Asfir front skid plate and diff drop question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed my Asfir front skid plate today, and I only ended up using the provides 1" spacers on the 3 front bolts, and the middle bolt. I did not use them on the 2 rear bolts. Should I expect any issues? I took if for a test drive and didn't notice anything.

chWLZ8T.jpg

The only spacer in the package I receved was for the center bolt.

weird

Clearly a little confusion in this post. for starters:

The Asfir skid plate comes with a Spacer for the center bolt.

A diff drop comes with spacers for the stock skid.

To make an asfir skid work with a diff drop you will need spacers on the 3 front mounting holes, the asfir spacer AND a diff drop spacer on the center hole, and no spacers on the rear holes. You will need to source a new bolt for the center mounting hole.

Hope this helps.

sorry for the confusion. yes the diff drop comes with the 1" spacers. the asfir only comes with the 3" spacer for the center bolt. I was asking if the rectangle needs to go on too since I'm not sure if that's factory or part of the diff drop. My truck had the diff drop installed already when I purchased it

Thanks for posting this. I will be installing an Asrif on a drop diff very soon.

Just received the ASFIR skid plate. This is a great value at $230 delivered to my door.

1596913978675.png

1596914020822.png

1596914183322.png

Question for anyone running these in the 100 series...

How do you change your oil and filter?

The other model skids appears to have the filter holes precut.

Following up upon the FB post thread in the 100 Series group...

Question for anyone running these in the 100 series...

How do you change your oil and filter?

The other model skids appears to have the filter holes precut.

Following up upon the FB post thread in the 100 Series group...

I found this thread post on changing oil with the ASFIR skid plate.

I'm currently shopping for replacement bolts on this, so I have new stainless to match the skid. Does anyone know the front bolt size/pitch and the size/pitch for the bolts for the diff drop?

I think the real answer to all the spacers is whatever it takes for there to be a solid stack of material between the top side of the skid plate and your truck when it's bolted on. You want the skid plate load bearing.. so it can't bend under load. That center bolt for example is a good spot for the floor jack- so it should have a solid stack of spacers/washers above it all the way to the cross member it's bolted to. I seem to recall only having spacers on that one center bolt though, not front or back, though the back of that skid was lapped over the belly skid, so you could call that a spacer.

And I took it off completely when changing the oil. I could never get the all the spilled oil off it otherwise, and I couldn't stand the drips.

I think the real answer to all the spacers is whatever it takes for there to be a solid stack of material between the top side of the skid plate and your truck when it's bolted on. You want the skid plate load bearing.. so it can't bend under load. That center bolt for example is a good spot for the floor jack- so it should have a solid stack of spacers/washers above it all the way to the cross member it's bolted to. I seem to recall only having spacers on that one center bolt though, not front or back, though the back of that skid was lapped over the belly skid, so you could call that a spacer.

And I took it off completely when changing the oil. I could never get the all the spilled oil off it otherwise, and I couldn't stand the drips.
Your point is well taken. Using a floor jack under the spacer they supply for the center bolt, or a typical stack of washers, would still create only a modestly wide point load on that 1/4 inch aluminum. I wouldn’t be keen on trying that with a spacer any smaller in diameter than a hockey puck. I know the plate itself would distribute some of the load, but that is a lot of weight.

Resurrecting an old thread. Does anyone recall having issues with the transmission plate with a diff drop? The 3 holes circled appear to have a 1-1.5” gap requiring spacers. I tried searching this issue , but haven’t seen anything.

Also. Way late, but thanks for info above. I have WK sliders coming next week.

IMG_5593.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom