Anyone Running A Dash Cam? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Maybe you got one for Christmas or have been running one for years, does anyone have a dash camera in their 100? I was interested in getting one but wanted feedback on all the different ones first. It seems like I see a lot of dumb sh*t while driving and I wouldn't mind getting some of it on camera. Also, does yours have a LCD screen or no? I want something small and discreet that can be tucked away, not a computer monitor hanging from my windshield.

I have a Pruveeo Q5 FHD discreetly mounted in front of the rearview mirror on the passenger side. I don't see the LCD from the drivers seat and fortunately, there is a faint blinking light when the dashcam is recording that lets me know when its on.

Also have a A118c that i plan to mount in the rear.
Had 2 Spytec G1W that produced great quality but both burnt out within a year.

Funny, I was thinking the same. The Police over here are now asking for all video footage to be sent to them so they can prosecute bad drivers, it is a cheap way for them to monitor the roads. Unless they catch me on camera in a rush then I think it is a good idea, just some driving at times is so poor it deserves punishment.

I went from a cheap $30 buck referbished cobra from Frys that did its job well to the blackvue 750s 2 channel,

Things I will recommend after having both.

Yes its worth it :) in my book to shell out the 270 bucks for the blackvue. Its so nice not having the tv screen on the windshield but using your phone for a live vue or to watch saved film. It sends notifications to my phone if it detects an impact or loud noise and I can log on to see what happened. If its in wifi range of the phone or is connected to a wifi network.

If you get one and live in very hot or cold climate look for one that runs on a capacitor over a battery.

Reactions: uHu
Good point, I didn’t think they recorded when Vehicle is parked. I have had a couple of scrapes whilst being parked up. The last one one was within a week of having the paint done, I will probably pick one up in the sales.How cold do you mean? We get frost but nothing seriously cold.

I live in Texas so I don;t really know what cold is lol. I am assuming sub freezing for extended times.

My brother experienced a hit and run, he didn't catch the tag. I ordered a cheap ($50) cam that afternoon for my wife (04LC), G1W-X, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX88JIQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The battery has lasted 2 years in Atlanta, I just ordered a replacement battery.

I just got the same cam for my 98 LX. It has motion detection, impact detection and a parking monitor. You need to add a memory card and bring it in the house to view.
From outside:
From drivers:
Tried to capture a screen shot, but sun was not cooperating:

Good point, I didn’t think they recorded when Vehicle is parked. ....

Some do - in fact both of the ones I run do. Although they require add-on wiring kits. They typically only come on if motion is sensed, although one can be set to just run until the truck's battery hits a user defined too low of a charge state. In the LC I have a VicoVation OPIA2, and in the other I have a Thinkware 800 pro. Both a bit on the $$$ side but I got tired of the cheapies dying with the vehicles sitting out in the Florida sun. Also the better units seem to have better lens (helps with plate ID) and better night vision. The OPIA2 has a small screen and resolution between HD and 4k (1440) while the Thinkware runs 1080P and does not have a display screen (need to view on a smartphone). The Thinkware is more discreet.

Some do - in fact both of the ones I run do. Although they require add-on wiring kits. They typically only come on if motion is sensed, although one can be set to just run until the truck's battery hits a user defined too low of a charge state. In the LC I have a VicoVation OPIA2, and in the other I have a Thinkware 800 pro. Both a bit on the $$$ side but I got tired of the cheapies dying with the vehicles sitting out in the Florida sun. Also the better units seem to have better lens (helps with plate ID) and better night vision. The OPIA2 has a small screen and resolution between HD and 4k (1440) while the Thinkware runs 1080P and does not have a display screen (need to view on a smartphone). The Thinkware is more discreet.

How does 4k work in reality? Isn't the file size still just too large to be able to manage easily? 1080P still produces large files, but it seems like it is not overwhelming for the present memory card sizes.

My mother bought me a cheap dash cam, I hate it and want a different one, I've read reviews on them and have a couple to choose from in my Amazon cart.
The one I have I nest it up to turn the screen off after 3min and it automatically overwrites the data when the card is full.

I am going to get one of these. Not sure which one yet. I don't want to break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3KFZFZ4I69DS1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YRBQSK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_15?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AV07WFH1V5VEQ

Here is the one I want, I've seen it under a different brand.

Zetronix Online store

How does 4k work in reality? Isn't the file size still just too large to be able to manage easily? 1080P still produces large files, but it seems like it is not overwhelming for the present memory card sizes.

It isn't truly 4K. As described in their manual it's 2K Ultra-HD 1440p HDR (2560x1440 HDR). It has software settings to reduce image size to 1080P if desired. I'm running a 64-GByte memory card and it overwrites when it runs out of space - after 516 minutes for 1440P, or 710 minutes at 1080P. So yes, present memory cards have made that issue pretty much go away.

As an aside for those who haven't used one, an older, cheapo dashcam I had ran at 720p and I was never really able to read a plate on a car in front of me. May not make a lot of sense to those who haven't used one, but it's a function of the lenses. All are virtually very wide angle so objects are smaller than one might assume without having viewed a recording.

Final note. I turned off the in-car video screen of the VicoVation model, and if I were to buy again I'd probably get another Thinkware. For either one could always pop out the memory card and view in a PC. But for the Thinkware, it can connect to a smartphone for on the spot file viewing/saving (like if involved in an accident).

I've been running dash cams for the past 6-7 years. I bought few more to catch the action on the rear. I had the dash cam running for 5-6 days full time when parked. It draws a negligible current and the truck started right away after sitting this long. I now plan to have the front dash to run full time. This is a good safety measure to see what goes around the truck 24X7.

I have dash cams in both my 100 and my pickup. Best money I think I’ve spent. I live in the dc area and nutty things are liable to break out any time here. It comes on when the truck is started and goes off 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. Easy.
Just some piece of mind for me. You catch some funny stuff from time to time as well.

I have been running this for about a month after picking it on sale for $50 @ amazon:

Roav by Anker Dash Cam C2, FHD 1080P, 3" LCD, 4-Lane Wide-Angle View Lens, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Night Mode, 2-Port Charger, No Wifi or APP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742DD36K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_91psAb6JVAGE4

Very simple and works in cold climates.

The one I was running before was this:

Z-Edge Z3 3" Screen 2K 2560 x1080 Ultra HD Car Dash Camera 145 Deg Wide Angle Lens Dash Cams with Ambarella Chip, 32GB SD Card Included, WDR Enhance Night Vision, G-Sensor, Parking Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YRBQSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_L5psAbNTWGY67

Twice as much money, better video resolution, but it died in 6 months and the menu system was aweful. If you don’t want to spend a lot, I am loving the Roav by Anker.

My company insists that the service technicians have 'How's my driving?' stickers on the back bumper of the vans. The Tech's have no real recourse to dispute a call-in. I have one of these facing out the front and facing out the back. Looks like watching a movie on playback, will record sound, auto-start on power up, 10 minute chunks of video, auto loop. I just let them run.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNSDRW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's my setup, also like to catch the rear action...

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

I tried a few different ones. Settled on the Z Edge Z3. Quality is awesome. It still lacks a feature to mark an interesting clip. You can hit a tag button, but it starts a new clip. So I can deduce where the action scene is, but I want one that has a 30 second buffer going back in time, so when I hit "tag" after the event it captures said event. Anyways, it's a great cam for $100. I forget I even have it, which for me, is the point.

Camera: http://amzn.to/2vrRn6w

Install video in the 100:

Near accident I caught on a Cannonball Run from Phx to Denver:

The placement of my cam impacts the mirrors auto dimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom