Anybody with 3" stainless? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First I had a 3" mild steel exhaust from Japan which rusted out pretty quick, but the muffler appeared to be good (some kind of dull stainless?)

Second, I welded my own 3" aluminized steel exhaust re-using the Japanese muffler. That lasted about 6 years until it rusted off at the rear axle.

Neither of these were terribly loud in the cab. The engine was louder than the exhaust.

I want to keep this truck "forever" and I don't want to have to build new exhausts every 6 years, so I ordered a 304 stainless one from eBay all mandrel bent, bolt on for the 1HD-T 80. It came with a round muffler included. The turbo spool-up whistle is louder, which is cool, but it drones very loudly at all highway speeds 90+ km/h.

Installing the stainless, I got the feeling it is stiffer and harder than regular steel, and I was thinking this might contribute to louder resonance. Chatting with an experienced exhaust guy, he confirmed this is correct. Therefore, cutting out the eBay muffler and welding in my old Japanese muffler in its place would not necessarily eliminate the drone. He suggested looking for the biggest baffled muffler that I can make fit, and suggested I look at Flowmaster. I am not particularly worried if adding some baffles causes me to lose a couple HP. But now I see Flowmaster only sells aluminized steel mufflers, which kind of defeats the original purpose of going stainless. But maybe I get 10-15 years out of the muffler itself and can keep the rest, which might not be a terrible option.

Does anybody out there have a 3" stainless system on a 1HD-T 80 that does not drone? If so, can you let me know what style/size/location the muffler is? I want to minimize the guessing :) Thanks!

Hi,

Mine is a 3'' SS304 and it's pretty quiet.
But I'm running two straight through mufflers in the stock positions and it's going out in the back also like stock.
Care to check the attached image, it's not the best but it's the only one I found.

DSC_0019_zpsxvozsdwa.jpg

Cheers

Stainless 3" can be mouse quiet if you build it that way.

I have mine dumping into 4", then into 3". I have used two large, straight through, full flow 3" mufflers and it is quiet. No drone. No excessively loud turbo noise.

Pics and video in my turbo build thread linked in my signature.

IMG_20170430_124037.jpg

Magnaflow and others make loads of 3" mufflers. Put in the biggest/longest straight through muffler you can fit. Putting one as close to the rear as possible will have a big impact on how much it drones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom