Axle rebuild, Stuck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well thanks to ishobie, I got my axle dissabled today well kinda, the cone washers just don't wanna pop, I got 3 out with my brass hammer before it flew apart, hitting it with the brass drift isn't doing anything, maybe I'm just tired. I have been taking my time and cleaning up fasteners and greasy parts. Any ideas, I soaked the cone washers in release all and wd 40 for tommrow, I think I will go get another brass hammer. Does heat help at all? I am replacing everything anyway, or is heat a no no?

please help!, hopefully they will pop tommrow!!!

cheers
Eric

take BFH and a very solid brass drift and hit the end of the stud hard and direct, if you hit slightly on an angle you will bend the studs.
hey will come out with a good sharp bang..
once they move enough you can grab the cone with needle nose vice grips and work them off...
Wayne

I use an air hammer with a blunt end. Guaranteed to remove difficult cone washers with ease in seconds.
Mvc-447s.jpg

Once you've hit the stud with the brass drift (repeat if necessary), you can use a small file (the small, round files for chainsaw sharpening work well), and use the tapered end that usually fits into the handle. GENTLY tap this taper into the gap in the cone washer, and it spreads the washer and acts as a handle at the same time.

Cheers,
Steve

well it ended up me beating the crap out of the studs and the last one finally popped it was rusty underneath, and I pretty much pooched the stud, I just ordered all new hardware from toyota, I can't wait to get this all back together.

Cheers
Eric

when popping the studs out i put the old nuts back on so that they are just above the threads and one or two good HARD cracks and they pop out...
cheers

Hey Eric,

When I did mine last year I had the same struggles. What I had found is that the cone washers I thought had not popped actually did??? If you can see the split in the waher then they have popped (well this is how I could tell). I then was able to grab the edges with a pair of needle nose pliers and wiggle the washers back and fourth to get them out. The few that I could see the split but can't grab the sides of teh cone with a pair of pliers, I took flat head screw driver, placed the edge of the screw driver at an angle to the split and kit it gently as though I was making the washer go around in the circle. The washer then woudl loosen enough to take out by hand or pliers. This is what worked for me I am sure there are other suggestions.

I must have spent at least 2 hours on the one side of my truck trying to get those damn things out. Once I actually started looking for the split my time for the other side was about half an hour.

Good luck!

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom