Axle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was comptimplating doing a birf repack sometime, axles need it. Just wondering should I go ahead and replace bearings. 186k miles.

Also do the wipers need to be replaced as well or are those replace as needed?

If this is the first or second time the answer is "yes"

Jon,
Replace knuckle bearings and wipers. Inspect wheel bearings and replace only if necessary.
-B-

Beowulf - what are the wipers?

by the way - what state are you in? you always seem to here late when I am. CA?

Riley,

See this thread:
http://69.61.14.149/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2008;start=msg14917#msg14917

The "wipers" are the seals in the kit. Buy the individual parts because it is cheaper.
==================================================================

There is a kit from Toyota that contains the seals and gaskets for both sides.
This kit is priced higher than the individual pieces. Therefore, the above
lists contain the individual parts rather than the kit.

04434-60051 $201.03 ea x1 Master Front Axle Gasket Kit, both sides

The 04434-60051 consists of the following part numbers:
90313-93003 $27.22 ea x2 Dust Seal
43436-60011 $ 1.14 ea x2 Inner Spindle Gasket
43435-60020 $ 1.03 ea x2 Outer Spindle Gasket
43204-60031 $27.35 ea x2 Dust Seal & wiper Kit
43422-60060 $ 1.51 ea x2 Hub Gasket

Total $116.50 versus $201.03 for the kit, same stuff.

====================================================================

I'm a night owl and live in the mountain time zone. Unlike AZ, we follow daylight savings time.

-B-

Thanks B - I wonder what Dan would have to say about the strange pricing. What about the clips? Not sure I'd need them but I see references to c-clips???

Never mind about the c-clips. I just read the link . Very good info. Time to do homework. Have weeks to study before doing this job.

Thanks for all the advice.

Riley

C-Dan is the one that told me about the pricing!!!

The C-clips are used if you seperate the axles from the birfs. You don't need them if you are not going to seperate. There is also a circlip that goes on the very end of the stub axle. You can reuse it if you are careful and don't stretch it out of shape during removal. If you use the right type of pliars then you won't mess it up. If you use a screwdriver and the yank and cuss method of removal and installation then you might need new ones on hand.

-B-

Beo's figures are close. at the time of the original post they were correct. Today the 04434-60051 sells for $202.54

Toyota publishes a new price disc quarterly and prices can change monthly. Usually, the 2 big change months are January and July.

Any list prices posted are current at the time of the original post but are fluid over time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom