Appropriate paint code? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is white (033) the correct paint code for bezel, wheels and canopy.

This is on my 82 fj40.

I looked at previous posts and there appears to be many choices. I got this from paint diagram from CCOT i think.

I posted almost the exact same Q a few weeks ago, and didn't get a definitive answer. However a decent option is Toyota code 045, which is a bit whiter than the old cygnus white, but more correct for the newer cruisers.

Hey Greenbeast,

I take it those wheels made it okay? I went with the 033 Cygnus White on my wheels, and plan to use it on the bezel and hardtop as well...

It did take some time tracking down the correct PPG 033 color. I've got a sample can of it at home though, let me know if you want a picture of the label for help identifying it.

Yep they made it. They look great!. I just had some (033) made at O'reilly's this weekend and painted one of the wheels.

Personally I think they will look great, especially against Nordic blue.
Can't wait to get her back together.

How are you painting you wheels?

Thanks Christian, think I will probably stick with (033).

I bet the 045 would look good though, send some pics when you have it finished!

Glad to hear you were happy with the wheels.

I had mine powder coated a color that pretty well matches the cygnus white.

I got home and took these pictures of the paint I had mixed up. It all started coming back to me. The only Cygnus White that I could find in the PPG paint book at the paint store was an 012 Cygnus White from a 1972 FJ40 Accessory color:

I'm pretty happy with the color, it's a little creamy, but definitely looks white next to anything else.
cygnus white1.jpg
Cygnus White2.jpg

I believe the 045 would be too white, as the original 033 was not pure white.

Once the bezel, top, and your new rims are done, they will look fantastic on Nordic Blue...looking forward to pics :cheers:

Here's how my wheels turned out. It's not the greatest picture to compare the whiteness, but you get the idea.
101_1803.jpg

Are those mud tires on that cruiser? what size are they?

I like that white you got there!

Life is just killing me here, hoped to get wheels to powder coater this week, but now going to be next week. Oh so close to making some progress.

I believe the 045 would be too white, as the original 033 was not pure white.

Once the bezel, top, and your new rims are done, they will look fantastic on Nordic Blue...looking forward to pics :cheers:

True, if your cruiser is older than approx. 1978, but newer ones were whiter AFAIK.

Not an authority on this, but my 84 42 is 033 - body and roof, stock - in case that helps.

What is the trim code on it baas? My 1980 is 033 with P11 trim. Just wondering what color that should be. I like the whiter white myself.

True, if your cruiser is older than approx. 1978, but newer ones were whiter AFAIK.

I do not believe this to be correct, and there are a great many posts that seem to support my thoughts on this. Either way, you have to be happy with your rig, and you would not be the first to go to a whiter white, so if the whiter white does it for you, then it is all good by me :beer:

I found a paint chart that showed 80 -83 was 033. What it didn't specify was what part was 033, pre 80 was a different code. I will try and find it again

Baas can you send some other pics?

What is the trim code on it baas? My 1980 is 033 with P11 trim. Just wondering what color that should be. I like the whiter white myself.

My truck is 033 with FD41 trim, it is an LX so that may be a little different. The LX's here also came with chrome wheels.

Greenbeast - there are quite a few pics in my intro thread (see my sig) - if you need any others specifically let me know. The body and roof of mine look like exactly the same colour (I had to check a few months ago 'cos I thought the roof was whiter, but definitely the same 033). Currently my bezel looks to be 033 as well, that may have been painted by the PO so I cannot confirm that was the factory colour.

First of all I would like to point out that I never said that 045 was correct, however I did say that the color on newer cruisers was whiter than Cygnus white.

But I can see that there is some confusion on the codes and names, so here's what cruiserfaq states:

012 Cygnus White, cap and bezel, '71 - '80

033 White, cap and bezel, '80 - '84

045 White, Whole car, '89

TLC FAQ - 13.0 Body Colour Codes

Here's another link:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/coolfj40_2148_29259490

However the above does not specificly state the roof and bezel code, but states that Cygnus white 012 was not used after 1975.

And yet another:

This does have a reference to roof and bezel, but states that roof and bezel on all years are Cygnus white, T-12...

So the only really clear information gathered is that besides my wife's being wrong, and mine going to just as wrong, just to match and make the rest look wrong, there's no clear information on the correct code for newer cruisers.

Which is just wrong!;)

Btw, I did contact Toyota on this, but they lost all archives a few years ago in a fire.

I bought the Cruiser Corps Cygnus White for my 1978. It's definitely more cream than the original "white" on that year.

First of all I would like to point out that I never said that 045 was correct, however I did say that the color on newer cruisers was whiter than Cygnus white.

But I can see that there is some confusion on the codes and names, so here's what cruiserfaq states:

012 Cygnus White, cap and bezel, '71 - '80

033 White, cap and bezel, '80 - '84

045 White, Whole car, '89

TLC FAQ - 13.0 Body Colour Codes

Here's another link:

However the above does not specificly state the roof and bezel code, but states that Cygnus white 012 was not used after 1975.

And yet another:

This does have a reference to roof and bezel, but states that roof and bezel on all years are Cygnus white, T-12...

So the only really clear information gathered is that besides my wife's being wrong, and mine going to just as wrong, just to match and make the rest look wrong, there's no clear information on the correct code for newer cruisers.

Which is just wrong!;)

Btw, I did contact Toyota on this, but they lost all archives a few years ago in a fire.

Dude...you have issues... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom