AutoSock. Anyone using these in snow/ice conditions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

7000ft

SILVER Star
Threads
I live at 7'000 feet (Flagstaff, AZ) and though we can get enormous amount so snow at times, my LC200 has always been able to get thru it. The only issue might be coming up coming up 'the hill" I17 and being stopped for not having chains by the DPS. I'd rather not have to go thru the hassle of an argument over the ability of the Cruiser with a guy who is driving a Chevy Tahoe with chains and or studs.
A Fed-Ex driver friend here showed me what Fed-Ex uses on all of their Northern AZ delivery trucks. Easier to install than chains and he claims gets mostly the same performance. The system is called AutoSock (developed in Norway). This link is for 285x65x18 tires: AutoSock - AUTOSOCK PASSENGER 870 - AS870 | B2B Distribution Ecommerce | EnterpriStore for Infor ERP SX.e, Facts and Cloudsuite - AutoSock - AutoSock McGee Company / AutoSock - https://shopautosock.mcgeecompany.com/passenger-autosock-870/p25249/ . Would need two packages to cover all four tires.
A fairly expensive item for the few times a year I might be caught away from home,

If your intent is to carry for purposes of just the check points, is one set not enough?

I've heard good reviews on this type of traction device.

I wonder if they have ones that fit larger 35x12.5 tires?

If your intent is to carry for purposes of just the check points, is one set not enough?

I've heard good reviews on this type of traction device.

I wonder if they have ones that fit larger 35x12.5 tires?
No, I'd put both sets on if the conditions warranted it. I've bee on that steep climb enough to know that one patch of ice and off you go! Looking for an alternative to chains. Here is the link for sizing: AutoSock - https://shopautosock.mcgeecompany.com/#find-size

Last edited:

Make sure they fit in the front. On my LX they will not work. Basically, nothing really works on the front of my LX with OEM tires (285R20). The clearance to the suspension is just too small. Toyota also says no chains on front.

I decided that I'll go with rear chains only. Not worth to damage the truck.

That video is not fair comparison. How many people drive with V bar chains? A regular chain would be fair comparison.

But the sock test by itself is kind of Ok. Although you should not spin any traction device as it can damage the vehicle.

To OP if you want to get sock type device shop around as there are better ones than the one you posted. I saw socks used by the big semi on I90 over Snoqualmie Pass. Those are different and if they're good for those beasts they sure good for your truck. But maybe not for the fronts.

The socks work on ice and packed snow. But I have not seen tests for deep snow where the cables and chains work well. They cover the thread voids, not a good thing.

I wasn't impressed at all. I would stick with chains.

Most of the restrictions I've seen call for chains OR a 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated tire. Is it different up there?

Might be interesting up front given the limited clearance many of us have. Personally I have a set of Z chains for my rear if I ever need to chain up. I’ve used them on other vehicles on steep switchbacks (270 degree turns, 1st gear or stall it grades) in snow and ice and they worked well. I ran them on the front of my 4R and the wife’s civic and no interference issues, albeit on stock tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom