Australian Cruiser specs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What engines were offered in the 60 and 80 series (and any 100's with solid front axles) in Australia. I am also interested in anyones first hand experience with any of the diesel engines - good or bad.

Thanks

60/61/62: 2H, 12HT, 2F, 3F
80: 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT, 3FE, 1FZF, 1FZFE.

Dave

The 60 had the 2F,3F petrol and 2H ,12HT diesels.
No 3B in any 60s here.

The 80 had a 3Fe, 1FZ petrol and 1HZ ,1HD-T and 1HD-FT?

The solid axles are 105 series and had a 1HZ, 1HD diesel and 1FZ petrol.

Looks like Quickdraw Mcgraw got me by a minute:D

I know you are looking forward to picking up a Landcruiser when you get down here, but you have a 1988 FJ 62, don't you? Just food for thought - 1988 is the last year, IIRC, that can be imported to Australia under the new laws. 1989 and newer can only be imported if they are truly a specialty car, like a Ferrari or something.

If your truck is in good condition, it might be worth it as used Landcruisers down here really run the gamut from pretty good condition to rusting through, and they are expensive compared to good condition used models in the US. It's just not the same as the US where even the worst maintained landcruiser still probably cleans up and runs well. They really get beat up here, because they are used as work trucks.

I brought down a shipping container full of household stuff in 2003, and decided against bringing my 1993 Landcruiser in pristine condition, 138K miles, all options. Sold it for $10,500. Turns out the same car would have cost $20-25K to replace down here, if I could even find one with a factory sunroof, factory window tint and a few other non-mechanical but expensive and important "daily-driver" items. I really kick myself sometimes, when I get in my RHD 80 down here with no sunroof, peeling after market tint, dealer A/C, no cruise control, no rear heat...

Anyway I could have put the Landcruiser in the 40' shipping container for a few hundred dollars (at that time, it might have been possible to get a 93 car in, but if not that, my '69 Porsche 912, which I regret not bringing even more, but that's another sad story :frown: ). My point is that if you are going to spend a few thousand on a shipping container, and you already have a good truck, even though you'll have your steering wheel on the "wrong" side, it's worth considering.

I've gotten long-winded - sorry about that.

David

Engines for the hj45 & 47

Ok then what engines and years were avaialble for the hj45 & hj47

kkt said:
Ok then what engines and years were avaialble for the hj45 & hj47

Thats easy, H or 2H:D The 2H come in about 80-81

Reminds me of the old Russian joke .Man goes into the state run supermarket and asks the woman behind the counter "how many flavours of yogurt do you have?"
Answer from the woman "2 flavours ,todays or yesterdays:D

Last edited:
Rosco, good one :D

OzCal, don't you have to have the vehicles converted to RHD if you were to keep the vehicle in Oz? I thought the LHD permit is only for temporary visitors. Watch out, there will be people offering to send you US models in trade for Oz models :)

Dave

That is food for thought OZCAL. Do you know where I can find the definition of a "speciality" car? We have a low mile 1999 Suburban that is great for the family but I know that they were not really very popular in Australia so they migh be considered speciality.

As I recall the conversion to RHD is now very costly (read "tight government regulations") so if it is necessary to do the swtch to RHD then that might negate the savings of importing the truck(s). I will need to investigate.

roscoFJ73 said:
The 60 had the 2F,3F petrol and 2H ,12HT diesels.
No 3B in any 60s here.

The 80 had a 3Fe, 1FZ petrol and 1HZ ,1HD-T and 1HD-FT?

The solid axles are 105 series and had a 1HZ, 1HD diesel and 1FZ petrol.

What is the difference between the 1HZ and the 1HD? Direct injection in one or turbo?

In austrlia they only buy good trucks, not chevy's fords or dodges

azaussie said:
That is food for thought OZCAL. Do you know where I can find the definition of a "speciality" car? We have a low mile 1999 Suburban that is great for the family but I know that they were not really very popular in Australia so they migh be considered speciality.

As I recall the conversion to RHD is now very costly (read "tight government regulations") so if it is necessary to do the swtch to RHD then that might negate the savings of importing the truck(s). I will need to investigate.

I'll try to find the rules. I know it is on the internet somewhere but the location escapes me at the moment. But I'm pretty sure that the basic rule is if a car is sold in Australia (by Dealers), then regular folk like us can't bring one in, unless it is 1988 or earlier. So if a Suburban (or the same car with a different name (eg Landcruiser = LX 450/470) was ever sold by Ford Australia, you can't bring in an American model.

I'm not sure about the conversion, or whether it is required. I do know that on the basic vehicle registration form for Queensland it asks whether the vehicle is left or right hand drive; not sure whether it is an automatic denial if you check the LHD box.

For starters, so you can compare apples to apples, you might take a look at something like the Sydney Morning Herald classifieds for car listings, see what 60s are going for. smh.com.au.

I'll try to find those importing rules for you. If it works out, maybe you can buy my Porsche back from the guy I sold it to, and I'll buy it from you when you get your shipping container unloaded :D

David

H55f

beanz2 said:
60/61/62: 2H, 12HT, 2F, 3F
80: 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT, 3FE, 1FZF, 1FZFE.

Dave
Seems like a lot of guys on the 60's board love the H55F 5 speed tranny. Did any of the Aussie cruisers come with this tranny? If so what engine was it behind.

Thanks

azaussie said:
Seems like a lot of guys on the 60's board love the H55F 5 speed tranny. Did any of the Aussie cruisers come with this tranny? If so what engine was it behind.

Thanks

Everything after 83 or 84 was available with a 5sp.

Generally ,only some of the higher spec models had an auto

azaussie said:
What is the difference between the 1HZ and the 1HD? Direct injection in one or turbo?
Eric, I only know they use the one block for everything now so Im assuming they are turbo ready:D

roscoFJ73 said:
Everything after 83 or 84 was available with a 5sp.

Generally ,only some of the higher spec models had an auto

As I recall reading in one of the Aussie Mags the 5 speed that came in the early 60 series trucks was just a 4 speed with an extra cog added and it was not very strong. But over on the 60 board guys rave about this H55F tranny and I was wondering if it is the same one that the Aussie mag bashed or if it is a different one. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom