At what point do you install a dual battery system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Leaf blower? Seriously?

You don't have a leaf blower in your truck?! Pffft. Electric is the best because you don't need to carry a separate can of two stroke. How do you clean the campsite or start a fire with out a leaf blower. Gotta teach you everything ;)

For me it's the solar generator. They are cheap now and less headache than a duel battery. Before solar tech became so light, compact, portable, simple to use and actually charged a battery the dual battery was the only way to go. For my use a solid single battery works fine. I have all the electric accessories as the OP except the fridge. Also a jumper box just in case.

Dual battery for sure. Especially from the point you add a fridge onwards. Even fixed radios can draw quite a few amps at full blast. My ICOM 5100 draws up to 13 amps at full power TX!! That's quite a bit more than my fridge (~6 amps when compressor cycles), and your starter (main) battery will not like it with the vehicle off.

Plus you get the safety net of cranking your main battery in case you face a problem down the road
100%. Go with a deep cycle battery and a battery isolator. Your fridge will run off the deep cycle when the vehicle is off, and the deep cycle will charge off the alternator...and you can add solar into the mix to keep the deep cycle charged when stopped.

IMG_20200612_183358.jpg

IMG_20200612_183425.jpg

For some reason, this topic always attracts a lot of comments sorta poo-pooing dual batteries.

Personally, I have…like…and fully utilize my dual battery setup. I keep a ton of items charging off of my batteries 24/7, run a fridge 24/7, and run heavy pull items off of a large, 1500 watt inverter.
Yes, dual batteries add complications and expense…but if you like/need to run & use power… you’ll benefit. If you don’t…you may not.

I run more power than anyone I know, and have gotten very good life out of my AGMs. Someday I may add Lithium
in back…or not. Either way, I’m very happy with running dual batteries and would do it again.

Figure out what you will actually use and go from there.

For some reason, this topic always attracts a lot of comments sorta poo-pooing dual batteries.

Personally, I have…like…and fully utilize my dual battery setup. I keep a ton of items charging off of my batteries 24/7, run a fridge 24/7, and run heavy pull items off of a large, 1500 watt inverter.
Yes, dual batteries add complications and expense…but if you like/need to run & use power… you’ll benefit. If you don’t…you may not.

I run more power than anyone I know, and have gotten very good life out of my AGMs. Someday I may add Lithium
in back…or not. Either way, I’m very happy with running dual batteries and would do it again.

It really depends on your real life needs. If your running a fridge 24/7 and charging/powering a lot of hungry electronics than a dual battery is the way to go. It is more complicated and expensive to set up and adds a little more weight.

The solar setups are really efficient now and simple to use. Cheaper. They provide plenty of extra power for the average user to charge phones, run a few laptops, a coffee maker, your CB, some lights, compressor even a smaller fridge with no freezer ect.

It's getting the right set up to suit your needs with out overspending or over complicating things. Not knocking the dual battery. It used to be the only option. Solar just made it simpler and cheaper for 85% of people that need extra power. The duel battery is just overkill now for a lot of peoples actual use.

100%. Go with a deep cycle battery and a battery isolator. Your fridge will run off the deep cycle when the vehicle is off, and the deep cycle will charge off the alternator...and you can add solar into the mix to keep the deep cycle charged when stopped.

Is this a group 35 size deep cycle? What brand is it? I couldn't find one so I ended up just using a standard battery.

Is this a group 35 size deep cycle? What brand is it? I couldn't find one so I ended up just using a standard battery.

Plenty of companies make a Group 35 deep cycle AGM. Odyssey, Northstar, X2 Power (rebadged Northstar), Full River etc. I have two Northstar group 35 deep cycle agm in my 4Runner.

+1 !!!. I heard mention of an electric leaf blower. That's a new one on me but I've seen plenty of them at campsites that were 2-cycle engine powered. I've also seen plenty of 2 cycle chain saws.

We have camped and we have "glamped". The new batteries like goal zero and the Merlin solar panels are a game changer IMHO.
How about, in addition to the "commonly accepted" uses for power such as camp lighting, refrigeration and cell phones.
We've personally used these and often but not necessarily on every trip:
  • Blender
  • Water distiller
  • Coffee pot
  • Laptop computer - multiple
  • Power tools, rechargeable and 120VAC
  • Portable air compressor
    • Viair type for tires
    • Porter cable compressor & air nailer (yes I built a tree stand and lugged a generator)
  • Vacuum cleaner (yes yes yes, for carpet in the RV)
  • Portable fan(s)
  • Toaster
  • Induction hot plate
  • TV/sound system
  • Microwave oven - small one
  • Sludge pump for black/gray tank dumping
  • Medical devices like a CPAP
  • Travel iron
  • There's probably more.

The list is probably endless and the new tech makes more and more things possible.

This post reminds me that even simple, common, words like “camping” can have very different meanings to different people. I’ve never used any of the above list of items while camping. I feel like I’m in the lap of luxury with a battery powered refrigerator.

This post reminds me that even simple, common, words like “camping” can have very different meanings to different people. I’ve never used any of the above list of items while camping. I feel like I’m in the lap of luxury with a battery powered refrigerator.
I forgot a biggie: hair dryer. ;)

+1 !!!. I heard mention of an electric leaf blower. That's a new one on me but I've seen plenty of them at campsites that were 2-cycle engine powered. I've also seen plenty of 2 cycle chain saws.

We have camped and we have "glamped". The new batteries like goal zero and the Merlin solar panels are a game changer IMHO.
How about, in addition to the "commonly accepted" uses for power such as camp lighting, refrigeration and cell phones.
We've personally used these and often but not necessarily on every trip:
  • Blender
  • Water distiller
  • Coffee pot
  • Laptop computer - multiple
  • Power tools, rechargeable and 120VAC
  • Portable air compressor
    • Viair type for tires
    • Porter cable compressor & air nailer (yes I built a tree stand and lugged a generator)
  • Vacuum cleaner (yes yes yes, for carpet in the RV)
  • Portable fan(s)
  • Toaster
  • Induction hot plate
  • TV/sound system
  • Microwave oven - small one
  • Sludge pump for black/gray tank dumping
  • Medical devices like a CPAP
  • Travel iron
  • There's probably more.

The list is probably endless and the new tech makes more and more things possible.
Yep you forgot the cement mixer. Just kidding, well, that's what my friend said to say. :grinpimp:

Yep you forgot the cement mixer. Just kidding, well, that's what my friend said to say. :grinpimp:
Love it!!! How about a paint sprayer?:rofl:
I'd happily sleep on dirt. But if ya want to wife/girlfriend proof your camping experience this stuff will be handled! ;)

Really, we got a travel trailer to have some of these amenities. Now we can travel with our Yeti, new Dometic fridge, 2nd battery and not have to contemplate towing with the trailer's fridge running on propane or maybe not even bothering with a trailer at all at least for some trips. As far as trailers go, we've inquired whether or not the RV vendors would substitute a 120VAC/Propane fridge with a 120VAC/12VDC fridge. Propane therefore, would only be used for cooking and heat. Bigfoot RV said they'd substitute the fridge at the factory, Outdoors RV said they would not and suggested we contract with the dealer to make the substitution.

REF: A very different all-electric refrigerator

Love it!!! How about a paint sprayer?:rofl:
I'd happily sleep on dirt. But if ya want to wife/girlfriend proof your camping experience this stuff will be handled! ;)

Really, we got a travel trailer to have some of these amenities. Now we can travel with our Yeti, new Dometic fridge, 2nd battery and not have to contemplate towing with the trailer's fridge running on propane or maybe not even bothering with a trailer at all at least for some trips. As far as trailers go, we've inquired whether or not the RV vendors would substitute a 120VAC/Propane fridge with a 120VAC/12VDC fridge. Propane therefore, would only be used for cooking and heat. Bigfoot RV said they'd substitute the fridge at the factory, Outdoors RV said they would not and suggested we contract with the dealer to make the substitution.

REF: A very different all-electric refrigerator
If you get a substitute all electric fridge, make sure it’s a compressor model and not an absorption model. I assume all electric fridges are all compressor, but my assumptions have been wrong before.

If you get a substitute all electric fridge, make sure it’s a compressor model and not an absorption model. I assume all electric fridges are all compressor, but my assumptions have been wrong before.
Exactly - the referenced article discusses that very point. Having camped all kinds of ways this new power/solar stuff is a game changer.

I guess I just don’t understand what everyone needs so much power for. I go on 20 day rafting trips without refrigeration and only bring some small batteries to recharge my camera and gps. When I camp I certainly don’t feel like I’m roughing it, and I camp 40 nights a year. I have no interest in two batteries nor any of the stuff that requires them. I have some small batteries to recharge things and I have a jumper battery and the really cool thing about having a vehicle around is you can just turn it on and it has power!!! Crazy right?

Different strokes for different folks.

I’ve done the bare bone pack it in pack it out camping. And love it.

With a wife that has very little camping experience and 3 kids having some creature comforts makes camping more palatable. And I can slowly withdraw some of those to toughen them up.

But same goes with RV camping. I’ve never understood bringing a literal house to go outdoors. TV video games. Satellite internet and cable.

We all have a different range and threshold for what we enjoy and tolerate.

Doesn't answer the dual vs many other batt options question...

My portable lithium jump pack came in handy again. Buddy we camped with ran their battery so very dead over 3 days, to 9.6V. Minor inconvenience with a portable jumper, and had them going again in under a few minutes. They're looking too add one to their kit.

I really struggled with this decision. I was going to have SLEE install a dual battery setup, but life circumstances changed, and there was no way I could get the vehicle from CA to CO before summer. I thought about doing it here in CA, but was overwhelmed by the complexity, and the cost (parts + labor) was creeping up to be $3K to $4K. Sadly, I had to abandon this project.

So I finally opted for an Ecoflow River Pro + 110W solar panel to power a National Luna 50L and a few devices. I think this will work fine, as I don't have camera equipment, drones, etc. Here are the details:
  • Purchased the Ecoflow River Pro for $599.78 on Amazon (using coupon).
  • Purchased the Ecoflow 110W panel for $270.34 on eBay (negotiated price).
  • The Ecoflow battery is rated at 720Wh, but it only has 75% efficiency or 540Wh usable (which is not great). This turns out to be around $110 per Wh, which isn't bad.
  • A second 720Wh battery can be added to the River for $381.28 (after tax using a coupon), bringing it up to 1440Wh at 78% efficiency, or around 1120Wh. This turns out to be around 0.88 cents per Wh, which is actually pretty decent. I'm going to wait on this for now, but will keep an eye on this option.
  • DC output is 10A with surge up to 1200w, more than enough to cycle on a portable fridge.
  • The battery can be fully charged using AC power in 1.5 hours (that is a correct figure). So you could try to charge it up when you go back into town for supplies, or during a restaurant stop, etc.
  • The battery can also be charged using the built-in AC inverter in the back of the LC while the fridge is pulling from the Ecoflow's DC port.
  • The display is excellent, and it will let you know how much time you have left. There's also an iPhone app with state of charge details and additional settings.
  • As many others have mentioned, I too like the fact that the battery can be used for other things when not camping, or for emergency use.
In my family, devices are banned when camping. Unplug, connect with family and friends, appreciate nature, sit around the campfire, tell stories.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Ecoflow setup.

Last edited:
Doesn't answer the dual vs many other batt options question...

My portable lithium jump pack came in handy again. Buddy we camped with ran their battery so very dead over 3 days, to 9.6V. Minor inconvenience with a portable jumper, and had them going again in under a few minutes. They're looking too add one to their kit.
As they say "don't leave home without it"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom