Anyone used ABS to make panels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO of my 80 series hacked up the passenger side cargo panel to add a subwoofer.
20200401_045446000_iOS.png

I am not a subwoofer kind of guy and I am currently making a sleeping platform/storage box /Corona Project and thought it would be nice to take back the room that the sub was taking up. I have seen a couple of guys on the 60's pages using ABS sheets to make cargo panels. I know the 60 panels don't contour as the 80's do. Has anyone else tried this in an 80? I linked the post from the 60's thread, some really trick looking work for sure.

Here's interior panels made of 1/8 in. ABS plastic and a marine hatch covering up the power port station holding (2) 12 v. plugs, AC Converter and a 12 v. rechargeable flashlight.

The last pic. is of the automotive fasteners used to secure the panels to the existing holes.

Good luck!
View attachment 578173View attachment 578174View attachment 578175

Just buy a used one, there, job finished in 30 minutes, along with a :beer:.
Secondly, that looks like a half decent job they did on that panel, I bet someone would buy it if you put it in the classifieds!

Just buy a used one, there, job finished in 30 minutes, along with a :beer:.
Secondly, that looks like a half decent job they did on that panel, I bet someone would buy it if you put it in the classifieds!
Yea they did a good job with it. It’s a little dinged up but overall pretty good quality. I may throw it in there and see if anyone would trade for it.

It's probably more expensive, but research Kydex. It's heat malleable, comes in different colors, and is used as interior door panels in smaller aircraft as well as for holsters.

It's probably more expensive, but research Kydex. It's heat malleable, comes in different colors, and is used as interior door panels in smaller aircraft as well as for holsters.
I have worked with kydex before and I think it would work too. But I have read and seen a couple YouTube videos of guys using a heat gun to manipulate the ABS as well.

You might be able to find a deck plate to cover the hole.

I'm interested in this too. I'm going to ABS door panels when I redo my interior and it would be cool to have matching panels in the back.

I'm interested in this too. I'm going to ABS door panels when I redo my interior and it would be cool to have matching panels in the back.
yea I have seen a couple guys on here replace door cards with the ABS and it looks pretty cool.

There was a street rod vendor a while back that was selling door cards and accessories in PVC if I remember correctly. It was a neat set up, they sold the door cards, then molded arm rests, speaker enclosures, etc., that could all be PVC glued together and finished with a covering. Most people don't think about sheet PVC, but it is pretty workable. Used to make signs and displays with it back in the day.

Jason

There was a street rod vendor a while back that was selling door cards and accessories in PVC if I remember correctly. It was a neat set up, they sold the door cards, then molded arm rests, speaker enclosures, etc., that could all be PVC glued together and finished with a covering. Most people don't think about sheet PVC, but it is pretty workable. Used to make signs and displays with it back in the day.

Jason
yeah it definitely seems like a rabbit hole i'd like to go down, found a guy that did a whole headliner on a hot rod with it.

I have worked with kydex before and I think it would work too. But I have read and seen a couple YouTube videos of guys using a heat gun to manipulate the ABS as well.

ABS is brittle and sensitive to petroleum solvents. Kydex can take a hit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom