anyone interested in a report of a 13BT manifold and turbo onto a 70 series 3B? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

turbonetics offer a exhuast input flange with a ct-26 foot print. That can be built with a garrett.

Lance said that is why he has not sold many adapters, due to the housing being avail.... but the housing is almost too big for a 3b. But may work.

Next time try that.

My idea for a head shield is, to have it mount on the holes with no bolts in them(like support holes) and also pick up under one or two manifold bolts. Or the valve cover..

Let me look at my engine again. I can think it out...

Alamo supplies that foot print on some of their turbos...

i am thinking a turbo blanket to retain the heat away from the clutch master...

or you could put some hotwater tank insulation on the clutch master. That 1/4 inch think all tin foil stick on stuff. That would also repel the heat.

oh yah... I never looked...

good to know.

For some heat control, you could get a piece of stainless sheetmetal and do some nice bending using the manifold for securing.... I have the image in my head :')

On my BJ42, I just used fiberglass heat wrap all the way down the down pipe. It's worked very well for me.

i got some sort of fibreglass(i think) insulation at mopac fro 60 or 70 bucks, cant remember. i had a bit of an exhaust leak post turbo that i didnt get time to fix before i came to christchurch though.

ive used something similar at a sag-d plant north of fort macmurray for wrapping glycol lines with stainless heat trace. if you know any instrument techs ask them about high temp insulation cause they might know where there is some laying around.

thanks for the suggestions guys...

the fiberglass wrap is going to be a tight one since i have just a couple mm to work with...
i am thinking of pulling the clutch boost extention and see if i can retro fit a firewall mounted clutch assembly...

so i stopped by Alamo today to chat about the clutch and turbo issue with this unique setup and we chatted about turbo blankets.

this is their veiw of turbo blankets, these are NOT GOOD for the turbos. they trap heat inside which causes problems for oiling after the trubo is shut down. they recommend a heat sheild instead since ti protects the accessories from the heat but allows the turbo to cool properly.
in this situation they are recommending a turbo blanket for around the clutch booster and not the turbo itself.

makes sense to me...
cheers

yah I think that sounds right.

Yup I looked at the hot water foil,,, it is bubble wrap inside. No good :(

So after driving for bit How hot does the clutch booster get?

If its disipating heat just forget about it.

But it is winter, and not lugging on a trail..

I can only imagine just making a shield out of .040 stainless. no need to go thicker. Even thinner if possible. .025 alum is strong enough for shield, so stainless in that size would work too.

i worked for "B.C. powersmart" for B.C. hydro years ago and probally installed 150 hotwater blankets, so thats how i knew.

Wayne, me and jen have 1990 subaru legacy gt here in christchurch, the turbo in it uses a heat sheild/shroud with a hood scoop to vent the hot air off of it down around the turbo following the exhaust down under the car. the intercooler is up front in front of the rad. i think this is more like the setup youre refering to.

Cody, got any pics?

BB, i am stillnot opposed to the heat shield but the area is TIGHT with the boost relay rod passing with a couple mm of the clutch master booster...

the first pic is the hood scoop, it directs the air to a port on the passenger side.

the second is a passenger side view(rhd) of the engine compartment. air filter compartment at bottom near yellow cap. turbo is just above it under shroud. the silver shroud with the mesh on top is the shroud around the turbo. The intercooler is the large box above it with subaru insignia. you can see the output side of the intercooler feeding the intake manifold.

third picture is the shroud, you can just make out the intake side of the turbo below it and the wastegate actuator on bottom left. as well you can see where the airbox feeds the intake side of turbo, and on top right is intercooler.
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG

we bought the subaru at a dealer for $2000nzd aprox. $1400cad, were heading to australia in a month and a half and will probally try to get $1500nzd aprox. $1100 cad for it. i'm almost thinking of taking the turbo,intercooler shroud etc with me and maybe the momo steering wheel and taking the rest to a wrecker to see what i would get for it. i think its about 2.0 so it would probally spoll up a little early for a cruiser, but it doesnt really start huffing till about 3000 up till about 7 or 8 krpm. i wind it out pretty hard but im turning it over shortly, so i dont really care as long as it last another month and a half.

i am thinking of pulling the clutch boost extention and see if i can retro fit a firewall mounted clutch assembly...

reviving a ten year old thread! Did you ever resolve this? I have the same problem with my BJ73 that I'm gathering parts for a turbo install on. I am building a custom manifold though, so I could simply locate the turbo a little further forward rather than in the middle of the manifold like the 13BT, yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom