Auto tranny shifter for SBC conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you who have done V8/auto trans swaps, what shifter have you all used. I am doing the 350tbi/700r4 swap on my 83 wagon.

Pictures greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Meatloaf :beer:

Stock FJ62 shifter ;)

B&M (forget which model but will check if you want) on a 4L60E (700R4 with computer control).

I've seen the Lokar somewhere here on Mud that installs in the stock manual shifter location - Lokar makes a remote gear indicator for the dash since it's hard to tell what gear you're in from the shifter. Wish I'd done that 'cause it'd match my Lokar pedals & look stock.

B&M sportshifter However I like the idea of using the stock 60 stick with a homemade linkage

B&M Mega Shifter. If you can get the stock stuff to work, I agree that would be a nicer look. And yes I still need to make a boot for my triple stick setup, I usually just run a towel in the hole.
Mud 2.jpg

I am planning to run an Art Carr unit. Not cheap nor stock but probably the best unit out there.

I have heard that a stock 62 ubit isn't quite right for the 700r4. Can't remember exactly why it's not right but just that it's got some issues. LandCruiserPhil is running an 80's Camaro shifter in his rig and I've heard that it looks like it belongs there. I still haven't gone over to check it out though. I'll see if he has any pics he can post up.

TOY350 said:
B&M Mega Shifter. If you can get the stock stuff to work, I agree that would be a nicer look. And yes I still need to make a boot for my triple stick setup, I usually just run a towel in the hole.

beauty 60 series dude .. nice and clean swaps.

B&M Unimatic. About $100, and it works great. I personally can't stand how a lot of aftermarket shifters look (like the megashifter above), with the box mounted on the tranny hump like that. Just my personal tastes.

Toy350. Can you illuminate the gear indicator and read it at night?

I ran a Lokar street rod shifter in the 350/TH350 FJ55. Check www.jegs.com , it seemed like they had the most reasonable prices.

I have run a B&M Megashifter in another vehicle, and it was OK, but not nearly as solid as the Lokar.

Hodag

I used a Lokar for my 700r4. Easy install and used the stock shifter boot for a clean install.

hi50phd said:
Toy350. Can you illuminate the gear indicator and read it at night?

Sorry for the delay. Yep I can read it and I even put a green rubber cap on the bulb so the light matches the factory gauges with their green hue.

B+m

Toy350.

Sorry to keep bothering you. I talked to B+M tech support today and got a confusing description of how the shifter works, in practice. The fellow kept on say something about racheting up and down the gears.

Question: does the shifter allow you to hold 1st, 2nd and 3rd? My ECM supposedly will allow manual control of the 4L60E.

Thanks, again.

You can put the shifter in D, 2 or 1 and it will not let it shift to the next higher gear BUT it still will downshift when needed (on my TH400 at least). I do beleive that is a transmission characteristic of being able to hold a gear without it up or down shifting.

The whole ratcheting thing is pretty simple once you can get your hands on it and see how it works.

Hope that helps, if you still need more info send me a PM and will bore you with whatever details I can come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom