Are there instructions on changing AC compressors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 land cruiser that I have put extra AC Refrigerant into. I placed a whole bottle two months ago and now the AC isn’t blowing as cold as it should’ve been. And then added some AC sealant and I still think that I am not getting as cold as I should. Let me stop and say that when I’m driving the AC is extremely cold but when I am sitting it does not blow is cold. refrigerant into. I placed a whole bottle two months ago and now the AC guy isn’t blowing as cold as it should’ve been. I then added some AC sealant and I still think that I am not getting as cold as I should. Let me stop and say that when I’m driving the AC is extremely cold but when I’m sitting it does not blow is cold.I spoke to a friend and he said that most likely my compressor is starting to go out. With the economy the way it is right now I would like to look into trying to do the work myself but I really need some help from all the experts here. Is there anyway that someone can help me with some directions?

Let me stop and say that when I’m driving the AC is extremely cold but when I’m sitting it does not blow is cold.
This is typically a distinctive sign that insufficient air is being pulled through the condenser. Have you checked your auxiliary A/C fan in front of the condenser (behind the grill) to verify that it's working? What about the fan clutch for the main engine cooling fan (between radiator and engine)? Has your engine temp gauge gone up any when at idle/stopped (indicative of bad fan clutch)?

I have a 2000 land cruiser that I have put extra AC Refrigerant into. I placed a whole bottle two months ago and now the AC isn’t blowing as cold as it should’ve been. And then added some AC sealant and I still think that I am not getting as cold as I should. Let me stop and say that when I’m driving the AC is extremely cold but when I am sitting it does not blow is cold. refrigerant into. I placed a whole bottle two months ago and now the AC guy isn’t blowing as cold as it should’ve been. I then added some AC sealant and I still think that I am not getting as cold as I should. Let me stop and say that when I’m driving the AC is extremely cold but when I’m sitting it does not blow is cold.I spoke to a friend and he said that most likely my compressor is starting to go out. With the economy the way it is right now I would like to look into trying to do the work myself but I really need some help from all the experts here. Is there anyway that someone can help me with some directions?

Couple of helpful hints:

1. Don't add refrigerant until you've had a set of manifold gauges on the system to see if it needs it.
2. Don't add sealant EVER.

IF you indeed have a leak....you'll need to find it (them) and repair.

Without benefit of high and low pressure readings (along with other indicators the gauges can reveal) we really have no idea the relative health of your compressor, but as 'Junk' alluded to....I suspect you have an air flow issue at the very least.

When you say look at the fan do you mean just see if it is spinning when the ac is on?
This is typically a distinctive sign that insufficient air is being pulled through the condenser. Have you checked your auxiliary A/C fan in front of the condenser (behind the grill) to verify that it's working? What about the fan clutch for the main engine cooling fan (between radiator and engine)? Has your engine temp gauge gone up any when at idle/stopped (indicative of bad fan clutch)?

Turn on your truck with the A/c on and with your water house place it in front of your grill (do not put pressure on the water) and rinse off your radiator. If the a/c starts cooling down most likely your fan needs to be replaced.

A.J

Turn on your truck with the A/c on and with your water house place it in front of your grill (do not put pressure on the water) and rinse off your radiator. If the a/c starts cooling down most likely your fan needs to be replaced.

A.J

Even with a perfectly working system....the A/C will cool down (more) under those conditions. OP will want to check and see if his 'Condenser fan' is working and also check the operation of his engine cooling fan (belt driven) to insure he is getting the best air flow.

Cleaning the condenser coil with some Nu-brite and straightening any bent fins (a flat head screwdriver will work) would be the first place I'd start but I agree with Junkcrzr that you should check if the fan is working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom