At what point do you install a dual battery system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which Fridge/freezer do you have? I just got a Dometic CFX3 75 liter dual zone. It draws about 40 W with the compressor running and 0-1W otherwise. What I really like is you can dial in your battery protection voltage where the unit will shut off to 10.1/11.2/11.8V. That means it will totally flatten the 2nd AGM battery before shutting off if I choose to let it.

One thing that's high on our list for things to take camping is a volt meter.
I have a National Luna 60 dual zone fridge now. Before that I had a Snomaster EX75 in the truck. The Snomaster was just too big, so I switched it out for the NL. All of the fridges I have looked at so far have the same voltage cutoff setting that yours has.

Many of these arguments tend to end up falling into the ”You don’t really NEED it” answer.

Here is my thinking on that…

I run many of my power items…not because they are absolutely essential, but because they are nice to have and great to use.
Not talking survival here.
Talking fun and convenience.

When I can pass out ice cream to an entire trail group on a long day 105 degree heat?
It’s just nice.
When I can keep cold things cold all week without finding ice, draining water, or creating ice-water soup?
It’s just nice.

If you want to talk absolute necessity…our LCs aren’t necessary either.
But they are nice…so we spend the big bucks and enjoy using them.
It’s not so dissimilar with ready power. I add it on my limited budget because its worth it to me to regularly use it.
God willing I will never have to deal with 105! I keep moving further north for a reason. I hate anything over 80 and my sweet spot is -15 thru 15. I understand frozen ice cream when it's that hot! Coolers with ice do become that ice water soup that are only good for keeping cans and bottled beverages cold. I keep a small cooler just for that. Other than beverages I don't need a fridge for my use.

I still have an aux power unit it's just solar. I could run a fridge with it or a TV a blender/leaf blower even ac power tools. It's charged by solar when parked or I plug it into the back to charge while driving. I can also plug it into my electrical panel at home and keep my fridge and deep freezer on when the power goes out. It is just not charged with a dedicated dual battery.

So it's almost the same for running power to accessories like a fridge. But the aux power point is not fixed. I can take it .25 miles no worries to a campsite that is not near the rig. Or keep it in the basement at home and plug it into the panel. Its very versatile unlike the dual battery set up.

One battery starts the truck, runs the winch, compressor/airlockers and the CB. Never an issue yet. I ran dual batteries for years but with this one I looked at other options and found a really good solar charged battery bank could kill so many birds with one stone. And it's plug and play.

That's just my two cents. Every ones needs are different

God willing I will never have to deal with 105! I keep moving further north for a reason. I hate anything over 80 and my sweet spot is -15 thru 15. I understand frozen ice cream when it's that hot! Coolers with ice do become that ice water soup that are only good for keeping cans and bottled beverages cold. I keep a small cooler just for that. Other than beverages I don't need a fridge for my use.

I still have an aux power unit it's just solar. I could run a fridge with it or a TV a blender/leaf blower even ac power tools. It's charged by solar when parked or I plug it into the back to charge while driving. I can also plug it into my electrical panel at home and keep my fridge and deep freezer on when the power goes out. It is just not charged with a dedicated dual battery.

So it's almost the same for running power to accessories like a fridge. But the aux power point is not fixed. I can take it .25 miles no worries to a campsite that is not near the rig. Or keep it in the basement at home and plug it into the panel. Its very versatile unlike the dual battery set up.

One battery starts the truck, runs the winch, compressor/airlockers and the CB. Never an issue yet. I ran dual batteries for years but with this one I looked at other options and found a really good solar charged battery bank could kill so many birds with one stone. And it's plug and play.

That's just my two cents. Every ones needs are different
yeah I was going to say there is a certain beauty to the versatility of an auxiliary system like Jackery or Bluetti. You can move it anywhere you like, you can replace it, you can bring it with you to the camp site, you can put it in direct sunlight for the solar panels. You can always charge up the auxiliary battery and bring it to the vehicle and you can charge it in various ways (AC/DC/Solar, etc).

On the other hand, you can't really do any of those things with a hardwired system in your vehicle.

As others have mentioned, it really depends on your use-case. Some people are tethered to their vehicle, others are more mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom