Axle Rebuild - FAQ Torque Clarification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, may just be reading it wrong but I am looking at the torque #'s for the front axle rebuild in the FAQ and want double check something.

I see the torque listed for the drive flange nuts at 26 ft./lb. and then later I see a note that says:

"3 - Go super easy on tightening the tiny nuts on the drive plate and cone washers. The torque is in INCH pounds, so easy to break right off."

Am I just mixing something up as I read through or are these one and the same?

And yes, I know I need a FSM, I apologize. On order the next paycycle through...

FSM for my 97 says Ft lbs. 26 ft. lbs is not a lot of force but they sure seemed easier to take off than to bear back down on.

I'd just do them "good and snug" unless you have a good torque wrench. I managed to strip one of the studs by overtorquing it with mine. Not the end of the world, but one more thing to fix. YMMV!

Go Easy

Your intuition is correct. FSM calls for 26 ft-lbs which is way overkill. I just stripped a brand new OEM stud in a brand new hub by following FSM torque. All that is really required is to seat the cone washers and hold them in place, there is minimal axial load on the flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom