Builds Back into an 80 - Australian Turbo FZJ80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, no updates for a couple of weeks but some things have been happening to the 80:
1) Spark plugs, leads, dissy rotor and cap. The dissy cap and rotor and some of the wires were original. There was also a mishmash of aftermarket wires. Spark plugs were stock heat range so hopefully nothing is damaged.

1-6 from blue cap being 1 - be glad of any comments on these since this is the first time I've purchased spark plugs for a cruiser...

20181124_154637.jpg

Also ditched the alloy bar for an ARB non-winch bar which @Indestructible 47 found for me - winch bar would be nice but for $350, can't go wrong!
20181124_200040.jpg

Yesterday, she got new boots: 16x10 -44 beadlocks and 315/75R16 BFG KM2s - the price was right on a black friday/cyber monday sale so pulled the trigger. I reckon the front springs are a bit past their prime, got some 30mm spacers coming and if still not sitting right I'll grab a set of coils.
20181201_110302.jpg

20181130_152458.jpg

20181130_174745.jpg

Lastly, to bring us up to date, put on a new fuel filter today. Bit of a PIA but made a lot easier by pulling off the passenger front wheel (RHD truck) and having the truck up on the hoist - no pics of that I'm afraid.

And just for fun, below we have my old cuz @Indestructible 47 with his truck on the hoist - nice and flexy
20181124_125850.jpg

Dope wheels. Had them myself. They're actually -38mm offset.
I reckon they suit the 80! Not too sure about the offset - the wheel dude sold them as -44 and they do hang out the flares more than I thought a -38 would, but they could be -38s. Anyway, they do the job so...

Dope wheels. Had them myself. They're actually -38mm offset.

I'm curious why you doubt the offset numbers that @AussieHJCruza listed for his wheels? That is probably the most common/popular beadlock style on the planet, and there are likely dozens of manufacturers that make them in many different offsets. How can you be sure you had the exact same ones?

They do look good though!

Haha. Nice to see someone else with the letters out. Letters OUT, DAN!!!:rofl:

I'm curious why you doubt the offset numbers that @AussieHJCruza listed for his wheels? That is probably the most common/popular beadlock style on the planet, and there are likely dozens of manufacturers that make them in many different offsets. How can you be sure you had the exact same ones?

They do look good though!

Living on the edge I guess ‍

Is there any other way?
Hahaha, the thing is, I actually wanted the letters in, but the shop didn't ask and I forgot to tell them, but I am actually quite liking the whites out!

this thing will be great fun to drive, I used to have an 80 dual cab a few years back with a turbo intercooled FZFTE auto on 33's and it would spin all 4 tyres off the mark, my age went from 50 back to 25 with the push of the loud pedal.

I fitted greaseable terrain tamer CV's to my '97 HDJ80 and ASIN free wheel hubs.

With the sort of power yours will have, and with 35's, make sure the rear wheel bearings are tight, which you can only check with the axle out

this thing will be great fun to drive, I used to have an 80 dual cab a few years back with a turbo intercooled FZFTE auto on 33's and it would spin all 4 tyres off the mark, my age went from 50 back to 25 with the push of the loud pedal.

I fitted greaseable terrain tamer CV's to my '97 HDJ80 and ASIN free wheel hubs.

With the sort of power yours will have, and with 35's, make sure the rear wheel bearings are tight, which you can only check with the axle out
Haha yeah, thing is tho @AussieHJCruza and myself are still under 25:). I am a fan of terrain tamer stuff as far aftermarket gear goes, it does seem to be quality gear from reputable and oem manufacturers.

I have spocken to @AussieHJCruza and recommended a aftermarket ecu to accommodate at least 18psi of boost:D. He also has in mind to do the brakes sometime, as i understand?

Looks killa now with the arb and those tyres, no roof rack. Lookin forward to working on it again mate.:beer:

Haha yeah, thing is tho @AussieHJCruza and myself are still under 25:). I am a fan of terrain tamer stuff as far aftermarket gear goes, it does seem to be quality gear from reputable and oem manufacturers.

I have spocken to @AussieHJCruza and recommended a aftermarket ecu to accommodate at least 18psi of boost:D. He also has in mind to do the brakes sometime, as i understand?

Looks killa now with the arb and those tyres, no roof rack. Lookin forward to working on it again mate.:beer:

Thanks for your help Cuz! I am thinking of doing a brif job at Chrissy time, so might do the brakes then too.

Ordered some goodies from @NLXTACY - modded fan clutch (I don't think she's overheating but gonna need all the help we can get in summer) and the Hex drive diff and transfer plugs, PHH kit and fusable link. Once the fan clutch is here it's gonna be time for belts and radiator hoses, and maybe an Ally radiator. Anyone tried any of the ones you can find on ebay?

A bit more bling this afternoon - getting the old stickers off was painful.
After a bit of messing around it ended up a bit of a process:
1) Soften/heat sticker with heat-gun and steam
2) Use old bank card as a 'scraper' to assist the softened sticker off
3) Wipe off residue with turps and isopropanol
4) Clay and Polish area where sticker came off to clean up any oxidation and anything else on the paint
5) Final wipe with isopropanol and then put on new sticker
20181206_192339.jpg

20181206_191513.jpg

Not a lot happening on the 80 the last few weeks. Did get a care package from @NLXTACY in the post yesterday, containing PHH kit, Fusible Link, Sump plug gaskets, Magnetic hex drive plugs for diffs, gearbox and transfer and a Landtank blue hub fan clutch. The plan was to do a coolant flush, belts and hoses and the fan clutch this weekend, however looks like I'm gonna be messing with the daily driver instead (Ford Ranger) - had an encounter with skippy yesterday so need to get the front bar off and assess the damage.

Have completed the most important install from Wits' end though...
Sticker.jpg

And because pics, pic of the aforesaid skippy encounter. All in all, pretty happy with how the front bar performed, without it I'd have been walking home and shopping for bonnet, radiator, intercooler, AC condenser etc. From the initial inspection all it's gonna need is a headlight and drivers' side fender. I think the bar has just moved on its mounts.
1547626939194.JPEG

1547626939406.JPEG

Sorry it took so long to get it to you :(
No worries at all. The 80 isn't a daily so no real rush. Thank you for making all this gear available! Nicely packed and fast shipping too! :)

Not a lot of progress here, been driving her a bit

Started to get the dreaded click click so...
Hopefully this stuff isn't rubbish, first time trying aftermarket but this cost me less than. One OEM birf so...I figured I'd give it a go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom