Builds Aussie 1978 FJ40 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW, thats some parts stash. I got in trouble for dragging home a rusty 45 cab and front end, no way I'd get away with that lot!

Now that you plan on keeping the diesel are you going to put the silver 40 back together or are still going to part it out?

Bolted the 40 back together today to get some pics of how it will be sold. First look with the trailready beadlocks fitted too, love the look of them. Lots of surface rust has came through the rattle can paint while in storage. I guess living so close to the beach will do that.

Plan is to get it up on ebay and carsales and see what happens. Will now come with all barwork and the ZF and LT230. All the hard work is done, just bolt in a holden/chev V8, wire it, plumb it, and paint it.

Will be sold as pictured minus the 5L V8 and the beadlocks and krawlers.
P1020633.jpg

P1020634.jpg

P1020635.jpg

P1020636.jpg

P1020638.jpg

P1020639.jpg

WOW, thats some parts stash. I got in trouble for dragging home a rusty 45 cab and front end, no way I'd get away with that lot!

Now that you plan on keeping the diesel are you going to put the silver 40 back together or are still going to part it out?

LOL....thats only the first load. Next lot turns up tomorrow.

Change of thoughts again on running the 13bt. Ended up watching a heap of youtube vids that night with 3b turbos and 13bts, and its just not for me hey. So plan it to run the BJs 5spd, with the V8 in front of it and not worry about the Rover ZF Auto and LT230. I'll leave it in the silver one and sell it with that.

Glad your going to try and sell it almost complete. Would be a shame to see all that hard work get parted out. I'll keep an eye out on your parts stash/hoard. Might be worth the trip up from Brisbane to get some things.

And just to stir the issue - how about a 79 series V8 diesel up front?

Hey Twisty, you got any more pics of the new truck? Love to see that third door setup - got a mate up north considering a suicide-door setup on his extra cab 47.

The truck you bought was one of the first builds I read up on MUD. I always wondered what happened to it. Nice to see it will be finished.

Hey Twisty, you're builds are some of the first I had read on Here and on Outers. I see you have a fair few parts, especially doors. Any chance of a notification of when you decide to sell this stuff? I'm keen for 2 doors for my 45. I'm on the Sunny Coast too! :D

man the 13BT is the best engine ever made, harden up and just run it !!!

Wanna buy mine?

Glad your going to try and sell it almost complete. Would be a shame to see all that hard work get parted out. I'll keep an eye out on your parts stash/hoard. Might be worth the trip up from Brisbane to get some things.

And just to stir the issue - how about a 79 series V8 diesel up front?

Welcome to come up any time and have a look.

The new V8 TD is a diesel I could hack. Love the sounds of my mates one at full noise. Heres a youtube vid of it.
V8 TD Landcruiser Ute Muddy Hill Climb at LCMP - YouTube

Hey Twisty, you got any more pics of the new truck? Love to see that third door setup - got a mate up north considering a suicide-door setup on his extra cab 47.

No more pics yet. Been waiting on steelart to try and find the pics from his old buildup. Will start a thread and try and include some pics from the original build once we start the new rear bodywork.

The truck you bought was one of the first builds I read up on MUD. I always wondered what happened to it. Nice to see it will be finished.

Yep, was too cool a 40 to leave sitting in storage for too much longer. Am very stoked that I got it!

Hey Twisty, you're builds are some of the first I had read on Here and on Outers. I see you have a fair few parts, especially doors. Any chance of a notification of when you decide to sell this stuff? I'm keen for 2 doors for my 45. I'm on the Sunny Coast too! :D

Everything is for sale now. I'm just slowly cleaning bits up before getting them advertised properly. Welcome to come around anytime and see if there is something your interested in.

Sweet, thanks mate.

Latest pile of parts that was part of the BJ42 deal turned up last night. Almost too nice to part out. Runs and drives great. Is tempting to try and get it registered and take it out to LCMP next weekend on my 35" Krawlers for some fun :D

P1020647.jpg

P1020645.jpg

P1020644.jpg

what is that 73 MWB with 13bt?

Nope it is an FJ73 with a 3F and H55 in it.

I still have the BJ74 with the 13BT and the A440 in it cause I need to drive something to work.

The BJ42 also had a 13BT in it with a H55F which is the 13BT which Twisty is selling cause he knows the power, reliability and economy of it would not suit his need to break down and have a chance to crack a 6 pack with is co - driver :popcorn:

Few pics of the new fuel tank that Kane from Komited Kustoms is making me. Its a direct copy of the one that was already in there (except without all the rust). When we test fitted what Kane had built so far we relised we should have checked how well the original fitted in the first place as it doesn't hug the transmission tunnel as well as it could, but it'll do.

Tank is all finished now, and will get painted with 2pac next week in the same colour as the 40. Also going to start drawing up a new centre consule to fit to the tank as the old mdf one is looking pretty shabby.

Some pics..

With the lid on, showing the rhs that the seats mount to.
Tank_002.sized.jpg

The internal baffles. On the drivers side the bottom of the tank steps down about 50mm over a 300mm sqaure and the fuel to the engine is drawn in there. (forget to get pics of that)
Tank_003.sized.jpg

How many liters of fuel fit in this tank?

Ended up at 140 litres. Was scary having that much fuel strapped under your arse at times.

So got a guy coming up tomorrow to look at the 40. Sounding pretty promissing with him, he's already got a V8 and auto to go into it. But if it falls through, the below will be the last pics of it still together. Will start removing the bits to keep on the weekend.

P1030165.jpg

P1030166.jpg

Whats left of the middy...all sold pretty well. The rest is surprisingly heading over to Dubia :shock:
P1030164.jpg

Went and spent some time on the new BJ42 yesterday. Got the 35" krawlers on and the coilovers fitted. Ready to start the rear bodywork in the coming weeks. (and yes its sitting way too high at the moment) :cool:

P1030246.jpg

P1030242.jpg

P1030241.jpg

BJ42 was delivered to its new home yesterday. Steelart ran out of time to do the rear bodywork, so Brooksy will be doing all that now. I'll get the V8 and Auto mounted, and some other bits and pieces sorted. Then once Brooksy has finished the Winch Lux it'll head down. Silver 40 will be leaving one day this week.

P1030356.jpg

P1030358.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom