender cracks before you pull the trigger.

I don't think you can rebuild a 1GR-FE if the cylinder walls are scored. It is an aluminum block with non-removable steel cylinder liners that cannot be bored out. So you have to get a new block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom