Anyone ever use this??? Front disk conversion kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was throwing around the idea of converting to front disk brakes. I figure I'd wait until a problem with my drums arises, but I've been looking at all of my options. I was wondering if anyone has used this set up?
Incase you were wondering I plan to don't plan on offroading with it, it would be 95% street driven.

JT's front disk conversion kit

Mini-Truck / FJ60 Swap (hours of labor, trip to the machine shop for the knuckle arms, diving into the birfield, tie rod end incompatibility, and still used components.

I hate advertising like that, oh the drama!! It's like AOL for Linux, they don't make it cause anybody smart enough to use Linux wouldn't use AOL... If you have a cruiser then you don't mind ALL THE WORK of swapping in the mini parts...

They also don't say who's rotors those are, I'll assume Chevy but hell they could be their own and that would force you to buy their product for all of time.. I won't pay to be lazy and that's what that kit is if you ax me..... :)

sonoranfun said:
I hate advertising like that, oh the drama!! It's like AOL for Linux, they don't make it cause anybody smart enough to use Linux wouldn't use AOL... If you have a cruiser then you don't mind ALL THE WORK of swapping in the mini parts...

I love the disclamer at the end. They must be really confident in their kit.

If you are ready to beg, borrow, swap and scrounge for parts, I'm sure you can do it for close to or cheeper than $550. Also, I don't know about the size of the calipers. Those Monte Carlo calipers seam kind of small for the front.

It sounds like you have time to find parts before the drums wear out, so I'd make the most of it and find a propper disc brake setup. I think Steve at EBI cruiser parts used to sell the factory set up (including 40 series knuckles and all) for cheeper than that.

Steve's address cruiser@uniserve.com PM me if you can't get ahold of him there. I'll get you his phone #

Edit: his handle on this forum is Mud Guppy, hangs out on the Coastal Cruiser's section and the 45 section.

Thanks for the opinions. I'll have to check with Steve, thanks for the info. Like I said, my brakes are good for now, so I have plenty of time to gather parts. The reason I'm looking at a kit is because I'm new to these trucks & have no idea what's involved with a conversion. Does anyone know of a site that documents a front and rear disk brake conversion? That way I can see what I'm getting myself into.
Thanks, Shawn

"There are several ways to convert your axle to disc brakes, but we think this is the simplest and least expensive. "

cost me $150 for a complete mini axle assy and $87 for a knuckle rebuild kit to do my 68. i got stronger birfs, hubs and knuckles...does their kit offer that? my pig is going to be done for $125 + a rebuild kit and that's fj60 parts.

" Popular ways include swapping another axle in (flanges rarely match and you still have worn used components) or Mini-Truck / FJ60 Swap (hours of labor, trip to the machine shop for the knuckle arms, diving into the birfield, tie rod end incompatibility, and still used components. "

not hard to swap you old flanges on and i didn't have to go to the machine shop for the knuckle arms, so they are wrong there...not surprising considering it's jto. diving into the birfield is a good thing, cause it's probably could stand to be repacked anyway. i didn't have any tie rod issues...cause i replaced mine with later tie rod ends (which screw into the rod just fine...and you avoid those "used components" like tie rod ends which probably need to be replaced).

plain and simple...find another way.

I used the kit as well and have had no problems. There is no doubt in my mind that the mini-truck option has its advantages; however, I am not gonna do much off-roading in my 45--that's what I have the 42 for. As far as rotors in the future, they are chevy truck rotors and you need not buy them from JTO--you can buy from a dealer and then machine them slightly to the proper opening size to fit over the hub. I like having vented rotors and AFAIK, the mini-truck swap gives you solid rotors. There are many ways to skin a cat.

dieseldog said:
. As far as rotors in the future, they are chevy truck rotors and you need not buy them from JTO--you can buy from a dealer and then machine them slightly to the proper opening size to fit over the hub. .
so, should something happen to yours, no rotor is a direct bolt on...

yes, the spares that I keep handy. Doesn't everyone?

On my old FJ55 I did the front by swapping in front and rear axles from an 1977 FJ55. Then did the rears to disc using GM parts and the adapter plate from one of the cruiser guys in California... cant remember his name at the moment but I was told JTO bought his design (?). Anyway it all ran me just over 300 bucks with new parts.

I like having vented rotors and AFAIK, the mini-truck swap gives you solid rotors.

I don't know where you are but I live in the desert and offroad mostly in sandy and rocky areas.. Last thing I need are holes in my rotors.. Just one more place for small rocks to find and get stuck in..

Cross-drilling is different than venting. Mine are vented--just like those found on your FZJ-80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom