Anyone or any place done a review / comparison of 1hz turbo kits to suit hzj75's and hzj80's ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It sits in the back of my mind that when one day I can afford to replace the old nearly 700 k km 1hz in my 80 I'd like another 1hz not a 1hdt and fit a turbo kit myself. But there are plenty of offerings - DTS, HP Diesel, etc.

Being a pleb with no turbo diesel experience they all basically look similar to me. All I know is that the rule of thumb is to keep boost low and manage EGT to a safe level to get a good power increase without risking damage to the motor.

A turbo kit is a A$4000 purchase so not a cheap proposition on top of the cost of a replacement motor. Places here that sell rebuilt 1hz's already fitted with a turbo kit are asking around A$10k to A$12k on an exchange basis. I could potentially have my own existing 1hz rebuilt instead if I'm happy to have my 80 out of action for a month or more.

For now I'm just curious to know the in's and out's of what turbo kits are available for 1hz's while it's still a thing with decent commercial support.

you are better off doing the research and building a kit yourself, it is easier than you might think.
i believe some people go down the route of using a 1hdt turbo to use on the 1hz as it is 'almost' the same engine, search in google and type ih8mud after your search and a lot of stuff will come up, its a path alot of people have taken

All I know is that the rule of thumb is to keep boost low and manage EGT to a safe level to get a good power increase without risking damage to the motor.

Incorrect.

Low boost and lots more fuel was the go to 20-30 years ago to make more power. It kills engines.

Some of the older turbo kit manufacturers still stick to this approach. It's flawed thinking.

By low boost I mean sub 15 psi perhaps even as low as 10. More fuel is going to make the motor run much hotter ? Is a 1hz *designed* to be a turbo-capable motor from the outset?

toyota made 1 rare version of the 1hz with a turbo from factory (then made the 1hdt based off the 1hz architecture)
any engine can be turboed, some do better than others due to things like piston oil squirters, thicker ring lands, bigger wrist pins, better crank etc.
boost cools the combustion process due to more cool air to fuel load.
fuel is what gives you the extra power, but fuel is heat in a diesel and heat is death (extra fuel in a gasser makes it run 'cooler' and safer due to detonation issues, diesel doesnt do this though)
you prob want 15psi (or better) and 'some' extra fuel, tuning is key, pre turbo egt gauge is your friend

Just fit a 1HD-T and change your rod bearings every 100,000km.

A 1HZ turbocharged is inferior to the HD-T in every way. That's why Toyota made the 1HD-T.

Indeed - it really doesn't matter which way I go as the cost is still going to be at least A$10k or higher for any turbo diesel motor setup (1hz+t, 1hdt, 1hdft). And as people know I've theorised getting a brand new 1hz crate motor but the one-off cost to do that is higher again.

I researched turbos pretty heavily prior to doing my install last year (see link in signature).

Since there are SO MANY turbo options out there, I just went straight to the source for advice. I called the owner of PDI Intercoolers in Australia to get his advice. He stated, "if cost is not an issue, get a GTurbo, and don't look back." Coming from someone that has installed hundreds of these, I trusted his advice and went that route. GTurbo + massive intercooler + 3" stainless exhaust. It gave so much life to my 1HZ, and I rarely pass 1100F pre-turbo EGT. The truck runs AWESOME now.

Hope this helps.

I don't intend to intercool or anything fancy like that - just give my original 1hz some better performance (once I've done some important service jobs like shims, injectors, water pump, etc.). Not wanting to do it for towing 2+ tonne loads at 100 kph. $4k for a turbo kit vs $10k for a 1hdt replacement motor. If my existing motor has decent compression (testing that soon) and no obvious blow-by it's probably a goer for improved aspiration.

intercooling aint fancy....its for engine safety margins, you should do it,
there are less expensive ways of doing it too
dont buy a turbo kit.... make one

I don't intend to intercool or anything fancy like that - just give my original 1hz some better performance (once I've done some important service jobs like shims, injectors, water pump, etc.). Not wanting to do it for towing 2+ tonne loads at 100 kph. $4k for a turbo kit vs $10k for a 1hdt replacement motor. If my existing motor has decent compression (testing that soon) and no obvious blow-by it's probably a goer for improved aspiration.
You MUST intercool the 1hz if you are going to run a turbo reliably. IDI diesels hold heat like you wouldn't believe.

You MUST intercool the 1hz if you are going to run a turbo reliably. IDI diesels hold heat like you wouldn't believe.
What a load of bulldust! It's all in the tune and absolutely nothing to do with whether you have an intercooler or not.

I've seen soo many turbo 1HZ with an intercooler that have massive issues because the tune was terrible. The intercooler has nothing to do with reliability, it's 100% the tune.

What a load of bulldust! It's all in the tune and absolutely nothing to do with whether you have an intercooler or not.

I've seen soo many turbo 1HZ with an intercooler that have massive issues because the tune was terrible. The intercooler has nothing to do with reliability, it's 100% the tune.
Ok🫡

I am very aware of the design of the 1hz makes it hotter at the top end but there should be no need to intercool it if tuned properly, egt monitored, and boost kept 'safe' (ie. not going to stupidly insane power increase). Just my 2c.

I keep the cooling system maintained properly btw.

I am very aware of the design of the 1hz makes it hotter at the top end but there should be no need to intercool it if tuned properly, egt monitored, and boost kept 'safe' (ie. not going to stupidly insane power increase). Just my 2c.

I keep the cooling system maintained properly btw.
My original post was poorly worded, all be it coming from first hand experience. I will say don't be surprised if down the track you need to install an intercooler to get where you want to be. Set it up first without sure, you may not ever need one. I know that as soon as I started to run 35s an intercooler was in the pipeline.

Ok fair points. I only have experience with factory intercooled car engines not diesels. Saab 16v turbo engines mostly.

So what would make it necessary (or even just helpful) to have an intercooler with a turbo'd n/a engine? I've never had a turbo diesel vehicle so like most things it's new ground to explore.

lower egt's ultimately..... when your staring at the gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom