Are your center console buttons intermittently working? (A/C Defrost Side Mirror)

hoser

SILVER Star

My center console buttons have been working intermittently. This is a great thread on how to replace the buttons. But before tackling the job installing new switches, I thought I'd give it one easy attempt at cleaning the switches. And after a month, I can say it has worked for me. YMMV! Pictures shown are from a '98 LX470 but the same method applies to all years.

Parts needed: D-Series Deoxit D5 (or equivalent), suitable ball point pen/mechanical pencil (preferably clear housing), latex gloves (optional), air gun/blow dryer helpful but not necessary.

Step 1) Disassemble center console/climate controls until you get to this point. Careful with the electronic connectors.

Step 2) Find a sacrificial pen/pencil that fits over the switches. Cut it down as such.

Last edited:

hoser

SILVER Star

Step 3) Generously spray Deoxit into tube and then vigorously "work" the switch so the Deoxit is absorbed into the switch. The switch is water resistant but not water proof. I used the ball pen's insert/reservoir to work it. It has a blunt tip and won't tear the rubber.

Last edited:

hoser

SILVER Star

Step 4) Remove tube and then again, with a gloved finger, "work" the switch up/down and in a circular motion.

Step 5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 for every switch. I did every switch and then repeated the cycle 2 more times.

Step 6) Stand the circuit board upright so that excess Deoxit drains. An air gun or blow dryer can speed up process. Circuit board can be reinstalled but wait 24-48 hrs for excess Deoxit to drain/evaporate.

Then check buttons. If results are unsatisfactory, you can try again or go directly to the link in the first post and replace the switches. There was also talk/success with removing the blue rubber switch covers but I didn't want to risk tearing them. Plus, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get them back on. :beer:

Last edited:

hoser

SILVER Star

Ahh, very good! I didn't even attempt to remove the blue button cover after mitty posted his picture of the button with the ripped edge. If I ever need to clean the contacts again, I'll try and remove the blue covers.:cheers:

hoser

SILVER Star

Update: after a couple months, the buttons started degrading again. I ended up replacing the buttons as shown in this link.
The buttons work 100%. However, they have a clicky feel to them versus the original soft-touch feel. Oh well, still much better.

hoser

SILVER Star

On the 98-02 LX, the entire panel just pulls straight out. No screws. Start by carefully prying at the top.

98-02 Lexus LX470 Land Cruiser Climate Control AC Heat dash for ...

hoser

SILVER Star

You can see it here. However, I just pulled with my fingers near the LOAD and EJECT buttons.

Top Bottom