anyone interested in a report of a 13BT manifold and turbo onto a 70 series 3B? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne for the spot where you need longer bolts where the manifold attaches. I went and bought threaded rod and cut it to length. It was easier to do that(in metric) then try to get longer bolts in the correct length up here in Nothern BC.

Now comes the first setback, the waste gate activator is facing away from the turbo housing which is normal. The problem is with the 1” adaptor between the custom turbo and the 13BT manifold the 1984 clutch housing is blocking the activator. We need to reverse the activator rod so it faces towards the turbo and relocate the waste gate to in front of turbo housing. This will clear the clutch booster by about 2 mm, the turbo housing by about 2 mm, the custom actuator housing mount by the same and the oil pressure line by 6 mm. A tight fit to say the least.
On some of the later 3B equipped vehicles form Japan they have a different clutch set-up…

On my wastegate, I had to weld a piece of metal onto it and relocate the holes so I could "clock" it to a more natural posistion.

So a fancy bracket maybe needed to be made......

But my problem was how much I had to clock the cold section to get it to point at the butterfly valve.

Some more pics of what needed to be done...
Make sure you line up the piviot to the same angle as before you removed it...
grind off the weld, flip it over and weld it back on...
now you have the clearence needed to run the activator rod...
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 039.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 040.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 041.jpg

You can see how flipping the piviot around made for adaquate clearence.
the extension to the rod and the custom mount to move it to the front of the housing...
the turbo sitting in place with the oil sender unit mounted to monitor the oil pressure getting to the turbo.
tight fit...
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 043.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 044.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 045.jpg

We relocated the power steering reservoir to the fender to keep the fluid away from the heat of the turbo as well as giving the muffler shop more room to do their artistry...
A maze of hoses...
the vacuum reservoir can be bolted back into the stock location...
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 046.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 047.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 048.jpg

Installation of the factory air box and custom extension to the inlet looks almost factory, the cross over tube needs paint...
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 049.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 050.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 051.jpg

Well this how we did this installation. The muffler shop did a great job of running the connector pipe down.

I will give a drivers impression tomorrow...

cheers and thanks for following along...
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 052.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 053.jpg
13BT turbo install on a RHD 70 series 054.jpg

nice exhaust!

nice install Wayne, congrates. Its a tight fit on RHD 70 cruiser.... A 60 is wide open. At least a LHD one.

Very cool - will you install a heat shield?

okay, i will try and answer a couple questions real fast,
first thanks for the compliments.

Louis,
i am trying to figure out what i can do to reduce the heat that will be generated to the clutch boost. the master i am not concerned about.

BB,
i wanted to try something different instead of the usual pan removal and oil feed. the adapter was removed anyway and it made for very easy tapping and so far it seems to have worked well. tomorrow we will have what oil pressure is getting to the turbo as well as what boost he will be running.

Gold Boy,
he is a kid so i wanted to try and keep the boost down to 8 lbs till he gets used to it then if he wants to crank it up we will. (he also needs to fix his brakes first)

For some heat control, you could get a piece of stainless sheetmetal and do some nice bending using the manifold for securing.... I have the image in my head :')

what are the specs on the cold side...looks like a relatively large compressor? T-what, A/R, trim? look forward to hearing how it works...

Steve

Hi guys,
the A/R ratio i will pull up later today.

i am pituring a heat shield in my head as well BB, send me your thoughts and i will combine them with mine and we shoudl be golden...

Moose, the other 3Bs i turbo, RHD had the clutch master mounted directly to the firewall but since this si the first one sticking out this far i wanted to be careful of a blanket statement...

later today will disconnect the cross over and do a timed run then hook it back up with 14 lbs of boost and see what the results are. the kid took it for a run for parts yesterday just before we quit and if the smile on his face is any inclination, i guess he is happy...

well:

oil pressure to the turbo at normal highway speeds is 75 lbs, more than adaquate.

boost is set at 9 lbs and pulling VERY nicely.

pyro is running 1200F max preturbo which is satisfactory.

the final installation is clean and functioning well.

the mapped turbo is working as hoped for.

i would say this setup works good for all 3B units where the clutch master is against the firewall. if i had to do it again on one of these setups i would run the 13BT manifold with a different foot printed turbo thus removing the adapter plate and moving the turbo about 1/2"-3/4" away from the master.

all in all the kid is very happy wiht the setup and i am pleased.

so in answer to your question, yes in most situations this is the setup i will be using on the 3Bs...

cheers

turbonetics offer a exhuast input flange with a ct-26 foot print. That can be built with a garrett.

Lance said that is why he has not sold many adapters, due to the housing being avail.... but the housing is almost too big for a 3b. But may work.

Next time try that.

My idea for a head shield is, to have it mount on the holes with no bolts in them(like support holes) and also pick up under one or two manifold bolts. Or the valve cover..

Let me look at my engine again. I can think it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom