Around the Country trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I am planning in a month or so to to start out in my 1969 FJ40 and travel east from texas to the eastern seaboard, then turn north to boston, then turn west toward moab then turn south at seattle and head down to san diego, then up through colorado and then back to texas. Anyway so thats the plan and I'm wondering what tips anybody here has about prep stuff for a 40 and a long trip. Oh yeah it still has the stock F in it. should be interesting and a lot of fun. I plan on doing all the reg maintenance stuff before I leave. I'm also in need of a large storage/tool box to fit in the back area since all I have is a soft top. Anyway anybody got any tips/tricks/things I should do to prepare for it?

I use a cargo rack that plugs into receiver when I need to haul extra gear. Bolt-on a pickup truck tool box of the appropriate size and, presto, a lockable trunk.

Extra fuel tank is handy, helped me on many cross-country trips in my 40. At one fueling station the gal behind the desk could not believe I put 40 galons in that "jeep", of corse the responce was its not a heep, and she just looked at me.

I doubt you will have any problems as long as your engine is in good shape. I think the most important thing to have is phone numbers for the different landcruiser clubs in the states you are driving through. Remember you are part of an extended family of cruiserheads who are willing to help you if you should need it. And even if you don't "need" help they can still tell you the best sites to see or the best places to camp/eat. Hell I'm sure some will envite you to stay for the night or at least for dinner. As a matter of fact when are you passing through CA? Let's BBQ. I hope you have a geat time. Maybe you can do a write up on the trip and submit it to Toyota Trails. Sometimes a pavement trip can be just as fun as off-road. I said "sometimes" okay. lol

Take the Northern Route while going back west. It's MUCH more interesting than driving across the flatlands for a week. I'd either go all the way west to Oregon/Washington before turning south or else turn south in Wyoming and go down through the Rockies. If you come through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan look me up.

That sounds like an awsome trip :D, you really should try to do a write up for Toyota Trails, I'm sure tons of people would like to hear about it. While your in the New England area you should spend some time in the White mountains of New Hampshire or the Adirondacks of New York, both places absolutely beautiful. I-90 is cool once you get into South Dakota and Montana. The coolest cross country route I've ever driven was I70 from Denver to Rt50 through Nevada and into Ca; very cool, almost sureal in places and it is completely deserted. While your in Moab spend some time in Canyonlands national park, it is some of the coolest landscape I've ever seen. Good luck with the trip, should be a great time.

Thanks guys, those are some great suggestions, Good suggestion ofthe toy club numbers and having em handy hadn't thought of that before, Same with the Toy trail writeup. Ill be sure and take alot of pics, Im planning on hitting a few of the more famous trails like the rubicon/moab, maybe a few others, but ill have to be careful cause its not like i wil be at ease for all kinds of parts. Im also planning at stopping off at as many cruiser places along the way like specter and such. Thanks for the suggestions on what to see and where to drive thats a big help. Ill let you know how it goes.

Sounds like a whole lot of fun, dude! You taking a camera along? Pics would be awesome after you get back! :D

have a great trip bro!,

when are you goin to be headin out? if you go up 85 thru ga & sc, give me a holler, and you can stop and we'll cook out or something. i go to school in clemson, about 20 miles past the ga/sc line off of I-85.

well, let me know when you're leaving and i'll shoot you my phone number,

jonathan

Are you taking I-95 North to Boston? I've made that trip more times than I care to remember. It's not very scenic. My parents drive through West Virginia instead, and they say it's much nicer. I've never gone that way, so I'm not sure what roads they take.

Maybe you should bring along a copy of the ih8mud Member Map!

heres the best idea youre gana hear all day. Dont use the interstates at all. Use only highways. Unfortunatly, thanks to the U.S. gov. you can drive a 1000 miles and not see a dang thing dude. I just drove from home (charlotte, NC) to college in longview TX. I didnt see a dang thing all 996 miles. I saw more in the 25 mile trip to Hawkins TX last weekend when my buddies went camping up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom