Auto Darkening Hoods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost a year, so I am resurrecting the thread.

Here is the deal.

I have about 250 dollars in Amazon.com gift certificates and I have been trying to figure out what to get with them.

All I have right now is a cheap HF auto dark helmet and after today I remembered that many mudders say you get what you pay for in a helmet.

If someone with some insight does not mind, I would greatly appreciate them doing a search on amazon for "auto-darkening" and helping me pick from the models listed. There is only one page of helmets in the above 100 dollar range when sorted from high to low price.

There have been several recommendations for Jackson on this thread, but there is only one helmet there and it is about 75 dollars which is not much more than a cheapie somewhere.

I don't see anything good on Amazon that I would buy. I'd spend $218 and buy a Miller Elite (black color) off of ebay.
MILLER ELITE AUTO WELDING HELMET BLACK 216322 NEW - eBay (item 140195021744 end time Jan-08-08 22:00:59 PST)

Most of the low priced helmet (including the $199 Hobart) have small viewing lens. I'd find something else to buy on Amazon like welding supplies or movies.

Search Amazon for Jackson Nexgen EQC Variable Welding Helmet. It is $243.36. Has the feature to set between grind (shade 3), oxy (shade 5) and welding (9-13 adjustable).

This is similar to the Jackson Boss I have, except I think the Boss has a little more viewing area. Have had mine a few months and am very happy with it. I admit I am really new to welding and this is the only helmet I have ever owned, although I used a fixed shade helmet in my first few welding classes. The autodark sure is nice.

The grinding setting is not that helpful since I have to take my helmet and glove off to change the setting from weld to grind. Easier to just flip it up and rely on my safety glasses. It would be fine for a lot of grinding, but for intermittent welding it seems more trouble than it is worth.

Amazon also has Speedglas. 3M bought out Hornell. The units are mfg in Sweden IIRC. Hey if Volvo's are safe the helmets must be pretty good as well.

Hoods

I finally just broke down and bought the Miller Performance series.

It was about $230.00 from my local store. I love it. It's got every possible adjustment you could ever need.

I got the American Flag with the eagle on it. It's a sweet hood.

It's nice not having to flip the hood all the time. Especially if welding out of position, I tended to move when I flipped the hood down.

JR
ps_americaseagle0.jpg

Just got new Miller 180 today. Should get new 220 outlet ran in shop tomorrw and begin to practice my mig welding skills. Have two older welding hoods I used with cracker box stick welder. Are the auto darkening hoods worth the $$? Seems like it would be a real nice thing to be able to see exactly what your fixing to weld the instant before the arc occurs.

I guess if you practice enough with the standard hood, like any thing else, you would eventually get good enough to put the gun tip exactly on the spot you intend to strick the arc.

What are some opinons from those who use these a.d. hoods?

I have one and wouldn't be without it now. Like you said it is SO nice to see where the rod is the instant before you arc. Only issue with mine is , maybe all others too, that is goes into dark mode the second you look upwards above a certain degree.
Hope this helps, Larry

I welded for many, ~20 years with a non A/D Jackson helmet that was a hand me down from my Grandfather's welding shop when he passed away.

About a year and a half ago I bought a Jackson Journeyman V-HTLS A/D helmet for about $170. I have used it a lot in a lot of different welding environments and it has performed flawlessly. I have welded with it in bright sunlight, underneath things in almost total darkness, sideways and right side up. I could never go back to my old helmet.

It really helps a lot when welding sheet metal where you are doing a lot of short/fast welds in random areas to keep from overheating the metal. Good luck with your decision.

Search Amazon for Jackson Nexgen EQC Variable Welding Helmet. It is $243.36. Has the feature to set between grind (shade 3), oxy (shade 5) and welding (9-13 adjustable).

This is similar to the Jackson Boss I have, except I think the Boss has a little more viewing area. Have had mine a few months and am very happy with it. I admit I am really new to welding and this is the only helmet I have ever owned, although I used a fixed shade helmet in my first few welding classes. The autodark sure is nice.

The grinding setting is not that helpful since I have to take my helmet and glove off to change the setting from weld to grind. Easier to just flip it up and rely on my safety glasses. It would be fine for a lot of grinding, but for intermittent welding it seems more trouble than it is worth.

This is what I got, I can't believe what a difference it made in welding. That and Ullr was going to start charging me if I used his lid anymore.

Drew

Pulled the trigger on the Jackson Nexgen EQC Variable Welding Helmet. Thanks to everyone for the input.:cheers:

the non darkening hoods are lots safer.

Not true. The fixed lense on auto darkening hoods are the UV protection that protects your retina. The darkening feature it just to allow you to clearly see what you're doing. Most newer auto hoods have a multiple grind settings and one of the levels gives no shade.

Just got new Miller 180 today. Should get new 220 outlet ran in shop tomorrw and begin to practice my mig welding skills. Have two older welding hoods I used with cracker box stick welder. Are the auto darkening hoods worth the $$? Seems like it would be a real nice thing to be able to see exactly what your fixing to weld the instant before the arc occurs.

I guess if you practice enough with the standard hood, like any thing else, you would eventually get good enough to put the gun tip exactly on the spot you intend to strick the arc.

What are some opinons from those who use these a.d. hoods?

I like my nex gen by jackson. On ebay they are going for $220 new. Action shots...
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg

Amazon also has Speedglas. 3M bought out Hornell. The units are mfg in Sweden IIRC. Hey if Volvo's are safe the helmets must be pretty good as well.

This is what I have. Unfortunly :crybaby: ,mine dosent have a fresh air setup like the one I use at work. We weld mainly galvinized, so the fresh air option is nice. Al

well, I just started to learn how to weld properly... As expected, way harder than most people think.

first observation: getting started with the bead at the right place is indeed a problem, esp. with my old eyes... So, considering an A/D helmet to get started better and easier.

Asked my shop guy. He said they gave up on them cuz they had to change the battery after every use. Odd. Was this a bum helmet or old tech? How often do you need to change the batts? I've seen some with solar cells. This good?

I am very happy with my Jackson EQC I purchased in my previous post. Large viewing area. Works well. I would buy another.

well, was at HF today. Remembered somebody saying he had good luck with the HF hood.
Looked at them. (Looked pretty flimsy I must say, although the red skull one was bizarre in some weird way...)
Looked around the store.
Thought: "do I want to entrust my eyes to the guys that build some of this crappy stuff...?

Decided, nope, I like my eyes too much...

So, I think I'll buy a reputable brand for this, I think... :)

(even though, I'll go to HF buy a toy every chance I get... :D)

Auto Dark is the way

I use an ad helmet from Harbor Freight, even with the extended warranty it cost me less than $90. I have never had a problem with it.

they were $50 today on sale, down from $70.
what scares me is the notion that the electric system could suddenly conk out and the thing go clear in the middle of when I'm really concentrating on the puddle...

they were $50 today on sale, down from $70.
what scares me is the notion that the electric system could suddenly conk out and the thing go clear in the middle of when I'm really concentrating on the puddle...

I was also afraid of the same thing, but the darkening feature have nothing to do with the UV and IR protection, it's the clear plastic that filters out the harmful rays. So even if the electronics crap out, your eyes are still protected.

I have the HF one and it's working fine, but then I don't weld a whole lot. Once i get my own welder I'll probably spring for a better helmet just because of the comfort.

at my welding class, my instructor has a Miller Pro Elite large lense, the TA has a Speedglas 9002V. both are adjustable #9-13 shade, solid quality. if i were to chose one between them, i'd go with Speedglas, simply, it's lighter more comfy.

according to my instructor, if your work involves a lot of off-position welding and cage building, get the Pro Elite because it has 4 sensors. problem for single sensor A/D helmet is if the sensor is blocked by forigen object between your torch and helmet, your lens won't turn dark. for the Pro Elite or others, even 3 out of 4 sensors are blocked, your lens still protects you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom