AOAA June 8th (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it sure was a good day at AAOA yesterday. It was John and the missus in his 4 door Taco, Chris in the camo 80 series, and me riding with Andy in the 4Runner. Only three trucks and all were early so we got out of the staging area either right at or a little before 9AM. Early enough in fact that the gate to the eastern (main) section was still gated!!!! There were guys working on the pipeline but I couldn't see exactly what they are doing.
We started out on the culvert trail (BA on the map) and that went well. From there we did trail 33 and the BA extension, then over to Muddy Shackle. All went easily until we got to the muddy wash near the end of MS. Ended up having to winch all three trucks out of that morass it was deep, extremely slippery with mud, and a tall vertical wall to get over at the exit. To top it off it can't be straddled and makes for an unavoidable off camber situation. Good news is you can't go far if you do flop. None of our guys did but Chris sure felt like he was on the edge!!!!!
We took a short lunch break then headed off and did Twister then down Barney Rubble. No surprises except that the entrance to Twister has become difficult for the long WB rigs (like John's Taco) while the chute part of it has become easier because it's wider and it is now able to squeeze between the big rock on the right and the wall on the left. From the bottom of Barney Rubble we went over and took an easy ride through the pine trees on Excaliber. Out of there we did the bucket trail and both John and Chris remarked how tight that trail is for the full sized rigs.
We had an hour or two left to wheel and let John take over the lead and he took us through all the blue trails in the area closest to the staging area. Frist left turn out of the SA gets you down to these trails. I'd done a few of them before but I believe we tattooed all of them Saturday. It's a little difficult for me to navigate in that area but John knew his way around. Out of there we did the hillclimb up the power line and took in the view at the scenic outlook out over the valley.
Great day for wheeling. Weather was picture perfect, no bugs, and we didn't see another full sized vehicle the entire day. Chris got some real good experience and got an introduction to his remote winch controller. I like it and might have to get me one. Chris 80 on 37 inch tires locked front and rear is a beast! Andy's truck as usual had little trouble anywhere while the few problems John had were due to the long wheelbase.

Great report thanks, what’s Johns rig setup? I know this isn’t the right thread but figured I would ask anyone up for AOAA one day during the coal mine?

AOAA is a nice break and is maybe even better during multiple RC days; I'm in.

Great report thanks, what’s Johns rig setup? I know this isn’t the right thread but figured I would ask anyone up for AOAA one day during the coal mine?

We're running black trails on Friday at AOAA

Great report Gary and pics Cass!

I believe a few of the Capital guys will be running greens and blues on Friday also.

Andy or Shmuckster ... did we do any black trails at AOAA?

I would be down for green/blue run some of those blues kinda made me rethink the trail color system last time I was there.

Not sure if I am mentally prepared for blacks, but will follow the group wherever. Slowly ... and I do mean ssssllllooooowwwlllyyy ... getting more comfortable with what the truck will do. Hopping big rocks is still my least favorite thing. I'm constantly just waiting for something to break or for my inexperience to put me in a situation I can't get out of.

The black trails we will be running Friday at Coal Mine are a good sized step up from the blues we did last weekend. I'm planning to do the anthracite trails from the bottom to the top sandwiching the trip around Beeline in between lower and upper. While I've not yet personally done "the pit" trail I've been told it's quite interesting, albeit short in length according to the AAOA map. Depending on how much (if any) time we have left after doing those trails there is a short black trail loop off trail 55. You guys would like doing trail 36 too, especially if it's been wet out, but it would probably take at least two hours.
For those interested in doing blue trails there is a full day full of them. BA trail is a great on to start on although the entrance to it through the culvert may be difficult to find. Excelsior Swamp is in that area and not difficult except for one section toward the end which has become almost impossible without winching for anything with less than 37" or larger tires. Twister is one of my favorite trails and after doing it you can head over and do Barney Rubble downhill. Trail 55 (whiskey ridge) is fun. The bucket trail is short but fun, tight for the larger rigs, and all the blues down in the lower section adjacent to the staging area that are nestled in between trails 2, 3, 4, and 5 are fun.

Shmukster great right up, if anyone wants to do a blue run I’m down for starting a second group if there’s enough interest definitely not doing blacks at anthracite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom