Auto Darkening Hoods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

according to my instructor, if your work involves a lot of off-position welding and cage building, get the Pro Elite because it has 4 sensors. problem for single sensor A/D helmet is if the sensor is blocked by forigen object between your torch and helmet, your lens won't turn dark. for the Pro Elite or others, even 3 out of 4 sensors are blocked, your lens still protects you.

Miller Digital Elite will work even better. It detects magnetic fields so it will work even if all 4 sensors are blocked.

Reviving this thread!

Looking for a home shop welder grade AD helmet - $ is an issue... Will be mig and arc welding.
Is this a good deal?

WH JACKSON JOURNEYMAN EQC HELMET JAC0744-0764
$198.01 On Sale! $99.00

Welding Helmets - Electronic

Reviving this thread!

Looking for a home shop welder grade AD helmet - $ is an issue... Will be mig and arc welding.
Is this a good deal?

WH JACKSON JOURNEYMAN EQC HELMET JAC0744-0764
$198.01 On Sale! $99.00

Welding Helmets - Electronic

I like a big window and own a Jackson NexGen I have been happy with for a few years. The window on the Journeyman is too small for my liking. If you are happy with the window size I am sure that is a fine helmet for the money.

Last edited:
I'm all for auto darkening helmets and the one you note doesn't appear to be a bad deal but I'm a little leery of inexpensive AD helmets. I spent a few grand on my eyes several years ago so I won't skimp on eye protection. That said I have a 3M Speedglas 9002V and have been very happy with it. If I was on a budget I would probably give the helmet below a shot. Even though it is a fixed shade for just over $100 with the ease of operation it may be worth a shot.

http://www.accustrike.com/order.htm

whoah!

well, I'm really a total beginner fool with welding. Practically no experience.

Well, in that context, I must say that the AD helmets are fantastic! I got the second to cheapest one from HF (being very wary of that, I read plenty of surprisingly complimentary reviews, all good basically, even for the cheapest one) to try out the concept.

What a pleasure! Makes the beginning welding a pleasure rather than frustration. I felt like I could not see a thing with the fixed 10s (?) in the shop. Like being blind. And starting the weld with a MIG gun was like crapshoot. No idea where it would end up... Of course, I'm sure that can be learned, but hard for me as a newbie.

Plus, one very nice aspect of the AD I did not anticipate is the adjustable settings. Great to be able to do a 9 for light amps vs 10 or more when needed, and again see things better every time.

I'm still a bit scared of the thing so I close my eyes on start up to be sure not to get flashed but so far so good, the thing darkens fine....

Highly recommended concept!

I'm still a bit scared of the thing so I close my eyes on start up to be sure not to get flashed but so far so good, the thing darkens fine....

Highly recommended concept!

I'm a total fan of the auto dark units. CSS with the fixed #10.

Funny, I close my eyes for the brief second before the arc starts-then I can focus faster on the puddle. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it works for me. Also, I take off my glasses to weld and focus at my myopic focal distance. The last few years that damn presbyopia has taken a major toll.

I've had a couple of HF auto darks-they are OK, but I'm buying a good helmet this month, probably a Miller Elite. Any changes in the recommendations from the group? Charles?

I'm a total fan of the auto dark units. CSS with the fixed #10.

Funny, I close my eyes for the brief second before the arc starts-then I can focus faster on the puddle. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it works for me. Also, I take off my glasses to weld and focus at my myopic focal distance. The last few years that damn presbyopia has taken a major toll.

I've had a couple of HF auto darks-they are OK, but I'm buying a good helmet this month, probably a Miller Elite. Any changes in the recommendations from the group? Charles?

Andrew,

I'll send you a PM. I have a lead on a very nice unit.

I like the Jackson Nexgen AD lenses. I prefer the brown color over the Miller's yellow/green tint in their AD lenses. Really comes down to personal preference. Jacksons have lousy headgear compared to the Millers.

Charles

I love my AD helmet, I learned with the flip ups and I'll never go back to the regular flip ups if i have the choice. I don't know how welders were able to use them under a car when there's no room to have the helmet in the up position, and definitely no room to be able to flip it down.

I finally broke down and upgraded my HF helmet to a speedglas 9100. I like the fact that it has additional lighter shades for plasma cutting and grinding. And it has the side windows which are a nice feature so you can see what's going on around you without having the tunnel vision. A better helmet didn't make me a better welder, but at least it's a lot less frustrating in certain areas. The HF are pretty decent, but if you're planning on welding for a while, it probably makes sense to invest more in the helmet.

i got an optrel satelite, it's excellent. shades 5-13 gride setting is good to use with cutting torch.
i found that i only really needed the auto darkening when i was learning. now i can use older non darkening lid with no trouble.
i sure made a mess of things before i tried auto darkening lid.
makes you appreciate the work you do when you have some skillz.

i got an optrel satelite, it's excellent. shades 5-13 gride setting is good to use with cutting torch.

That's what I bought yesterday. I can't wait to get my 240V outlet wired in!!!

I really like using them, but I do have to be careful how I use it. The first few times I used one, I had a raging headache shortly afterward. I think what I have concluded is that the lens didn't react quite fast enough, so some of the flash was "getting thru" and hurting my eyes. What I do now is get all in position, and just before I pull the trigger I close my eyes for just an instant, when I hear the crackle start I open them and weld away.

Maybe the newer helmets are more sensitive and react faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom