Aux Reverse lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
Has anyone wired up aux reverse lights? I'm getting a hitch mounted tire carrier that will block the reverse lights. The carrier has tabs for aux lights.

Is the stock circuit strong enough to run a couple of small LED lights by tapping into the backup light wiring? I figure with the low amperage of LED lights it could be possible with out an issue.

Shouldn't be any problem at all tapping into the existing reverse lights. Could also be easier to plug or splice into the 7-pin trailer connector.

1574309586127.png

Thanks . I pull a trailer so I'd have to find the backside of the trailer plug . I was thinking of just snaking a wire in between the lens and tap the BU light wire.

I think your choice of taps is a good one for the trigger source on a relay. Even if you run small LEDs, I would pull the power from the battery, triggered by either your reverse lights or a switch somewhere. Fused, switched power is really the safest way to do this. Its your truck but it is not how I would handle it.

I have a pair of Rigid-style LED floods in my RLC rear bumper, and I was nervous about just tagging into the factory reverse light circuit. So, I actually removed the trailer harness, carefully peeled it open and spliced into the reverse circuit for the trailer, which is on a separate fuse, I think 10A. While I was there I also pulled feeds for constant hot and taillights, as I plan to use them if I ever install the swingout. I soldered everything, lots of heat shrink, then lots of tape on the loom, re-installed.

I use this reverse circuit to fire a relay that is in the right storage cavity in the ARB drawers. This is fed from a 12-circuit fuse box, connected to the second battery, so the lights are actually on their own dedicated fuse.

I have a pair of Rigid-style LED floods in my RLC rear bumper, and I was nervous about just tagging into the factory reverse light circuit. So, I actually removed the trailer harness, carefully peeled it open and spliced into the reverse circuit for the trailer, which is on a separate fuse, I think 10A. While I was there I also pulled feeds for constant hot and taillights, as I plan to use them if I ever install the swingout. I soldered everything, lots of heat shrink, then lots of tape on the loom, re-installed.

I use this reverse circuit to fire a relay that is in the right storage cavity in the ARB drawers. This is fed from a 12-circuit fuse box, connected to the second battery, so the lights are actually on their own dedicated fuse.
This..... Safest and most reliable way to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom