Avoid Blizzard Pearl at all costs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since most of the GX's around here have severely inflated prices, I think I'll just steer clear of Blizzard Pearl altogether. It'd be one thing if I could get one for super cheap and just keep it presentable, but I'd hate to shell out $15-20k and then have it peel off. This feedback has been incredibly helpful, as I was considering paying a painfully high price for a pearl rig that already had a bunch of touched up dings on the side. Walked away with no regrets.

My '08 has probably a half-dozen small locations where the peel is evident. None of it is significant, I rarely notice it. That said, I use this as my camping/hunting "fun" rig - it doesn't get waxed/clay-barred/steam cleaned regularly so I rarely even remember they're there.

Were I shopping, I wouldn't hesitate to go Blizzard Pearl. If you find one that's got a few peeling spots, immediately take it to Lexus per the Customer Support program noted above and let them appropriately deal with it.

My '08 has probably a half-dozen small locations where the peel is evident. None of it is significant, I rarely notice it. That said, I use this as my camping/hunting "fun" rig - it doesn't get waxed/clay-barred/steam cleaned regularly so I rarely even remember they're there.

Were I shopping, I wouldn't hesitate to go Blizzard Pearl. If you find one that's got a few peeling spots, immediately take it to Lexus per the Customer Support program noted above and let them appropriately deal with it.

the customer support program only extends to ‘08. Anything earlier and you’re stuck dealing with the paint on your own.

My friend's '05 Blizzard is coming off the roof...in 10" sections.

I found this abused NJ-owned 04 and it was a disaster. Ended up sanding a Lot but after Bedlining ($400 in supplies, $60 to rent a large air compressor, and 3 days to prep, tape, and paint) it white I'm super happy with it. Door jams fade super well and just hose it clean at the end of the day.
IMG_20200817_164029.jpg
PXL_20201109_184638567.jpg
PXL_20210206_222027543.jpg

I would never buy one if I wanted a clean GX. That said, I bought mine to use so I'd buy one at a discount in a heartbeat and monsterline it. Rip the flares off, weld the holes shut and paint it and take it out in the woods!

I found this abused NJ-owned 04 and it was a disaster. Ended up sanding a Lot but after Bedlining ($400 in supplies, $60 to rent a large air compressor, and 3 days to prep, tape, and paint) it white I'm super happy with it. Door jams fade super well and just hose it clean at the end of the day.

Dude, that looks great! Have you done that before, or did you pull that off your first try?

The closest thing to doing this was when I Plasti-dipped my old Impreza with a paint gun. A lot more prep work for the liner to come out good but only watched youtube videos to prepare. If your paint is going I see little reason to not do this for what most people are using these trucks for. It's so nice to never have to worry about the paint.
Dude, that looks great! Have you done that before, or did you pull that off your first try?

BIL's wife's 2013 Sequoia was covered and I believe his 2015 Tundra is as well. They just repainted her Sequoia a few weeks ago. Makes you wonder if this will be an issue even for the 2016+ vehicles. Both our 2019 GX460 and our new LC are pearl white in color.

The closest thing to doing this was when I Plasti-dipped my old Impreza with a paint gun. A lot more prep work for the liner to come out good but only watched youtube videos to prepare. If your paint is going I see little reason to not do this for what most people are using these trucks for. It's so nice to never have to worry about the paint.

agree. if i wanted a show car, i wouldn't drive a gx. maybe it's my inner redneck, but i kinda dig the bedline look when it's done well. glad to hear the spraying isn't too bad. figured prep would be a lot - always is with any kind of painting.

BIL's wife's 2013 Sequoia was covered and I believe his 2015 Tundra is as well. They just repainted her Sequoia a few weeks ago. Makes you wonder if this will be an issue even for the 2016+ vehicles. Both our 2019 GX460 and our new LC are pearl white in color.
this was still going on in 2015 model year vehicles?? man, that's unacceptable on toyota's part. can't imagine the recall is cheap - blizzard pearl is stupid popular.

agree. if i wanted a show car, i wouldn't drive a gx. maybe it's my inner redneck, but i kinda dig the bedline look when it's done well. glad to hear the spraying isn't too bad. figured prep would be a lot - always is with any kind of painting.

this was still going on in 2015 model year vehicles?? man, that's unacceptable on toyota's part. can't imagine the recall is cheap - blizzard pearl is stupid popular.
This has been going on forever with Toyota’s white paints. Super white has also been affected. 2016+ white Tacoma’s have been having hit or miss peel issues. I’m sure it extends across the board thru all Toyota models in white. The other white colors aside from the blizzard pearl are shot with an all in one topcoat, which is probably why you see really neglected Toyota’s turn a powdery/matte white with time.

The 3rd gen 4Runner I had was a Florida vehicle and must’ve never been washed or waxed. Was in a minor accident one day and had the fenders and front grille trim replaced. Body shop shot the panels with the OEM paint specs. Difference in those new panels to the old ones really showed how terrible the original paint faired.

My problem with Toyota’s white paint is even if you don’t have the peel that’s been rather isolated to super white or pearl, you still have a paint that chips like crazy. Never had my other color vehicles chip as much as the Toyota white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom