Builds AUS BJ73 + turbo + arduino (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a short history and ongoing build thread of my BJ73.

It was first purchased as a shed toy/weekend fun thing as we had two other cars for daily purposes. Since one of those cars was written off I decided to make the cruiser my daily for work and currently it does about 500km per week and is used daily.

This is a photo of the first day I bought it.

IMG_0675.JPG

Last edited:
The major work required to get it up to standard for daily purposes is the following list (funded by insurance money from written off car)

· Rear diff rebuild

· Alternator replaced

· Battery replaced

· Radiator replaced.

engine bay is looking like this as of today

IMG_0812.JPG

· Seats replaced with front seats from a Holden barina because they fold forward nicely and give me a chance to get the kids in the back.

IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG

· Windows tinted

· Door cards replaced all round with PVC sheeting

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

· Stereo

· New moulded vinyl floor and waterproof underlay

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

Complete brake overhaul, which is everything but the factory hard lines and brake booster.

Last edited:
The list of mods for off-roading I have done so far are as follows.

· 2 inch lift and 10mm longer shackles (already on when car bought)

· 35 inch tyres (31 inch tyres for daily use)

IMG_3984.JPG

· Front diff has an Aussie lokka mechanical locker

· Winch bar with winch (yet to be completed and painted)

IMG_0103.JPG

· Engine bay mounted compressor and line out to front bar

IMG_0104.JPG

· Rear quarters chopped (done due to them being rusted out anyway)

IMG_0831.JPG

· Dash mounted switches underneath factory pod

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

Whole interior sprayed with black which is peeling off (first pic)

Here is a list of things left by the PO that I have not dealt with yet which summarises the general condition of the car when I bought it and how it was taken care of in the past.

Window rubber overspray

IMG_0828.JPG

· Rust under windshield frame fixed with bog and silicon!!!

windscreen.jpg

· Holes in the doors from old mirrors tek screwed on there

IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some pics of its usual weekend action which is beach runs or up in the hills getting muddy

harvey3.jpg

harvey1.jpg

beach1.jpg

harvey4.jpg

The Arduino project.

A mate of mine has been helping me build an Arduino for this car which in its first stage is to duplicate the factory gauges and display the values on an LCD screen which has been built into the dash. This has recently been completed and the display looks like this.

IMG_0824.JPG

The Arduino and associated chips are installed into a box and mounted in the glovebox.

glovebox.jpg

The 3 sensors installed so far are the coolant temp into thermostat housing (RTD PT100).

IMG_0105.JPG

Engine oil pressure under oil cooler unit from threaded hole in block.

IMG_0811.JPG

EGT sensor into the exhaust (K type probe).

IMG_0106.JPG

The second stage of the project is intended to add in the following

· Ambient air temp

· Intake air temp (post turbo temp)

· GPS speed

· Angle sensor (hill climb gradient)

· Readout of RPM from factory sensor in bellhousing

· Logging of all data onto an SD card

The reason for the second stage is that I have already purchased a TD04L turbo and intend to do a home brew turbo build and the Arduino will be my road tuning tool as I will be logging all the above values. Using my run to work which is 60km of mainly 80-100km/h and some decent hills as a ‘test track’ I can make fuelling/boost changes for each run and chart the critical values against each other and see if I can find an optimum fuel setting and max boost number keeping EGT under control.

this is where the car is up to today,

I will post up all my turbo build bits and pieces when they have all arrived (flanges/gaskets and bends for a custom log manifold) and go from there.

thanks for reading so far! I am stoked to be driving the cruiser every day and making improvements as i go

I want to put a Arduino system in my FJ62. Would you mind sharing supply or coding details? I am new to this stuff so any help would be appreciated!

what kind of probe you will use for ambient temp? I use pid controller and was thinking of a probe k type, but some only read from 0 deg celsius up.

I want to put a Arduino system in my FJ62. Would you mind sharing supply or coding details? I am new to this stuff so any help would be appreciated!

I can provide as much as i know as my friend is the guru who done the coding.

the below pic is the interior of the box which has breadboard housing each of the chips required for each sensor.

arduino.jpg

for the coolant temp there is MAX 31865 with an RTD PT100 sensor
for EGT there is a MAX 6675 with a K type thermocouple sensor
for the pressure sensor it is a 0-5V analogue input direct to the arduino
also you can see the SD card reader and clock module with the battery
there is a home brew voltage regulator just below the SD card reader as only 5V is required
The leads at the top of the pic are going to the arduino which is a mega2560

supply is all through ebay!

what kind of probe you will use for ambient temp? I use pid controller and was thinking of a probe k type, but some only read from 0 deg celsius up.

I will use another RTD and MAX 31865 for ambient temp as they can go negative (not really a useful requirement in my corner of the world!), you can see the slots allowed for above the current MAX 31865 marked with black pen

Also i need mention that the member here Dare and many other threads on this forum helped me out with turbo choice so cheers for that!

On the turbo trail for a 3b but will be watching and hopefully able to learn following along

Good turbo choice i have a td04l off a wrx subaru on my 3b diesel bj70 instant boost no lag at all.

I Run it at 20psi and its still within the efficiency of the turbo map wouldn't go much higher due to shaft speed being quite high imo.

Good turbo choice i have a td04l off a wrx subaru on my 3b diesel bj70 instant boost no lag at all.

I Run it at 20psi and its still within the efficiency of the turbo map wouldn't go much higher due to shaft speed being quite high imo.

that's good there is another working example around! as I have no history with turbo's and this is my first one I am happy I could pick up a second hand turbo for $200 and give it a shot without investing too much. how are you getting shaft speed? from the turbo map?

Photo%208-9-17%2C%208%2034%2002%20pm.jpg

So this is my collection of parts for the turbo build of which I completed today.

MLS headgasket
intake manifold gasket
exhaust manifold gasket
MLS turbo inlet and outlet gaskets
10mm manifold flange
10mm turbo flange
40nb t peices and elbows
50nb elbow to go up to the turbo
TD04L
Xforce 3 inch dump pipe from a subaru (wrecker threw it in for $50 with the turbo) no idea if it will be suitable but i will give it a shot.

getting closer to boost now!

My next task will be to do the head gasket and have the head skimmed, crack checked and pre-combustion chambers replaced before doing anything else as i want to have it running with the new head gasket before doing any turbo work. One thing at a time.

Do the head bolts need replacing??? and is there anything other parts that i should have ready for doing the head gasket job?

Update time, first a pic of some action last weekend, safe to say i did not make it up this hill but as you can see by the onlookers i was the only one willing to give it a try!

weekend.jpg

and tonight i just made a start on replacing the headgasket with the MLS one in prep of future turbo.

tidied up the shed and workbench to make room

start.jpg

FSM on hand :)

instructions.jpg

engine bay started like this.

step%201.jpg

and ended like this for the night
finish%201.jpg

I will be taking the head off with exhaust and intake manifolds still on so i am not too far off. will continue tomorrow night.

annoyingly you can see in this pic I munted the driver side heater inlet pipe trying to use pliers to crack the seal by turning the heater hose, but i squashed the copper pipe with the pliers :bang:

next night spannering

head ready to come off

headbolts%20off.jpg

and out

lift%20off.jpg

and inlet/exhaust off, managed to get all the exhaust bolts off without snapping any, love penetrating fluid!

head%20stripped.jpg

trying to keep things organised

organise.jpg

bores are looking ok, can still see hone marks on each one

bore.jpg

and none of the precups show any cracks??? from my readings here i was expecting them all to be cracked! so this may be cheaper overall if they dont need to be replaced. but i will let the head shop decide.

precup.jpg

that is all for now, will take it to the head shop tomorrow for a once over then once the head is back it is going back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom