Aussie Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know anything about these new Aussie Lockers I have been hearing about? They seem to be much cheaper and from what they advertise, much smoother and quieter than other lockers. If anyone has any info let me know.

They're on the new 40 I bought. My personal opinion after driving on-road with these is that if I ever have to do it again, I would go with selectable ARB's.

These are much less expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Put one in the '76 FJ40. You will need to get used to slow cornering with the Aussie.
Some clicking, and bucking around slow corners and asphalt. Once you get used to them, a good addition.

best $200 i've spent. running one in my 60 for about 1 1/2 years and one in my 40 for about a year...no issues.

Just dropped one in the rear of my 80. Easy install. It hasn't changed the way the rig handles at all. The only thing it does is click when I corner on the roads. I have heard in the short wheelbase rigs it will make more noise and scrub the tires a bit. I haven't been wheeling in it yet, but saturday is almost here:bounce:

fj40frk said:
Let me know how that handles offroad.

Come out saturday and wheel with me, you can see for yourself (see thread I started about Southern AZ this weekend):cheers:

I cant. I have to work that day. I did see the thread, I am jealous of you guys I wish I could go. I will definately keep my eye out for future trips and I will try to make it to the next Tucson outing at S&D. Thanks for the invite anyway!!

I can't attest to how it will affect a short wheel base rig on road, but I am impressed with how it worked in my rig off road!:bounce2:

Well worth the money! In my long wheel base rig I hardly notice its there at all onroad, and after my trip yesterday, I could tell it was there offroad. Great product, especially if you want a locker but don't have the coin for selectable. In the future, I would consider part-timing my rig and putting an Aussie in the front.

What do those run pricewise? I'm going to have to go the aftermarket locker route on my rig soon.

Hmm, I'm still quite the newbie to this.

I read that in a constant 4wd vehicle (80) that you can't install one on the front, only on the rear. Is that a drawback?

I don't really understand why you couldn't have one on the front if you can have one on the rear, since both axles are in constant 4wd....?

In some conditions, mostly high traction a front locker makes steering very difficult, not good for the road in a full time four wheel drive. A rear locker is much more effective, I would start there, then decide if you need more.

How much time do you have on the trail? There are two arguments on lockers for newbies. The first one is that they increase traction allowing safer wheeling. The second is that lockers allow you to get deeper in trouble before evaluating the situation.

The second one is my favorite, with a locked truck in some circumstances you can drive the truck up steep enough to roll it onto it's roof without loosing traction. In an unlocked truck most of the time you will loose traction, forcing you to evaluate your situation and take a better line. A locked 80 is sometimes referred to as point and shoot wheeling, meaning that the line you drive over an obstacle is less important, steer over it, if you lose traction hit the magic switch. With an unlocked truck the line you drive is much more important, you have to keep three wheels on the ground to have traction. Seeing the line to drive on the trail and ether getting in and out or working with a spotter to follow it, is a key skill to learn and an unlocked truck forces you to learn it.

My recommendation is to put a lift on then get some tires, now or when yours are junk and wheel it. Getting seat time on the trial is the best teacher. The best runs for learning are runs to play areas where there are lots of obstacles close together and go with more experienced wheelers, watch, listen, ask lots of questions and learn from them. Maybe we should plan a skills development type club run?

An unlocked 80 is a very capable wheeler, you will be shocked at where an experienced driver can take one! Get to know your truck, it's capabilities and what you want from it, then do the big mods!:cheers:

Great advice Kevin and good suggestion on the skills development run.:beer:

As convenient as lockers are off road, they do have their drawbacks. For example, when driving on wet roads they tend to lock on turns sending the tail out when you least expect it. When driving on a slippery angled trail when one wheel slides it will automatically take the other wheel with it causing the truck to slide downward, not always a good thing. When making u-turns on streets, tight parking lot turns, you’ll find the truck will lock, depending on throttle, and will drag the tires around the turn. When coming out of turns on streets you need to be cognizant of applying throttle because if you apply it when the truck is in the turn it will again drag a tire. We don’t need to go into the advantages of it like price, capability off road, etc. so a lot of it depends on where you will be doing most of your driving that will help you decide if an automatic locker is the thing for you.

I’ve wheeled 40’s, 60’s, and 80’s and I can tell you unequivocally, in its stock form, the 80 is the most capable vehicle. It will take you through many obstacles with ease and grace. The best possible advice I can give you, you already have from Kevin. Get experience on the trails, learn vehicle capability first. You may find that the vehicle is already equipped to handle what you can stomach, rock crawling, and metal bashing may not be the thing for you right now with this vehicle. First investment, tires, you do need something a little more aggressive than stock tires, it will make a huge difference. Next, lift; keeps you from leaving your muffler on the trail. You’d be amazed on what these two things can do for trail capability in your rig. Most importantly, enjoy wheeling :cheers:

Cody, I agree with Kevin. If you don't have a lot of experience it would be best to learn what can be done with open diffs. This will develop your skills as a driver, learning to pick your line and knowing your limits. I wheeled my 80 for almost 2 years unlocked. It is simply amazing what you can go thru with open diffs.
I would suggest more aggressive tires, lift and the CDL switch/pin7 mod. Wheel it like that for a while then decide what you want/need more - lockers or armor.
Being on a tight budget(my CC company loves me), I got 285/75 tires and 2.5" OME Heavy lift for appx $1200 and the CDL switch for $50, pin7 mod is free. That turned my rig into a good wheeler. After numerous wheeling trips I learned my capabilities. I still remember the one trip where I learned the most about what my rig can do. I ran the C-gap trail down here in Tucson with Kevin, Rob and Shotts. Everybody was in an 80 and just seeing what they could go thru then following taught me a lot.
Happy wheeling Cody, don't be in to much of a hurry to mod the holy crap outta your rig.:cheers:

BTW, $270 shipped, about 4hrs of my time for the Aussie.

Picking the right line (might involve scouting) is the most important skill, whether in 4x4, skiing or canoeing (just what I can judge). I second the seat time argument. That's what I need, more practice :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom