ARB vs eHarrop vs TJM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think with the Harrops I would need to increase my crawl ratio, in order to keep a constant low enough speed with plenty of torque. Otherwise the stop n go with some roll back of the vehicle while climbing , might cause grief in unlocking. I am considering the E lockers but I need to handle my crawl as well
I have a manual 80....very heavy at 8500lbs with Harrops. They lock and unlock faster than my ARB’s did and much faster than OEM. I have never had Any issue with my harrop unlocking. The only time they unlock is when I turn the dial to unlock.

I did however have issues with my rear ARB locking and staying locked. I have video of my rear passenger wheel not moving at the same rate as my driver wheel and the ARB was locked.

I have never had Any issue with my harrop unlocking. The only time they unlock is when I turn the dial to unlock.

Not to hijack - but I'm also in the market for our HZJ79 5 speed and was under the impression that they unlock with backwards movement and return to lock after a 1/2 revolution. You haven't experienced this?

OEM was my other option, but Eatons would save a TON of time.

Last edited:
Got Harrops front and back with an auto in an 80, rolled it back slightly in neutral whilst up a hill a couple of times. Couldn’t notice any disengagement.

I've got both- ARB's in the 80 flawless over 10 years and flswless in my 60 for 14 yearss before that.
Harrop / Eaton in the Hilux no miles locked yet but having been away with other cars that have them it was easy to make the change.

has Anyone had a situation where their e-lockers unlocked on them when they switched the acc power off after stopping?
I’ve wondered if that would become an issue if you had to stop on a steep trail and without realising you’d switch off the ignition, lose power to the lockers and also lose the traction they were giving you and have the car move because the hand brake does nothing and your open diffs let wheels move.

or am I thinking about this too much..

has Anyone had a situation where their e-lockers unlocked on them when they switched the acc power off after stopping?
I’ve wondered if that would become an issue if you had to stop on a steep trail and without realising you’d switch off the ignition, lose power to the lockers and also lose the traction they were giving you and have the car move because the hand brake does nothing and your open diffs let wheels move.

or am I thinking about this too much..

Yes, you are overthinking it. Why would you turn the ignition off on a steep trail without putting it in park and/or pulling the e-brake? Lockers unlocking would be the least of your worries. With the engine off, you’d lose the power assisted brakes.

Last edited:
Just a heads up and a big thanks to all who chimed in. Finally I am going with ARB front and back, the main reason is the shop is minute away with a good dealership for ARB. eLockers had to be sourced form one distributor in western Canada and they imported on a per order basis and they where very expensive costing over 3500.00 CDN just for a set of lockers. I will have a pictorial story of the install and was wondering if it could be useful to the group. let me know..

Just a heads up and a big thanks to all who chimed in. Finally I am going with ARB front and back, the main reason is the shop is minute away with a good dealership for ARB. eLockers had to be sourced form one distributor in western Canada and they imported on a per order basis and they where very expensive costing over 3500.00 CDN just for a set of lockers. I will have a pictorial story of the install and was wondering if it could be useful to the group. let me know..
Harrops Eatons: Cruiser Brothers, California.

I would hands down do TJM lockers. ARB suck big time and E locker has a weird delay when on a steep incline and trying to regain traction. I have used all three and out of the three, TJM has been my locker of choice. ARB in my jeep and 80 series has given me failures. Harrop is dependable and strong. TJM is as reliable as a locker can get.

I would hands down do TJM lockers. ARB suck big time and E locker has a weird delay when on a steep incline and trying to regain traction. I have used all three and out of the three, TJM has been my locker of choice. ARB in my jeep and 80 series has given me failures. Harrop is dependable and strong. TJM is as reliable as a locker can get.

TJMs are only sold in Australia, the US distributor is no where to be found. so while a product is the best, availability is paramount..

TJMs are only sold in Australia, the US distributor is no where to be found. so while a product is the best, availability is paramount..
TJM is located in CALIFORNIA! NEAR SAN DIEGO!!

Current ARB’s are 9 years old with zero issues. ARB’s on rig before my 80 ran 5 years no issues. If I had a failure such as a weak return spring or an air leak internal to the carrier units at this age I certainly would not consider it a fault of ARB or even “failure”. My lockers get used maybe that’s what keeps then working.

IMO The best ARBs are the second gen, basically what the zip locker has copied. The first gen was the Roberts locker. Basically an ARB but with four bolts rather than eight in the cap on the carrier. The bolts constantly loosened and the only way to insure reliabilty
was to spot weld the bolt head to the carrier. Those were replaced when the name changed from the Roberts locker to the ARB air locker somewhere in the late 80s or early 90s. The difference between the second and third gen is the air manifold placement.
I much prefered the second gen with the manifold on the non ring gear side of the carrier. The new versions have the supply tube snaking near the ring gear making it very easy to pinch during install. Including the one Roberts, from 1989, locker I still use use in the front of a 60, I have eight second gen ARBs from the 90s and into mid 2000s. The pair I have in one 60 I've had since 96. It's never failed. In fact I've never had an ARB fail.
We ran ARBs in the competion trucks , two FJ40s , both with tires never smaller than 37s an gearing between 140:1 and 200:1 and V-8s.
I've also run auto lockers like the Aussie Locker, Detroit, factory limited slip, factory e-lockers and Lock-Rite. I don't like auto lockers
in snow or ice. Nothing worse than negotiating a icy side hill and your lockers engage. I probably won't buy another ARB strictly
because of the manifold placement. I think most would be happy with the TJM or Harrop. There is credence to the claim that
if the Harrop disengages a little it can effect technical driving the same way a Detroit ratchets crawling over boulders and such.
Auto lockers have that same feel and in competition it is very annoying but unless you are actually in that kind of situation I doubt
you'll ever detect it. You're best going with one of the three or even four, including the Zip, based on customer service and availabilty.
You can't beat Georg for customer service but then we've got Kurt with the same rep. I say buy one from each, one from Georg and one from Kurt, front and back

old design more forgiving with supply line placement
1573423538673.png

new design runs the air line precariously close to the spinning ring gear from the opposite side
1573438600769.png

Last edited:
IMO The best ARBs are the second gen, basically what the zip locker has copied. The first gen was the Roberts locker. Basically an ARB but with four bolts rather than eight in the cap on the carrier. The bolts constantly loosened and the only way to insure reliabilty
was to spot weld the bolt head to the carrier. Those were replaced when the name changed from the Roberts locker to the ARB air locker somewhere in the late 80s or early 90s. The difference between the second and third gen is the air manifold placement.
I much prefered the second gen with the manifold on the non ring gear side of the carrier. The new versions have the supply tube snaking near the ring gear making it very easy to pinch during install. Including the one Roberts, from 1989, locker I still use use in the front of a 60, I have eight second gen ARBs from the 90s and into mid 2000s. The pair I have in one 60 I've had since 96. It's never failed. In fact I've never had an ARB fail.
We ran ARBs in the competion trucks , two FJ40s , both with tires never smaller than 37s an gearing between 140:1 and 200:1 and V-8s.
I've also run auto lockers like the Aussie Locker, Detroit, factory limited slip, factory e-lockers and Lock-Rite. I don't like auto lockers
in snow or ice. Nothing worse than negotiating a icy side hill and your lockers engage. I probably won't buy another ARB strictly
because of the manifold placement. I think most would be happy with the TJM or Harrop. There is credence to the claim that
if the Harrop disengages a little it can effect technical driving the same way a Detroit ratchets crawling over boulders and such.
Auto lockers have that same feel and in competition it is very annoying but unless you are actually in that kind of situation I doubt
you'll ever detect it. You're best going with one of the three or even four, including the Zip, based on customer service and availabilty.
You can't beat Georg for customer service but then we've got Kurt with the same rep. I say buy one from each, one from Georg and one from Kurt, front and back

old design more forgiving with supply line placement
View attachment 2129775
new design runs the air line precariously close to the spinning ring gear from the opposite side
Thanks for the valuable info. I did experience a torn copper air line in a front D60 a few years ago but that was the fault of the installer. If the install goes properly, there should be no issues with ring gear to air line interference.

Thanks for the valuable info. I did experience a torn copper air line in a front D60 a few years ago but that was the fault of the installer. If the install goes properly, there should be no issues with ring gear to air line interference.
correct , but the first gen was more forgiving. If you aren't careful installing the new setup you can pinch the line or push it
enough to contact the ring and you won't be able to check clearance with the diff in place

Not to hijack - but I'm also in the market for our HZJ79 5 speed and was under the impression that they unlock with backwards movement and return to lock after a 1/2 revolution. You haven't experienced this?

OEM was my other option, but Eatons would save a TON of time.

I have experienced them doing the whole "unlocking" thing when the truck is on jack stands and I am testing by hand. I have never noticed it off-road.

Here is a video of a 70-series I recently finished the build on, it has Harrops front and rear and the purpose of this drive was to test the truck at the end of the build. I am in and out of the e-lockers a lot and fast in this video, you can't tell because the video isn't from in cab but not once in this testing or in any other of the five trucks I have fitted the Harrops to could I tell it was doing anything but what I wanted it to do off-road.

I have had ARB's, I like them too but the Harrops don't require a compressor and can be wired to a factory dial.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom