Anyone have experiance rebuilding a transfercase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to install a set of Marlin gears in my 80 transfercase this spring. Does anyone near Atlanta have experience (and the tools) with this project? I am getting a spare case so i can take my time and avoid down time. If anyone can give me a little assistance i will be happy to pay in beer. I think it is a pretty straight forward job but i dont have a press or gear splitter at this time.
Thanks guys

If you don't find anyone. Atlanta Gear and Axle would be my first choice.

@AuburnFJsexy put a set in his old 80 but he doesn't frequent MUD that much anymore. I am guessing that @TeddyBoy could offer some insight because there is a high probability that he was in the vicinity when that went down.

Patrick and I have done some stuff with the tranny on his 60 to get to the tranny seal. It's probably the most annoying thing we've done, mostly because your neck will be fu:censor:d by the time you get it all back together. But everything in there is pretty straightforward, especially with the fsm and some install threads. Good to see you are going with the marlin gears and not the trail gear crap. Let me know if you need a hand and i'll see if i can help.

Yeah we've done it and it's not difficult but that's not really the trick. Getting access to John's lift is the bigger trick these days as Nicks truck is currently on it and mine is about to be soon after.

For those that dont know John is a fellow member that has a backyard shop with a lift. Over the years there's a small group of us that hang out 2 or 3 Saturdays a month working on each other's rigs and drinking beer.

All are welcome to come hang out and share in the fun. If you stick around long enough we just might lend an hand working on your junk too. FYI--Beer is good!

Since you have a spare case it should make it a lot easier to get started. The only "special" tool you would need is a press. The rest of the job, like Ted said, is pretty straight forward. Also, if you are going to have the t-case apart, it would be a great time to put in a part time kit, if that is something you are interested in doing. Mine was a trail only rig, so I didnt put a part time kit on, but if you drive it on the road a good bit, it is a good upgrade (from what I have heard). A thought would be if you set the case up and just took it to a shop like ACC and just paid them to have the 2 cases swapped. I would get a price on that, because swapping out the cases without a lift would be a real pain.

I am going to install a set of Marlin gears in my 80 transfercase this spring. Does anyone near Atlanta have experience (and the tools) with this project? I am getting a spare case so i can take my time and avoid down time. If anyone can give me a little assistance i will be happy to pay in beer. I think it is a pretty straight forward job but i dont have a press or gear splitter at this time.
Thanks guys

Rebuilding Mike Sanders 86 FJ60 Case this weekend. As folks have mentioned doing the job under the truck can be done
but It's a real pain in the butt. Never have fooled around with 80's much so not sure of the process but if you can do the rebuild on a
work bench or have use of a lift it's a hell of a lot easier on you. Good Luck.
:beer:

Yeah we've done it and it's not difficult but that's not really the trick. Getting access to John's lift is the bigger trick these days as Nicks truck is currently on it and mine is about to be soon after.

For those that dont know John is a fellow member that has a backyard shop with a lift. Over the years there's a small group of us that hang out 2 or 3 Saturdays a month working on each other's rigs and drinking beer.

All are welcome to come hang out and share in the fun. If you stick around long enough we just might lend an hand working on your junk too. FYI--Beer is good!

If you score a shot at the lift, I would also consider putting a jack under the bellhousing and pulling the cross member under the transmission. Then let the jack down slightly to improve access to the fasteners along the top of the transfer case. ... just a thought (when we were chasing leaks in the transfercase on a BJ73 at New Years, we could have used more room along the top of the t-case)

Good luck

If you score a shot at the lift, I would also consider putting a jack under the bellhousing and pulling the cross member under the transmission. Then let the jack down slightly to improve access to the fasteners along the top of the transfer case. ... just a thought (when we were chasing leaks in the transfercase on a BJ73 at New Years, we could have used more room along the top of the t-case)

Good luck

Thanks for the tip.

I did mine with just jack stands, and installed a new 5-speed and clutch at the same time. It was kind of a biotch. I did have air tools and was inside a shop, but it sucked not having a lift. Just go slow and take lots of notes and pictures as you go for how seals and fiddly parts go.

Rebuilding Mike Sanders 86 FJ60 Case this weekend. As folks have mentioned doing the job under the truck can be done
but It's a real pain in the butt. Never have fooled around with 80's much so not sure of the process but if you can do the rebuild on a
work bench or have use of a lift it's a hell of a lot easier on you. Good Luck.
:beer:

Ben I was referred to you by Teddy boy. I have issues with a FJ60 restoration. Engine reassembly is the issue. I live in Woodstock and can be reached at 404-376-7168. If you have a moment I would appreciate if you could call me.

Thanks guys. I think i am going to have ACC do the rebuild and gear install. Then i will do the swap. I am looking in to making a cradle for my floor jack to hold the transfer (unless someone has one i can barrow). So if anyone can give me a hand with the swap that wold be amazing. I can eather work at my hous in Atlanta, parents house in Cartersville or come to your place if that is easier. I am thinking mid march or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom