Away from home - alignment specs, please!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on vacation and we're taking my bro in law's 80 to an alignment shop tomorrow (tuesday) to see if we can solve a mystery. It exhibits strange tire wear on the rears and I've been suspecting a bent rear spindle for rears due to a hard hit against a stump that blew the tire years back. Since the rear alignment is not adjustable, I know what the alignment guy will say: "We don't have specs for it since the rears cannot be adjusted." I know that, but I still want a measurement from him, so if his software allows a spec to be typed in we'll be in business.

Anyhow, could someone with access to the info give me the alignment specs for the 80? If someone at a dealer (CDan - ya there?) can check deeper in case the FSM doesn't show a rear measurement, this would be key. I'm thinking there must be some measurements available for frame damage repair, etc. But a lot of times the frame mfr's software for mere alignments won't include this. I've run into it before. Thanks in advance!!

DougM

front

camber 1deg + 45"
caster 3deg + 60'
steering axis inclination 13deg + 45'

toe in .2deg + .2deg for each wheel with a total difference front to back measuring center to center of 2mm + 2 mm

didn't see anything on the rear axle

Rick nailed it.

I would guess that the rear axle should be at a zero toe and zero camber, or very close to it.

D-

I agree with Cdan....... zero - zero on a straight axle :D

Wayne S

Sorry I didn't get back on this. Net access was spotty while on vacation.

The alignment check showed the right rear was 0.15 degree toe in while the suspect left rear was 0.65 degrees toed. Looks like a bent spindle. That's a lot of excess toe in and easily the reason he's showing odd wear. Shop says the LR is likely correct based on his years of experience checking solid axle rigs and I tend to agree as there should be just a bit of toe in on the rear. Kind of a bummer since the rear spindle is part of the entire rear axle housing IIRC.... Might be cheaper to replace the rears every 15k vs dropping cash on that. Yeesh.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom