Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for 200s (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The factory sender has two pins and is resistance based. The value at Full is 15 ohm and at empty is 410 ohm.

Thanks,

This is what I am trying to connect up, and my other vehicle with a different brand of aux tank works this way.

I am trying to get the auto fill working. The black-white wire on the aux tank pump controller is used for auto fill and needs from zero to 5 volts to control it.

Then you can code the aux fuel pump to turn on if the main tank is between ¼ and ¾, and turn off if either the aux tank empties or the main reaches ¾ full. (similar to the military diesel generators).

And how to do this without interfering with the main fuel gauge?

And I was trying to find which wire was the fuel sending wire up at cluster ( the gauge panel).

fuel-guage-voltage-autofill-set.JPG

fuel-guage-electrical-02.JPG

fuel-guage-voltage-main.JPG

The easiest place to get to the main tank (US factory) fuel sender is EK1 pin 6 and 7, it's in the left kick, part of the 2nd from the bottom big plastic connector, in the top right. I don't know the voltage or current that is put on the circuit to judge the gauge sweep, but assume it is 12v, and not very much current.

What' you're looking to do is possible, and I suspect the transistor and potentiometer to control it are already built into the fuel sender. The difficulty is getting a voltage source . . . . try tapping pin 7 or 6 and see what voltage is there? The Combination Meter is putting some base voltage there to sweep the gauge.

The easiest place to get to the main tank (US factory) fuel sender is EK1 pin 6 and 7, it's in the left kick, part of the 2nd from the bottom big plastic connector, in the top right. I don't know the voltage or current that is put on the circuit to judge the gauge sweep, but assume it is 12v, and not very much current.

What' you're looking to do is possible, and I suspect the transistor and potentiometer to control it are already built into the fuel sender. The difficulty is getting a voltage source . . . . try tapping pin 7 or 6 and see what voltage is there? The Combination Meter is putting some base voltage there to sweep the gauge.

Thanks !!

I’m seriously considering a 24g LRA. For those that have one, how many miles are you averaging with both tanks combined and has your mpg dropped with the added 144lbs of fuel weight sloshing around? Also, looking for the best rear tire swing out that doesn’t swing back in on a slight decline and allow a rear camera relocation.

I’m seriously considering a 24g LRA. For those that have one, how many miles are you averaging with both tanks combined and has your mpg dropped with the added 144lbs of fuel weight sloshing around? Also, looking for the best rear tire swing out that doesn’t swing back in on a slight decline.
You won't feel any real sloshing. The rear will sag if on light springs, adding both the bumper and tank. (And hanging the spare out the back)
I upgraded mine to the 800lb ironman rear springs and run airbags at the minimal 5psi.

Here a picture of ek1 with pins 6 and 7 the yellow and black starting the 2nd row of the white sub connector

View attachment 2629664

THANKS !!!!

I'll have to double check to see if I tapped into the correct wire when I had it apart. Hopefully I did, I took some picture at the time, and haven't atached the wire to anything yet.

I’m seriously considering a 24g LRA. For those that have one, how many miles are you averaging with both tanks combined and has your mpg dropped with the added 144lbs of fuel weight sloshing around? Also, looking for the best rear tire swing out that doesn’t swing back in on a slight decline and allow a rear camera relocation.

Not an exact answer to your question, but I have the 12.5 gallon LRA tank. I haven't documented mileage, but I've gone from being frustrated with how often I have to fill up to it not being an issue. I consistently get 12 to 12.5 gallons in the aux tank. I got 12.75 gallons in the first time I filled it.

I once had an RLC bumper with spare swing out and hated it. Nothing necessarily against the bumper, but the act of swinging the tire each time I wanted access to the hatch or tailgate was more frustrating than the poor range with the small fuel tank. Due to how low the spare sits now, I wish I had a 24 gallon LRA tank and good solution to store the spare vertically in the left rear of the vehicle. Something like this: Interior Tire Carrier and Storage Platform - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/interior-tire-carrier-and-storage-platform.1169824/page-2#post-13065351
but I already have ARB drawers, so the spare may not fit vertically.

I have a 40 and at full, half or almost empty there is no perceptible sloshing. I used to get a little over 300 miles on the factory tank. Still get around 14-14.5 MPG so from there whether it is 12.5, 24 or 40 it's just about the math as far as range goes. I had Ed Martin do the install and I was able to drive the 600+ miles home without filling up and drive around most of the following week too before I had to get fuel. I just filled up yesterday and the last time I had to get gas was 3 1/2 weeks ago. All depends on how much you drive, but that's a big positive for me - the time between fill-ups.

Not an exact answer to your question, but I have the 12.5 gallon LRA tank. I haven't documented mileage, but I've gone from being frustrated with how often I have to fill up to it not being an issue. I consistently get 12 to 12.5 gallons in the aux tank. I got 12.75 gallons in the first time I filled it.

I once had an RLC bumper with spare swing out and hated it. Nothing necessarily against the bumper, but the act of swinging the tire each time I wanted access to the hatch or tailgate was more frustrating than the poor range with the small fuel tank. Due to how low the spare sits now, I wish I had a 24 gallon LRA tank and good solution to store the spare vertically in the left rear of the vehicle. Something like this: Interior Tire Carrier and Storage Platform - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/interior-tire-carrier-and-storage-platform.1169824/page-2#post-13065351
but I already have ARB drawers, so the spare may not fit vertically.
I agree about the rear tire swing out. For daily use, it’s a bit of a pain for sure. Unfortunately, I need the cargo space and only option is tire swing out and I don’t like the idea of my spare sitting any lower. When I need to change a flat, having the tire located on a swing out will make it less of pain. Granted, I haven’t had a flat in years. 🤣

I have a 40 and at full, half or almost empty there is no perceptible sloshing. I used to get a little over 300 miles on the factory tank. Still get around 14-14.5 MPG so from there whether it is 12.5, 24 or 40 it's just about the math as far as range goes. I had Ed Martin do the install and I was able to drive the 600+ miles home without filling up and drive around most of the following week too before I had to get fuel. I just filled up yesterday and the last time I had to get gas was 3 1/2 weeks ago. All depends on how much you drive, but that's a big positive for me - the time between fill-ups.
I am considering a 40 as well or a 24. Does the 40 get scraped often on rough terrains?

I am considering a 40 as well or a 24. Does the 40 get scraped often on rough terrains?

No absolute answers on that.
My 24 is armored, but I’ve never managed to hit it as it’s super tucked.
Everything Elster under my truck has been hit hard…but not the 24.
If I had the 40…I would definitely be hitting it…but if you up-armor (Valley Hybrids will do this for you for a very reasonable amount—weld additional plate on the bottom), I think it would easily handle the beating.

Part of my wishes I got the 40…but the 24 tucks so nicely that no one even realizes it’s there. -A good thing under certain circumstnces.

The other thing I like about the 24 is that it’s far easier to keep a handle on exactly how much fuel you have left. I simply wait until my main is basically empty…then start transferring a full tank fill.

Do you still have your exhaust resonator? If you tore off or dented up your resonator then you want the 24, if not then the 40 is likely fine for you. The 40 and the resonator are about the same height.

I have the 40 and I have not scraped it yet, and I love the range! I'm more trail running and overlanding than rock crawling.

It does. But only on crazy stuff

Do you still have your exhaust resonator? If you tore off or dented up your resonator then you want the 24, if not then the 40 is likely fine for you. The 40 and the resonator are about the same height.

I have the 40 and I have not scraped it yet, and I love the range! I'm more trail running and overlanding than rock crawling.

I cut out my useless resonator a couple years ago and re-routed the pipe. If anyone is concerned about running without it…don’t be. Make nearly no audible difference… and it no longer gets smashed.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Colorado that can install the 12.5G unit?

Slee Offroad

Can anyone recommend a shop in Colorado that can install the 12.5G unit?

Slee is an easy choice…but they are usually extremely busy/scheduled. Plan ahead…

Slee is an easy choice…but they are usually extremely busy/scheduled. Plan ahead…
And Christo (or whoever uses the SleeOffroad account) said as recently as last week that they don't install the 12.5 gallon LRA for various reasons (potential for callbacks for noises, rubbing, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom