Anyone have pics of putting a 5-speed behind the 2F engine and the frame mods required? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is our crossmember for H55 and a split case from a 60-series.

View attachment 2338219View attachment 2338220

I played with a 60-series and 62-series crossmember but neither really was going to work very well. This is an 80-series which fit much better although it is cut and modified. A 70-series would work good too although will need to be shortened/narrowed more than an 80. I did modify the crossmember to suit a 1985+ 60-series trans mount.

Different engine but still an in-line 6. Also trans hump mods required for how we set this up.

Cheers
Do you sell that? My brother is putting a H55f in a 1990 FJ62 and this is a missing part of the puzzle.

Thanks
Ernie

I fitted a H55 to my 71 FJ40 and didn't have to mod the crossmember, its close but it clears.
Had to modify the transmission cover by using the piece savaged from the 60 series, also used the gearbox crossmember with some trimming.
Here is a picture of the cover with 60 series gearsticks and boots.
IMG_2554_2.jpg

I fitted a H55 to my 71 FJ40 and didn't have to mod the crossmember, its close but it clears.
Had to modify the transmission cover by using the piece savaged from the 60 series, also used the gearbox crossmember with some trimming.
Here is a picture of the cover with 60 series gearsticks and boots.View attachment 2339423
That is really nice work! did you just purchase a 60 series transmission transmission hump, and then cut the raised portion and then weld to the 40 series hump? What Mig weld wire and settings did you use? I am also learning Mig welding as I bought a better weleder.

Thanks, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
I bought a complete 60 series to wreck out. I used the 2F and 5 speed, rear diff assembly, power steering and front disc brakes and many other bits and pieces.
I cut the transmission hump out of the 60 and welded it in as the original 3 speed cover needed to be higher to clear the H55.
Mig wire settings will vary for each machine, best to test on some scrap the same thickness your going to weld.
I am still not very good at welding but getting better with practice.

Thanks, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
I bought a complete 60 series to wreck out. I used the 2F and 5 speed, rear diff assembly, power steering and front disc brakes and many other bits and pieces.
I cut the transmission hump out of the 60 and welded it in as the original 3 speed cover needed to be higher to clear the H55.
Mig wire settings will vary for each machine, best to test on some scrap the same thickness your going to weld.
I am still not very good at welding but getting better with practice.

Forr me, I am starting to think the 3FE-5speed-split case. Late 70s axles with disc brakes. So then the 60 series cross member or the kit from 4 plus products should get me on the road to what I need to install. So to get everything to line up and get the proper angle, did you hoist the complete engine-tranny-xfercase assembly as one unit and then bolt up the front engine mounts and support the rear with a jack or likewise to get your measurements?

Here is a crossmember or torque tube we did recently.

View attachment 2338216View attachment 2338217View attachment 2338218

This is 2” x 3/16’s wall DOM. The stock crossmember is 2.25” and probably not even 1/8” wall. If you have access to a tube bender or k ow a shop that does it’s not hard to bend up a new crossmember and fit it. Roll it back as needed for clearance.

Cheers

Would you be willing to mfg me a crossmember and torque tube? I don’t have a tubing bender. I don’t know if you can do it off frame meausurements I provide unless you have an old FJ40 frame and I guess its hard to know exactly where things will line up. I suppose of the torque tube were a bit longer I can shift the hump left and right for alignment and then cut the ends off. Your plate gussets look really nice. Overall a 1st class job!

I know we throw the term mini truck around what year and name/model of vehicle should I search for?

If your considering disc brakes front and rear might think about 80 series booster/master from a non ABS truck.

Not sure what you mean by late 70s rear axle? On the 40 series hand brake started 8/80 and never had disc brakes. At some point 70 series had disc on the back and 6 lugs. Late switched to five lug.

Forr me, I am starting to think the 3FE-5speed-split case. Late 70s axles with disc brakes. So then the 60 series cross member or the kit from 4 plus products should get me on the road to what I need to install. So to get everything to line up and get the proper angle, did you hoist the complete engine-tranny-xfercase assembly as one unit and then bolt up the front engine mounts and support the rear with a jack or likewise to get your measurements?
I installed the engine with the bell housing on then fitted the box. Engine bolted up to the F155 mounts.
There are a few pictures in my build thread of the transmission being fitted.
You will need a spacer to clear the firewall rib if you have one or remove the rib.

Matt

I installed the engine with the bell housing on then fitted the box. Engine bolted up to the F155 mounts.
There are a few pictures in my build thread of the transmission being fitted.
You will need a spacer to clear the firewall rib if you have one or remove the rib.

Matt

Are you saying instead of adding a crossmember under the transmission your still using the motor mounts on the bellhousing? F155 mounts? The 40 series F petrol engines all had the same holes the front mounts. 8/80 the motor mounts on the bellhousing were were replaced with the under engine crossmember.

If your considering disc brakes front and rear might think about 80 series booster/master from a non ABS truck.

Not sure what you mean by late 70s rear axle? On the 40 series hand brake started 8/80 and never had disc brakes. At some point 70 series had disc on the back and 6 lugs. Late switched to five lug.

oh i meant late 1970s FJ40 axles. i want to keep my 1965 under dash parking brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom