Anyone have a TJM Rear Bumper & Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I did a search and didn't find any pics of the TJM. I would like a TJM owners review of the bumper. I know the Slee is nicer and more durable. I don't like the Kaymar the way it is on the sides. 4x4 labs is nice, but I don't want to go the calif.

I like both Slee's and Hanna's, just want to make sure I look at the TJM.

Pics and a review of the tire carrier would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have had a TJM on my 80 for about 3 years.

Pros:
Easily installed
Looks like a factory bumper
Comes with pivots on left and right sides.
Tire carrier can be ordered for left or right (or both)
Supports a 35" tire (but is designed for a 33)
Can be used with most trailer hitches

Cons:
Poor quality powdercoating (mine started cracking and peeling within 2 years)
35" tire hangs to low (33 would be ok)
Not as good of a departure angle as the Slee or Hanna bumpers
Wings are not strong enough to withstand serious rock bashing.

The TJM is a decent bumper for moderate off-road use (other than the crappy powdercoating job), but is not the best choice if you plan to do any serious rock crawling. The tire carrier works fine as long as you running a 33" or smaller tire. A 35" tire hangs down too low, causing the tire to hit when coming off steep rock ledges and if you're not careful, it can force the tire into the rear window.

I bought the TJM because I had a 40% discount coupon from a TLCA event raffle which brought it's cost down to less than half the cost of a Slee or Hanna unit. If I had it to do over, I would probably try to trade the certificate for something else and buy one from Christo.

Hope that helps.

Bob
tire carrier-open2.jpg
tjm2.jpg

Last edited:
I've got it on my rig as well. Pro's and con's have already been pretty well described above. However I did bang the sh_t out of mine this weekend at CMCC and it held up incredibly well. Both the guys following my truck told me they thought it would be trashed but it walked away with only one very minor ding, that if you didn't own the truck you would probably never notice. Anyway I know alot of people have said it won't take a beating but I must now respectfully disagree.

Thanks guys. Doesn't look like a bad bumper. I knew it wasn't as durable as the others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom