Auto gearbox about to fail and/or engine failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to ask for help. Could not find a thread with similar problemas.
I have a 1999 100 4.2TD 347.000km with the four speed auto and I am not sure what is going on. Engine/gearbox or both?

First I thought that the engine lacks power (maybe it does) The car feels slow and I have to use a lot of pedal to get it going. A nightmare to drive with even a 1 tonne trailer. My 125hp Prado 90 series almost feels stronger.
Pedal to the floor to go uphill. It does not feel like a 204hp engine with 4.2 litres. My 175hp diesel Alfa Romeo with a 2.4TD engine cruises up there with the same trailer.

Slowing down and going around a roundabout is best if I put it in 2nd. If I don't do it I have to use a lot of pedal and it gets a hard downshift.
From standstill with the pedal to the floor it is faster than the prado. But still feels like lots of noise and little go...

Drove down a steep gravel hill and put it in 1st for engine braking and the gearbox made an awful sound after about 15 seconds with some vibration.
Did the same in 2nd at then I can barely hear some of the same noise, but no vibration.

Besides this the car feels "normal" Linear engine power. Smooth gearshifts under normal driving.
Gearbox oil is recently replaced at a Toyota dealer.
No stored fault codes.

Maybe diesel pump or Turbo failure? (No Turbo sound)
Or is the gearbox about to go the same way as my front diff recently did? Found info online that a gearbox about to fail could make the car feel lazy.

Cheers

Torque converter maybe?

You could check the EGR or intake isn't gummed up, Injector clean and compression test but if the engine isn't smoking or has excessive blowby probably won't be the case and those engines are built like a tank too. I'd be more inclined to get the trans looked at due to what you're describing

The 175hp Alfa weights what, 1200-1300kg? The 204hp HDJ100 is 2700kg with no fuel 🤷‍♂️
Also the alfa probably has 130-150hp at the wheels. The HDJ has 120, as measured on a dyno.

The 175hp Alfa weights what, 1200-1300kg? The 204hp HDJ100 is 2700kg with no fuel 🤷‍♂️
Also the alfa probably has 130-150hp at the wheels. The HDJ has 120, as measured on a dyno.
That is correct. But this was towing a trailer uphill and if the torque in the Landcruiser is not better than the Alfa under that circumstance I will be seriously disappointed.

You could check the EGR or intake isn't gummed up, Injector clean and compression test but if the engine isn't smoking or has excessive blowby probably won't be the case and those engines are built like a tank too. I'd be more inclined to get the trans looked at due to what you're describing
Thanks.
Diesel system is recently cleaned and injectors are checked, no blowby to mention, no starting problems and no smoke at all, actually maybe too little smoke?
Will have a look at the egr system and check if the Turbo has excessive play or is binding.

Your diesel system may have been cleaned and injectors checked, but the engine is direct Injection with no way to clean the intake runners or cross over pipe. I recently did a valve adjustment and took the cross over pipe off to find the soot starts at the egr valve and builds ferociously farther down the intake. What you described could possibly be bad AFR due to stuck egr or clogged intake. Easy enough to clean and delete the egr. Also mentioned in above comment, could be torque converter on its way out, IIRC a lot of the 1HD had torque converters replaced under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom