Backing Down Hills - S L O W L Y !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gang:

Question for you. A few weeks ago I was out doing some trail riedes with my new found 'Rover' friends. Part of the trip included some very nice and steep sand dunes.

I'm well aware that in both going down hills forward or backward, you want to use engine compression andgearing to slow the decent and completely avoid the brakes. I used to have a BJ60 that was fantastic for this - put it in 1st 4Low and let it walk down the hill - slow enough that I could have probably got out to pee without the truck passing me.

I found that going forward the truck seemed to be fine and no temptation to hit the brakes. In reverse it seemed much faster. We were talking at lunch and I thought that going down backwad seemed faster b/c maybe the gearing was different. My Rover friends said that this would not be the case as I would be limited by my lowest gearing = should be the same speed.

So, wha't the deal - how does this work?

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
It is not your imagination.

Automatic Transmission ratios:
FZJ80 A343F 1-95 to 1-98
1st: ... 2.804:1
2nd: .. 1.531:1
3rd: ... 1.000:1
OD: .... 0.753:1
R: ...... 2.393:1

1st is lower (higher numerically) than reverse.

The above numbers are for the technically superior A343F. The old bus transmission is 1st 2.950:1 and Reverse 2.678:1

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=3994;start=0#msg29286 date=1059453243]
The above numbers are for the technically superior A343F. The old bus transmission is 1st 2.950:1 and Reverse 2.678:1
-B-
[/quote]

Isn't lower better Beo? I think I will have to tell everyone my logic on why the A442F is better. Shall I?

Rogue,

>> Isn't lower better Beo? <<

It depends on whether we're talking about grades (you) or golf scores (me.) :D

-B-

:eek:

You know what I meant, and that the A442F is in fact the better gearbox. :D :D :D

I sleep great every night knowing that my transmission is still standard issue in other countries. :D

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=3994;start=0#msg29417 date=1059525579]
I sleep great every night knowing that my transmission is still standard issue in other countries. :D
[/quote]
So's your momma Rogue. :flipoff2: and we know how she digs your crappy bus trans. :flipoff2: Just hope she doesn't demand exact change :flipoff2:

Of course the A343F is better, because that's what i have. :bigmasterflipofftolittlewhimsicaldude:

That said, there is no reason to ever back down a hill! :eek: :D It's a frickin cruiser, go forward. :D :D :D :D :D

Um,

Gentlemen,........The 442 is CLEARLY superior as it has one more solenoid than 343's do......... ::)

In addition, It has a nifty and useful skid plate for the oil pan.................. :D (The latter being conspicously absent from a 343)

Thanks for all the input. I would have loved to go forward, but I was just digging in deeper and none of the Rovers could get up the hill :p, so if I couldn't get out it would have been a problem :'(

What about the point that going down backwards can't be any faster than the lowest gearing going forward - seemed like BS to me (and was verified by my seat-of-the-pants speedo), but then again I wasn't sure.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

>> seemed like BS to me <<

That's why I gave you the gear ratios; to prove you have lower gearing in 1st forward than in reverse.
-B-

Wulf-man, quit giving Hugh the gears :D

Ya, I'm now a 3 star! Sorry for the stupidity - Beo the gear ratios were perfect.

What the LR folks implied is that in 4L going in reverse, you are limited by the lowest gearing (ie in this case the first gear) - anyways, enough - in my mind, even with a basic understanding of gearing, the reverse speed has nothing to do with the lowest (forward) gear (4H or 4L). Maybe in discos it's the same gearing (1st and R)?

Cheers, Hugh

Moral of the story:
Don't listen to Rover people unless it concerns fine wine or faulty electronics. ::)

>> Don't listen to Rover people unless it concerns fine wine or faulty electronics. <<

Bailey, you are wise beyond your years. :D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom