Auto or manual trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I read the specks correct, the auto trans will have FTFWD while the manual trans will have a locking center diff? will both have traction control? I lost the link for the FJ build page so I couldn’t reread the specks.
I’m thinking the auto trans with FTFWD & traction control would be a better setup? Any comments?
DMX

Not to hijack your thread, but I have the same questions. What are people ordering out there? Want a DD with moderate wheeling in mind. Thanks, Jim

personally, I'd take a true locker over anything automated in a heartbeat....while the auto-trac stuff will work great, and be excellent in daily driver situations as well, a blown fuse/pinched wire/etc may "end" your wheelin weekend...plus all that new-fangled stuff that causes the trac system to operate is just another possibility for issues.

when it comes to offroad-type vehicles, simple is better, every time.

DMX84 said:
If I read the specks correct, the auto trans will have FTFWD while the manual trans will have a locking center diff? will both have traction control? I lost the link for the FJ build page so I couldn’t reread the specks.
I’m thinking the auto trans with FTFWD & traction control would be a better setup? Any comments?
DMX
You have this somewhat backwards, The Auto has a part time 4wd tcase, the Manual has a full time 4wd tcase with the ability to lock/unlock the center diff in hi or low. They both have the rear elocker and Trac as an option.

i have ordered the base model manual
fulltime 4wd
trac
lockable centre diff with torsen limited slip
rear locker
all the other acronyms

from offroad perspective, all the base model is lacking is atrac instead of trac

i understand that trac is "onroad" traction control while atract is "offroad" traction control. in crude terms think of trac as mimicking a limited slip diff while atrac mimics a locker. I assume that in certain circumstances they do a better job than their mechanical counterparts but sometimes not.

you can add an arb switchable front locker for $750 plus the compressor so adding a true front locker is much cheaper than paying for atrac.

front/central/rear lockers is all I've ever needed on the 80 so my view is that even if atrac is better than a front locker, I don't need it. So I wouldn't pay extra to get atrac unless the other options that come with it are worth it to you.

I'm going to get a manual. And that is just a personality thing. I've had an auto for 8 years now and I miss shifting when I want as well as pulling into a parking space, comming to a stop & dumping the clutch. In gear. Then leaving a note on the car I accidently ran into. I've heard the rumors about the ragtop & Special Edition but the SE would be even more overkill for me & I like having lockable space for the camera/dive/bike stuff.
I'm not hard core nor am I a fluff. I'm kinda middle of the road & the way the Cruiser is comming from the factory seems to be exactly what I want. I do reserve the right to change my mind at some point in the future:) Maybe some cool 38's, totally new suspension, dual lockers, no glass, full cage, you know - the little fun things.

firetruck41 said:
You have this somewhat backwards, The Auto has a part time 4wd tcase, the Manual has a full time 4wd tcase with the ability to lock/unlock the center diff in hi or low. They both have the rear elocker and Trac as an option.

I knew something was wrong when I was asking the question:rolleyes: , thanks for clearing it up.
I’m still not convinced in getting the manual tranny. it does sound better.

Manual transmissions will be about 15% of total production.

39% in Canada

VoodooBlue said:
I'm going to get a manual. And that is just a personality thing. I've had an auto for 8 years now and I miss shifting when I want as well as pulling into a parking space, comming to a stop & dumping the clutch. In gear. Then leaving a note on the car I accidently ran into.

Excellent, VoodooBlue. My 2 year old wants to know why I am laughing so much.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom