Are your center console buttons intermittently working? (A/C Defrost Side Mirror) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
My center console buttons have been working intermittently. This is a great thread on how to replace the buttons. But before tackling the job installing new switches, I thought I'd give it one easy attempt at cleaning the switches. And after a month, I can say it has worked for me. YMMV! Pictures shown are from a '98 LX470 but the same method applies to all years.

Parts needed: D-Series Deoxit D5 (or equivalent), suitable ball point pen/mechanical pencil (preferably clear housing), latex gloves (optional), air gun/blow dryer helpful but not necessary.

Step 1) Disassemble center console/climate controls until you get to this point. Careful with the electronic connectors.

Step 2) Find a sacrificial pen/pencil that fits over the switches. Cut it down as such.

Last edited:
Step 3) Generously spray Deoxit into tube and then vigorously "work" the switch so the Deoxit is absorbed into the switch. The switch is water resistant but not water proof. I used the ball pen's insert/reservoir to work it. It has a blunt tip and won't tear the rubber.

Last edited:
Step 4) Remove tube and then again, with a gloved finger, "work" the switch up/down and in a circular motion.

Step 5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 for every switch. I did every switch and then repeated the cycle 2 more times.

Step 6) Stand the circuit board upright so that excess Deoxit drains. An air gun or blow dryer can speed up process. Circuit board can be reinstalled but wait 24-48 hrs for excess Deoxit to drain/evaporate.

Then check buttons. If results are unsatisfactory, you can try again or go directly to the link in the first post and replace the switches. There was also talk/success with removing the blue rubber switch covers but I didn't want to risk tearing them. Plus, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get them back on. :beer:

Last edited:
Ahh, very good! I didn't even attempt to remove the blue button cover after mitty posted his picture of the button with the ripped edge. If I ever need to clean the contacts again, I'll try and remove the blue covers.:cheers:

Fantastic write up. My buttons stopped responding reliably last year so I'll be cleaning those contacts soon. Thanks for the how-to.

Update: after a couple months, the buttons started degrading again. I ended up replacing the buttons as shown in this link.
The buttons work 100%. However, they have a clicky feel to them versus the original soft-touch feel. Oh well, still much better.

On the 98-02 LX, the entire panel just pulls straight out. No screws. Start by carefully prying at the top.

98-02 Lexus LX470 Land Cruiser Climate Control AC Heat dash for ...

pulls straight out? Are there any jesus clips holding it in, or is it just friction?

You can see it here. However, I just pulled with my fingers near the LOAD and EJECT buttons.

Just did this last night using some electronics parts cleaner and the method @CanadianRockyCruiser described above. I only had three buttons that were acting up and they seem to be good now. I will say, removing the blue rubber boot thing is probably the best way to clean these but man it's a pain to get them back on. I don't even know if I got them back on entirely but they are working better than they did before. I mean I had nothing to lose as they didn't work at all before.

It's funny because when I first got the LX the rear heater button and a few others didn't work and I thought it was because there were some override that was preventing them from working. Turns out it was just the switches. I think I might start looking for a replacement panel from a lower mileage LX in case these buttons stop working again.

Just did this last night using some electronics parts cleaner and the method @CanadianRockyCruiser described above. I only had three buttons that were acting up and they seem to be good now. I will say, removing the blue rubber boot thing is probably the best way to clean these but man it's a pain to get them back on. I don't even know if I got them back on entirely but they are working better than they did before. I mean I had nothing to lose as they didn't work at all before.

It's funny because when I first got the LX the rear heater button and a few others didn't work and I thought it was because there were some override that was preventing them from working. Turns out it was just the switches. I think I might start looking for a replacement panel from a lower mileage LX in case these buttons stop working again.

I repaired mine with dexoit like 6 months ago, and they just failed again. I decided to just solder new buttons on. Works great now.

I repaired mine with dexoit like 6 months ago, and they just failed again. I decided to just solder new buttons on. Works great now.
How did you repair yours? Did you pull the rubber boots? Im going to start looking for a replacement panel now, hopefully from a low mileage LX to swap in which will then give me time to learn how to add new buttons to my original panel.

How did you repair yours? Did you pull the rubber boots? Im going to start looking for a replacement panel now, hopefully from a low mileage LX to swap in which will then give me time to learn how to add new buttons to my original panel.
I did. And I accidentally sliced several of them in the process - it's not easy with 20 year old rubber, sts.

Good idea. I did a Nav elimination conversion to an ebay set and it was mostly DOA. Don't know how many miles it had or what kind of life it lived, but it looked super clean.

After doing this yesterday, I will add my dirty opinion and success story. Almost all of my buttons were practically inoperable. I removed all of the blue silicone boots which I regretted as soon as I started to try to put them back in. As others have stated, I would like to emphasize, it is a serious serious pain in the ass to get the little blue boots back in as is. And, like others have said, it is very unlikely they went back in correctly.
However, using a small screwdriver or pick tool, you can simply break out the inner retaining parts on the bottom portion of the button housing that retain the rubber boots. I am sure that this sounds barbaric. However I highly highly doubt anyone is getting them back incorrectly anyways without doing this. They go back in much easier and stay put perfectly well. They also seat into proper position easily. Can't recommend this enough. Oh, and don't get overzealous unless you need to and pull the clock button boots. They are different and even more difficult as you can't break away the retainers.
I also used contact cleaner on the copper contacts as well as the Black pad in the boot that completes the circuit. In addition, I used my small screwdriver to gently scuff the surfaces of the copper contacts.
While a huge pain in the ass, my buttons work amazingly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom