Anyone ever use a Tent Cot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's about the same as sleeping/changing clothes inside the back of your suv. I can comfortable sit up in it but if you are over 6' i think it's going to be tough.

The hammock effect takes a little getting used to (well it's like sleeping in a... cot hehe). It's comfy tho

With 2 people, the bottom is tensioned more so it's more flat (thus a bit more comfy for me- I like a firmer sleeping surface). I have a thin backpack sleeping pad that makes it very sleep-able as well, tho just as is - it's fine.
The 2x is alot bigger inside than you would think. Like I said, I would think the small one would be way too narrow and unstable. the med. (deluxe?) would be better for 1 person than the small, imo.

Wrench said:
Also can you try to change your clothes inside.

no pics needed! :eek:

e9999 said:
no pics needed! :eek:
I wouldn't do that to you all.
I try and take all the pics I can get.

Here is a link w/ quite a bit of photos of the tentcot- but only the small one, which I think is a bit too short and narrow. I got mine at Cabelas.com, btw. (Same price as tentcot.com)
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/tentcot/
PB280187.jpg

PA260116.jpg

When in the bag, the 2x is almost twice as wide as this photo (53" instead of 28"of this photo)- so that's why it's more cumbersome.
PA260093.jpg

Double size
TC1.jpg

TC3.jpg

TC2.jpg

TC4.jpg

Last edited:
aaargh! soooo, is it indeed possible to climb in the double through the ends or not possible / not a good idea? :)

You can climb in through the end but it's not recommended. There is a tag inside that says "dont put all the weight in the ends" or something like that- stability issues obviously. If the legs were bolted down, you could climb in thru the ends since the other side couldn't kick up on you like a see-saw.

I notice the small one has no outrigger legs, maybe another good reason to go with the 'deluxe'. You actually dont need the outrigger legs but they act like ..well, outriggers :) makes it more stable.

James,

In Venezuela we use hammocks quite a bit. On a warm night I rather sleep in a hammock than on a tent. Now, you don't want it too tight. What you want is to position yourself diagonally on the hammock.

I took one to Gold Lake this weekend. It worked out pretty good. This one has a mosquito net built in. I'll bring it to Coyote Flats.

Regards

Alvaro

FirstToy said:
It's about the same as sleeping/changing clothes inside the back of your suv. I can comfortable sit up in it but if you are over 6' i think it's going to be tough.

The hammock effect takes a little getting used to (well it's like sleeping in a... cot hehe). It's comfy tho

With 2 people, the bottom is tensioned more so it's more flat (thus a bit more comfy for me- I like a firmer sleeping surface). I have a thin backpack sleeping pad that makes it very sleep-able as well, tho just as is - it's fine.
The 2x is alot bigger inside than you would think. Like I said, I would think the small one would be way too narrow and unstable. the med. (deluxe?) would be better for 1 person than the small, imo.

yup, hamacas are great, except that the dang yanqis don't know how to use them...
I got one once from the Carcel in Merida where the inmates (senoritas, hopefully) made those lovingly in their spare time... Very comfy, if a bit small for a non-Mayans... Pretty too.
(I got the matrimonial, of course)

FirstToy said:
You can climb in through the end but it's not recommended. There is a tag inside that says "dont put all the weight in the ends" or something like that- stability issues obviously. If the legs were bolted down, you could climb in thru the ends since the other side couldn't kick up on you like a see-saw.

I notice the small one has no outrigger legs, maybe another good reason to go with the 'deluxe'. You actually dont need the outrigger legs but they act like ..well, outriggers :) makes it more stable.

yup, not a good idea to try and get in through the ends without the outriggers I'm sure.
Better through the ends if I use it on the trailer, though.

e9999 said:
Better through the ends if I use it on the trailer, though.

Tentcots are inexpensive, so they seem to make sense for a suv full of gear and unable to sleep inside. More function than amenities, if you see my thinking.

I think something like the Overcamp or Hannibal type tent would be much better if you are packing a trailer. Having the luxury of cargo space, a full-featured quality rooftent seems like a much smarter investment.

Ok Sorry for the delay, the first cot I puchased was damaged and unusable so I had to exchange it.
My Wife and I slept in it the other night. I slept GREAT. My wife on the other had got cold and went inside at about 2:00am. The center bar is noticable but really dosn't bother me when I'm sleeping. Over all I really like it and think it well made and should last a long time.
As far as getting in through the ends. Yes its possible but I wouldn't suggest it on uneven terrain. It feels a little tippy.
DSC00821.JPG
DSC00823.JPG
DSC00825.JPG

Could you get mors picts thru the end to see that bar..

dawg said:
Could you get mors picts thru the end to see that bar..
post#25 on page 1 of this thread. You can see the inside and folded, the bar underneath.

Ponce, glad it worked out!

Been looking at the oasisII or the Technitop but the money thay ask for them hard to justify Both about 1000.00 or more. Rather put hat kinda cash into the rig not on it ? And the 120 lbs of the technitop might be more weight than i want to be throwing around the Tentcot double looks pretty functional

Military just bought a bunch of Tent cots. Got them out of the box and played with a couple last week and I liked it. Fast to set up. Plenty big enough and waaay cheaper than doing the rooftop tent thing. Well see how they do at keeping the creepy crawleys out of my sleeping gear.
Only down side was some of the ones that got wet in shipment were starting to show surface rust on the legs.

Hi All:

All I can say about cots is that you'll need a foam pad for insulation unless it is summertime. No insulation layer during the wintertime = you'll freeze!

-Alan
Seattle

I have the oversized Tent Cot and it works great. I went to a local fabric store and purchased some 3" foam padding to sleep on. I roll it up and secrue it with a couple of straps. The coldest night I spent in the Tent Cot was 38 degrees F and I was toasty warm in my sleeping bag and fleece.

One of the biggest benefits is that I can set it up in under 5 minutes. It's alittle bulky, not a real problem. I just throw it up on the roof rack for storage during our trail rides.

Though the rain fly works just fine, I prefer to string a tarp above the Tent Cot for shade and if it should rain, it gives you alot more protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom