Anyone have an antique refrigerator they want hauled off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
Crazy request I know, but I'm looking for one of the old ones with an all metal interior....

Not working of course, got an idea for a smoker..:cool:

Or any ideas where I should look?

Crazy request I know, but I'm looking for one of the old ones with an all metal interior....

Not working of course, got an idea for a smoker..:cool:

Or any ideas where I should look?

Sounds like you may be smoking the wrong stuff:smokin::flipoff2:

They make the best smokers. Usually get them for nothing, but not as many around anymore it seems.

Wife's dad has one he's used for years and years. Thing is black from all the use but still makes the best smoked pheasant and venison jerky. Good luck.

Check appliance stores like Lowes that offer to haul away the customers old crap?
even better, hit up the local auto scrap yard. I know here in town the wrecking yard accepts old appliances and they just scrap them out like a car. Piles of junk sitting there. Worth a shot.

Check CL or Gersons on south Park

I would be careful though with all that old chrome stuff in those vintage reefers. Bad juju for eating - every once in a while you see an article in the paper that someone uses one for grilling, and ends up in the hospital with cadmium or other heavy metal poisoning.

Glenn in Tucson

Reefer

And no, I didn't see that as a pun till it posted (see comment above about *what* splitshot is smoking).

jeez.

Glenn

They make the best smokers. Usually get them for nothing, but not as many around anymore it seems.

Wife's dad has one he's used for years and years. Thing is black from all the use but still makes the best smoked pheasant and venison jerky. Good luck.

Check appliance stores like Lowes that offer to haul away the customers old crap?
even better, hit up the local auto scrap yard. I know here in town the wrecking yard accepts old appliances and they just scrap them out like a car. Piles of junk sitting there. Worth a shot.

We've got and old Crosley at work that dates back to the 50's, would be perfect, problem is the SOB still works..:frown:

I would be careful though with all that old chrome stuff in those vintage reefers. Bad juju for eating - every once in a while you see an article in the paper that someone uses one for grilling, and ends up in the hospital with cadmium or other heavy metal poisoning.

Glenn in Tucson

Grilling requires more heat than smoking...Crap, more research is involved here..

FUD

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. :rolleyes:

I don't think that you'll get heavy metal poisoning from smoking meat in an old reefer, but wanted to point out that the racks can and occasionally do chalk one up for Darwin.

Since it would be a logical thought - "Hey, I've taken out those shelves, what else can do with them...." figured I'd better do a shout out on that.

Here's a article about what horrible things cadmium does to ya - was used interchangeably once upon a time with zinc for coatings. Can't find the reference (was something in EMS, long ago) that made me aware of someone using old wire shelving as a grill (much like someone doing it today using a shopping cart) and then becoming deathly ill. Was traced down to mercury/cadmium poisoning from the coating cooking off while they did the steaks. From the technical stuff, more dangerous being inhaled, than ingested, but don't think either is good for ya.

Hazard:

Would hate to see a fellow Mudder spending a couple of weeks in the hospital, or a much longer time in a wood box.

Cheers!

Glenn in Tucson

There is one in the yard of the hut across the creek from me. It is rusty and sitting open. It is likely free for the taking. Even the recycle guy hasn't messed with it. It's one of a few eyesores that are hanging around. PM...

so smoker question , we smoked some chickens on a cheaper smoker my friend has ...they were good .... could a guy make a smoker buy using a gas grill . and putting a hot box on the end an a little smoke stack on the other??:wrench::beer:

so smoker question , we smoked some chickens on a cheaper smoker my friend has ...they were good .... could a guy make a smoker buy using a gas grill . and putting a hot box on the end an a little smoke stack on the other??:wrench::beer:

Yep, cool idea. I think Sportsman's even sells a charcoal grill on the same lines.
I did find a fridge BTW, just going to need to find someone willing to drag my a** back up rug hill someday.;)

well i got a doaner gas grill an im shur i got some metal to justweldit together maybe we should start a build tread :lol:

Last edited:
well i got a doaner gas grill an im shur i got some metal to justweldit together maybe we should start a build tread :lol:

Go for it! I was planning on doing the same with the frigerfreighter build.:cool:

all i know is for 12bucks for 4 chickens a couple hours of beer drinking and stoking that lil fire was some of the best chicken ever had .... then again maybe the :beer: impeared my judgement

You haven't eaten chicken till you've had one with a beer can stuffed up it's butt and slow cooked..;):hillbilly:Mmmmmmm

Last edited:
We don't care about your little butts. At least as long as you don't fart! If you can grille a bird, you might be elected turkey cooker of the year. God help us all!!

I'm not kidding. If you want to cook a bird, call me.
It would be better for a calf or a lamb. But we can do it
I have a 3 bedroom hut in Prescott Valley where we can have a weekend. It is ready to go...
I would like nothing better than to put a bunch of FJ's in the yard. FJ40's, FJ60's, FJ80's. It would be poetic. Nothing would be better than to host the cruiser gang.
The hut is ready and on the market. A basic hotel room runs $50 to 250 per night for a couple here in town, depending on your preference. This hut can hold three couples or families and costs only $50 per night, provided that you leave it clean when you depart. If you leave a mess, it will cost you double the nightly room charge or more. It is a real three bedroom house. It has a real full kitchen. It is lacking on furniture and dishes, pots and pans. Bring your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom