Are 60 Series to big for rock crawling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it’s a subjective question but input would be appreciated.

I have owned several Toyota trucks and currently have a 2003 V8 4Runner that I use for moderate to intermediate crawling. Trails in TX, NM, CO, UT. I am somewhat hard on equipment and do enjoy tight trails. Looking to get away from IFS and get a solid axle.

Any thoughts on this rig? Price and capability? 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser on KSL.com - https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6888571#

like a 4runner, the 60 has a long ass past the rear tires. armor the rear quarters and rear bumper, done. the 60 has not so strong, stock steering arms, so you will spend money on GM 1ton components and hysteer and SOA lift. I love wheeling my 61, but I'm from jungle trails with super deep ruts and trails, not rocks/crawling dominant, so sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Reading that ad...what really caught my attention is his attitude. He really does not care if he sells it. Sorry but this prob gives you nearly zero negotiating power on a very expensive vehicle.

Personally I would not pay that kind of money to take a vehicle in the rocks and woods and tear it up. That's just me.

Nice build, the language is weird in places.

He's all about the "biggest and best and everything done right" and then half the stuff still needs work, and then if you read the manifesto he seems to address problems later on--so for the TLDR crowd it may seem some things STILL are an issue when he addressed them later in his ramblings.

My TLDR: project truck, on the way to being REALLY nice, still needs work. Want lots of money because I spent a lot on it, but I'm not interested in selling it so GFY, peasant.

Weird ad.

Short wheel base is better for rocks but it all depends on how the rig is built and how you drive and if you don't mind damage.

It was never designed to crawl over boulders but guys still do it anyway - and pay the price. The Achilles heel of the 60 is its long ass. It'll drag on almost any steep departure.
Toyota designated the FJ60 as a "Station Wagon".
I drove mine down plenty of rocky washes but never over big boulders or Rubicon grade trails

^ The one he links has upgraded axles and SOA

They can be good, lots of people do it. The 60 will do anything your 4runner can and more, especially that one you posted. Looks well setup
yes, so my response was for 60s in general...after you replied I opened the link, and damn! That's a BA 62! v8, arb lockers, bumpers, winch, SOA, hysteer, etc. of course, in true 60 fashion, the brakes are still ***ed up LOL

If you got the $ that's a badass truck that looks to be rustfree and has all the upgrades you'll spend years on doing yourself-ish. solid buy

To me, I view rock crawling as high risk of big damage. To me, an early Landcruiser is more of a collectable, not that it can't handle abuse, but they are so few and far between, I can't bring myself to beat on them. That 60 is far too pretty to rock crawl. I've wheeled many Toyota's. My favorite for rock crawling is a mini truck. Light, nimble, strong, fairly inexpensive to build. If you have to have an SUV, I'd go with a solid axle 4Runner. 85 is the most sought after (Fuel Injection and Solid Axle). But there are many 1st gen 4Runners that people have put a SAS on. It's small and nimble and can go anywhere, and that 22re is extremely reliable. If you want to go with a cruiser, I'd go for an 80 series. For that kind of money, you can find a nice triple locked one, throw some 35's on it and go anywhere. (until the trail gets too tight).

Paging @Cruiserdrew and @boots4

60s rock crawl great. Lots of mods needed to make them real capable, but it's not too hard to do in the grand scheme of things.

I know it’s a subjective question but input would be appreciated.

I have owned several Toyota trucks and currently have a 2003 V8 4Runner that I use for moderate to intermediate crawling. Trails in TX, NM, CO, UT. I am somewhat hard on equipment and do enjoy tight trails. Looking to get away from IFS and get a solid axle.

Any thoughts on this rig? Price and capability? 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser on KSL.com - https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6888571#
i think that's an amazing deal considering the work done.. and you want a SOA truck. valley hybrid and cruiser outfitters seem to have done a lot of the work which is a good thing.... seems like the main issue are the brakes , which can be fixed... not a big fan of the gauges but thats a easy switch to speedhuts.. if that were california smog legal, i'd snatch that up!

While I wouldn't pay that much for a rig to wheel, you couldn't build it for that money

I agree with all of the previous posts. 60's are capable but not choice for rock crawling. It took me awhile to understand why someone would by a cherokee but I think I figured it it out:. Cheap to beat up. Disposable. If you f#@# it up, pull the parts and start over.

I agree with all of the previous posts. 60's are capable but not choice for rock crawling. It took me awhile to understand why someone would by a cherokee but I think I figured it it out:. Cheap to beat up. Disposable. If you f#@# it up, pull the parts and start over.

Same for a mini truck. You can buy a built ready to go mini truck that is really nice for $10k.

Cheers

A Cherokee or Grand Cherokee might be good options. I should add that it must have 4 doors, 4 seats, AC, windows and a roof. LOL, I'm in Texas and AC with windows and a roof are a must for me. I have a wife and 2 kids that almost always go with me so mini-truck is not ideal, although I have considered a 4 door Taco with SAS.

60's are a choice Overlander. Load the kids, wife, dogs, boat, firewood, cooler, and go to places Jeeps break down before they get there. 🍻

Now the nice 60s and 80s are expensive, yes, but that doesn't mean they're not capable crawlers. There are people out there who buy new 200s and wheel the piss out of those.

I wheel my 60, even crawl it on rocks. I'm usually solo with my fam, so don't take chances. However, with a little grace and an eye for a good line, I've taken it to amazing places where FJ Cruisers, Rubicons are too scared.. but it's about the driver. I also have turned back because I wouldn't risk body damage. I drag the rear bumper on nearly every trail too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom