Backorder Dobinsons, another brand, or mix/match? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it looks like my 80 isn't going to sell, and with 25 year old springs (and probably shocks) if I'm going to like this thing, I'm going to need to need new suspension. I want as little lift as possible to run the 315s I'm picking up from a forum member (that i am getting for a song). The guys at Dobinsons are SO nice and helpful, but I'm going to have to backorder if i want what they recommend for me (which is 3" lift, which they say is minimum to run 35s) due to the coils. I believe, however, they have the shocks in stock. If that's the case, how much do the springs themselves (aside from linear vs. progressive) really contribute to the ride quality? should i wait on the springs? or is it better for me to simply order their IMS shocks from them and source the springs from another manufacturer (like OME).

this is kind of overwhelming.

Application:
Daily driver - weekend camper
Will also get a front bumper and winch, and far down the line possibly a rear bumper and tire carrier.

I run 2 1/2 dobinson with 35's and no problem at all.

I run 2.5 on my 33s and there seems to be lots of extra room. Also many people comment about the surprising ride quality.

Mill Creek Overland should see their large shipment of Slinky suspension parts fairly soon. They are expecting a shipping container to arrive on the east coast. Ships doesn’t offer great tracking information, but it’s worth giving Albert a call to check in.

1 (615) 283-3454

I’ve seen people posting about Icon lately too, which seems to work well for lighter rigs.

Mill Creek Overland
Mill Creek Overland should see their large shipment of Slinky suspension parts fairly soon. They are expecting a shipping container to arrive on the east coast. Ships doesn’t offer great tracking information, but it’s worth giving Albert a call to check in.

1 (615) 283-3454

I’ve seen people posting about Icon lately too, which seems to work well for lighter rigs.

is there an email i can reach Albert on?

try Jason @Ozark cruiser at Ozark overland outfitters . He installs a ton of dobinson suspension and runs an 80 hard. He can give you some good insight.

I am very happy with my Dobinson springs and would wait. Just know that Dobinson lift more than advertised. My 3" rear Dobinson tapered springs are more like a 4" spring. I will eventually replace the front 3" Dobinson flexicoil with a 3.5" Dobinson tapered spring for extra load handling.

I am very happy with my Dobinson springs and would wait. Just know that Dobinson lift more than advertised. My 3" rear Dobinson tapered springs are more like a 4" spring. I will eventually replace the front 3" Dobinson flexicoil with a 3.5" Dobinson tapered spring for extra load handling.
Nice! I am thinking of ordering the 2.5" or 3" tapered . Really just want the lowest lift to fit 35s at ride height (seems liek 2.5 tapered would do that the best). I will likely have a light tube bumper up front with winch (BIO?) and at some point, a rear bumper with tire carrier (but that would be far down the line).

I've been talking with Albert and he's not very hopeful regarding Slinky. The dobinson guys said they will get the 144 and 145 springs in March or April. Everything else is in stock.
I spoke to them yesterday and they told me they have no 3" coils in stock at all.

Nice! I am thinking of ordering the 2.5" or 3" tapered . Really just want the lowest lift to fit 35s at ride height (seems liek 2.5 tapered would do that the best). I will likely have a light tube bumper up front with winch (BIO?) and at some point, a rear bumper with tire carrier (but that would be far down the line).

I've got a set of used 4" Dobinson Flexicoil rear springs and matching Fox shocks sitting in my garage right now. I replaced them with 3" Dobinson tapered coil springs and IMS shocks because the Flexicoil and Fox combination couldn't handle the weight of a rear bumper, spare, family of 4, two dogs, camp gear, and full fridge. The Flexicoils are great for a light Cruiser but both the flexicoils or tapered coils lifted the Cruiser above my expectations.

I've got a set of used 4" Dobinson Flexicoil rear springs and matching Fox shocks sitting in my garage right now. I replaced them with 3" Dobinson tapered coil springs and IMS shocks because the Flexicoil and Fox combination couldn't handle the weight of a rear bumper, spare, family of 4, two dogs, camp gear, and full fridge. The Flexicoils are great for a light Cruiser but both the flexicoils or tapered coils lifted the Cruiser above my expectations.
So what you're saying is not only did they lift higher than expected but couldn't really handle the weight? maybe i better stick with linear then.

While a mix and match of springs and shocks sometimes works out, both the spring and the shock contribute to ride quality and it's best to get a spring/shock pair that are designed to work with each other. If your goal is to bring back the love to your 80, I think it's better to wait for the correct paired suspension system. Or if you *need* it sooner, go with another paired system like Ironman or Icon.

I also bet you the Dobinson 2.5"/2" coils will fit 315's just fine if those are in stock. They'll give you a legit 3" lift if your rig isn't too heavy. As others have said, Dobinsons have a tendency to lift more than advertised.

So what you're saying is not only did they lift higher than expected but couldn't really handle the weight? maybe i better stick with linear then.
I still very much prefer progressive springs. The Flexicoils ride really good for an empty Cruiser and handled good on road. But when weight was added the Cruiser, the coils compressed quite a bit in the rear. The Tapered coils are more progressive and ramp up quicker during travel to prevent bottoming out and are more stable on the road. Sadly, I haven't been offroad with the Tapered coils yet and with the tapered coils I notice very little sag.

I have had linear rear coils many years ago and they sucked. The ride wasn't great and they were too soft. They also wanted to wander out of the perches during flexing offroad which made a lot of noise. Luckily they didn't fall out. I imagine that linear coils would be closer to their advertised height.

Empty Cruiser for me is 4x4 Labs rear bumper, spare tire, empty fridge, and just me as the driver.

If you are looking at keeping the Cruiser low and keeping it fairly light, I would recommend the shortest Flexicoil Dobinson makes. If you are adding armor, hauling gear, or taking the family offroad, the shortest Tapered coil would be best.

I would also say wait for dobinsons. I love my tapered springs. It seems like 3" is the perfect spot for 315s but you can certainly run them on a 2.5" lift. I drove around for a month with 315s on stock suspension.

I still very much prefer progressive springs. The Flexicoils ride really good for an empty Cruiser and handled good on road. But when weight was added the Cruiser, the coils compressed quite a bit in the rear. The Tapered coils are more progressive and ramp up quicker during travel to prevent bottoming out and are more stable on the road. Sadly, I haven't been offroad with the Tapered coils yet and with the tapered coils I notice very little sag.

I have had linear rear coils many years ago and they sucked. The ride wasn't great and they were too soft. They also wanted to wander out of the perches during flexing offroad which made a lot of noise. Luckily they didn't fall out. I imagine that linear coils would be closer to their advertised height.

Empty Cruiser for me is 4x4 Labs rear bumper, spare tire, empty fridge, and just me as the driver.

If you are looking at keeping the Cruiser low and keeping it fairly light, I would recommend the shortest Flexicoil Dobinson makes. If you are adding armor, hauling gear, or taking the family offroad, the shortest Tapered coil would be best.
That's the problem. it will be a daily 95% of the time (i.e. empty empty), but then when i do go places it'll be long(ish) haul drips with a family of 4, a dog, and camping gear (including kayak). so that's my dilemma. i think i'm going to backorder the 3" tapered (it's weird, they have a 2" and 3" tapered rear and a 2.5" and 3.5" tapered front). i'm guessing the idea is to go .5 higher in the front.

That's the problem. it will be a daily 95% of the time (i.e. empty empty), but then when i do go places it'll be long(ish) haul drips with a family of 4, a dog, and camping gear (including kayak). so that's my dilemma. i think i'm going to backorder the 3" tapered (it's weird, they have a 2" and 3" tapered rear and a 2.5" and 3.5" tapered front). i'm guessing the idea is to go .5 higher in the front.

The 2.5" tapered springs will give you around 3" of lift on a moderately weighted rig. If you go with the 3.5 you will likely need a DC front shaft and will sit closer to 4" or lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom