Axle swap.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have come across a cheep :eek: pair of toyota mini truck axles. I have a 1980 fj40 that has the 3.73 ring and pinion, but I would like 4.11's. I know the mini truck axles are stronger too, so that is a added plus!! I want to put a 205 transfercase in anyway, so that would solve the problem of the centered rear end. I was also thinking of doing a springover at the same time, even though I just bought a pinnacle 4.5 inch lift. Would this worth the effort to do? Easy, Hard, drive shaft mods? Anything else?

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't even consider this swap. Minitruck axles are the same didameter as the cruisers, and the birfields interchange for your year. However, the differential itself is smaller and much weaker. I don't think it would stand up to the torque of the LC 6 cylinder. You should be able to find some complete Land Cruiser differentials with the gearing you want. I bought a pair of 4.11 from a 1978 for $100. The other option is to just regear the diffs you have. Used R&P sets will be really cheap, and a diff shop will charge $200-250 to set them up. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom