ARB bumper weight on my stock lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
whats the ARB gonna do to my stock cruiser? drop the front end how much you think? Its stock ride on a lexus so its softer? what about MPG is it gonna hurt it too much? I dont really care just curious. Any other things would help too.

thanks mike

ARB (Winch capable) = 70lbs.
LX450 stock Suspension = softer than LC
It is softer because it is "luxury"..and will absorb more bumps.

With the softer LX stock coils.. IT WILL bring your front down...although i dont know exactly how much.

I have the OME 861 & 862 and my ARB brought my front down a little..not too bad though. BUT, i dont have the winch yet..once i get that i will prob have to upgrade to stiffer OME's.

MPG will get slightly worse due to extra weight. But you wont notice i bet. If you are worried..just toss out your 3rd row seats and dump the running boards. :D

later..
joe

yeah running boards were first to come off when i got it so thats already done as for the drop i plane to upgrade to the slee off road heavy kit in the future maybe in a year at most.
Do you think it would be alright to put the ARB on now and drive it till then? I do alot of high way driving at high speeds it wont effect it too much will it?

thanks mike

Opps forgot to ask do youthink $555 + shipping is a good deal for a winch ARB?
looks liek the best i could find thought i would ask though

mike

Hello Mike, sounds like you're getting equipped to go off road. If so, let me share my perspective.

If your intent is to provide protection for your truck going over rocky trails (like in the southwest, where you live), then, (ignoring cost), I would suggest the following priority:

1) OME springs to get some lift.
2) Sliders to protect the rocker panels
3) Rear tire carrier to get the spare out from underneath
4) Replacement front bumper, if you're going to install a winch

In my case, when I go off road I am often gone for a number of days, and carry a lot of water, food, tools, camping gear and such. I absolutely needed stiffer springs just to keep from dragging tail. I installed the first 3 items in the above list in one go. I've not yet found a front bumper that I like. I will probably go custom in order to mount a winch.

In terms of protection, it is fairly easy to avoid hitting obstacles with the front bumper, compared to the difficulty of determining whether or not your rockers will clear an obstacle that is easy to drive over. If you carry much cargo at all you will be dragging your spare tire way before you will likely be hitting stuff with the front bumper.

The gotcha regarding the springs is that they need to be matched to the weight of the truck, which is troublesome if one wishes to install sliders, bumpers, and a winch over a period of time. I expect that I will need to replace my OME springs in front when I install a heavier bumper with winch, so that adds a bit more cost for doing the install over a period of time.

I suppose if I went offroad in places where I was more likely to get bogged down in mud and such I would give more priority to a winch, but that is not the case for me.

Rich

My vote is Slee front and rear bars, Slee or Hanna sliders and at least 850/863

Here's the deal: you have a vehicle that sold for well north of 50 grand new. Replacement parts and quality aftermarket enhancements are priced accordingly. Fuel usage should not be a concern for such a niche vehicle. Understand what you have and what it takes to maintain and decorate it. It is NOT a cheap hobby or commuter car.

D-

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=7631;start=msg64189#msg64189 date=1069088886]
My sliders will be delivered on thursday in the form of a new 55" HDTV...

So much for the build budget! :D
[/quote]

I've been reading that Motorola has almost perfected nanotechnology that will bring 50"+ HDTV 1" thick flat sceens to under $1000. They will lincense the technology out to whoever wants to pay for it and they can be made in existing factories. They are talking it will be out in just a few years.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Why sit and sweat with your finger on the trigger?

I say line up the best shot (price), pull, and then worry about the next shot in a year or two.

I feel really terrible about having a 55" on the way to replace my 27" with purple spots all over it instead of toughing it out to wait for a vaporware product with no material in distribution?

hmm...no offense....but :flipoff2:

:cheers:

Well there goes my families xmas. They are going to have to wait a few more years. That's 2 grand for sliders and LEDs.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=7631;start=msg64312#msg64312 date=1069106551]
It is NOT a cheap hobby or commuter car. D-[/quote]

Holy sheet, it's not? :flipoff2:

I'd go with sliders first, front bumper second, everything else would come after those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom