Anyone have pics of putting a 5-speed behind the 2F engine and the frame mods required? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
All,

So going to do the 2F engine swap into the '65 with the Holley Sniper setup. Looking for pics and posts on what mods it actually takes to move the crossmember and put in the supports for the engine and tranny to their new locations.

Thank you

Your 2F front motor mounts will be the same. Seen people use rear motor mounts on a four speed bellhousing. Where the torque tube is moved to depends on where you plan having your hand brake. Hand brake on the rear axle the amount of clearance required in the area of the hump. I installed a four speed in my 68 back in 1994. The clearance to the torque tube was a fraction of an inch. Thought about changing the torque tube to the 73+ style. Even purchased one. But since than have bought more FJ40s. One a 79 that is much easier to add a five speed. Haven't looked how the L brackets for the transmission crossmember on my 68 but guessing it will be like my 79. That will require filling in one of the holes on each frame rail to have a solid area for the L brackets.

Here is the shape of the torque tube change that happened for the 73 model. Can see how it shaped for better clearance where the rear driveshaft is located.
IMG_20190610_091829413.jpg

@lcwizard posted pictures a year ago of a product he makes and sells to use as a crossmember for the transmission. If your not sure who he is 4Plus products.

ah ok. pic is worth a 1000 words. how did you cut that out? Looks like you took some of the channel with it? I just bought a new welder yesterday. But now I need to know how to cut pieces like this out. I am still debating whether or not to do a 2F engine with 5-speed or maybe just do an LS conversion. Big price difference but maybe more mod work. Do you have any pics of the setup with the new engine mounts?

Bad picture but you get the idea. This is a 60 series cross member. The frame angle is different so it needs some work to fit correctly. I have since found a 40 series cross member that will go in when I paint the truck. The frame brace is close to the rear of the transfer case, it will need to be moved or modified if you go with the transfer case e brake. I opted for a later rear axle with e brake on it. I recently dropped the transmission/transfer case to do the rear main seal, it is close but can be done.

20200610_103013.jpg

From what I've found there are three variants L brackets on the 4X series. Short wheel base and mid wheel base are the same. FJ45 and HJ47 each have their own. Then two variants of the 4X crossmember. 8/80-9/82 and 10/82+. The 10/82+ offers better clearance for the front driveshaft for the longer H55F. The Short wheel base/mid wheel base L brackets are the only ones long enough for the FJ40.

In my 1966 I have a 3FE - H55 - Split case. I used a 3F bellhousing - A modified FJ 60 (Later style) crossmember and a LCWizard torque tube. I am running FJ62 axles front and rear, rear axle has e brake.

Dyno

Bad picture but you get the idea. This is a 60 series cross member. The frame angle is different so it needs some work to fit correctly. I have since found a 40 series cross member that will go in when I paint the truck. The frame brace is close to the rear of the transfer case, it will need to be moved or modified if you go with the transfer case e brake. I opted for a later rear axle with e brake on it. I recently dropped the transmission/transfer case to do the rear main seal, it is close but can be done.

View attachment 2335510
I was looking at late 70s axles. Not sure if they have the e brakes on them,, but hope so. so did you have to change the xfer case output shaft since it doesn’t have the drum brake assy on it?

In my 1966 I have a 3FE - H55 - Split case. I used a 3F bellhousing - A modified FJ 60 (Later style) crossmember and a LCWizard torque tube. I am running FJ62 axles front and rear, rear axle has e brake.

Dyno
you know I was thinking of the 3FE but then I was sort of talked into a 2F with a Holley Sniper. What made you go with the 3FE?

Secondly, term question. The crossmember is the flat plate that goes under the xfer case and across to each side of the frame? And the torque tube is the saddle shaped cross tube but behind the xfer case? Did you have to cut and move that back?

Can you show some pics of it all?

I was looking at late 70s axles. Not sure if they have the e brakes on them,, but hope so. so did you have to change the xfer case output shaft since it doesn’t have the drum brake assy on it?

The 8/80+ 40 series rear axle have a hand brake except the long wheel base. The transfer case for a H55F is the split case style. In most cases these did not have a hand brake. Exception was the long wheel base 40 series. If you do go with hand brake on the rear axle do some research on how to operate it with a dash mounted handle. Done right two pieces are used with a lever where they connect.

you know I was thinking of the 3FE but then I was sort of talked into a 2F with a Holley Sniper. What made you go with the 3FE?

Secondly, term question. The crossmember is the flat plate that goes under the xfer case and across to each side of the frame? And the torque tube is the saddle shaped cross tube but behind the xfer case? Did you have to cut and move that back?

Just to be clear the crossmember goes under the transmission not the transfer case on the H55F setup in the 40 series. On the 40 series it is three pieces. The center section and L brackets on each side. 8/80 the transmission housing changed to use the crossmember. The rubber isolator bolts to the bottom of the transmission and cradle in the crossmember.

you know I was thinking of the 3FE but then I was sort of talked into a 2F with a Holley Sniper. What made you go with the 3FE? I did not want to go V8 on this project but I did want fuel injection, so the 3FE seemed intriguing.

Secondly, term question. The crossmember is the flat plate that goes under the xfer case and across to each side of the frame? Yes And the torque tube is the saddle shaped cross tube but behind the xfer case?Yes Did you have to cut and move that back?Yes

I will post some pics but I am busy with work, so give me a few days.

The guys at cruiser parts also gave me an idea of putting a small 4 cylinder diesel in as well.

I don't think the holly sniper for the 2F was available when I put the 3FE in my truck, otherwise I might have gone that route. I've found the Toyota EFI is pretty reliable.

I don't think the holly sniper for the 2F was available when I put the 3FE in my truck, otherwise I might have gone that route. I've found the Toyota EFI is pretty reliable.
Well that’s cool. They also mentioned putting a small Toyota diesel in there as well...compelling

I am thinking the 3FE may be the best option for me. It is all Toyota. My only concern is clearing the brake booster as I will have to put an adapter on the firewall.

If Engineer8000 or Dyno can: I need to see some good pics of the frame and measurements to see how the crossmember is modified, how far back the torque tube is moved (again measurements please) and parts used. Looking at my frame It looks like I will have to cut the torque tube out, weld some plate steel gussets in place of the holes I plan to make. The torque tube will have to modified with extensions as it will be shorter compared to the area of the frame its going, which widens out.

Don't over think the torque tube. Order the kit from 4+. it is not on his website, but just call and ask it has the tube already bent and some awesome brackets.

Honestly the biggest pain was the firewall and fitting a booster in there. The FI plenum is big and takes up too much space. I found someone parting out a later model 40. I purchased the pedal bucket and a small section of firewall and grafted it in. problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom