anybody knows about OEM CV boot clamps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
probably someplace here, sorry, but crunch time, no time to dig:

anybody knows if some of the OEM crimp-on CV boot clamps are one-piece? As in you can't possibly put them on without taking the axle shaft fully off? I vaguely recall that some were but not all. Large or small if so?

OEM clamps are "one-piece" design...not possible to install with cv mounted to truck...if that's what you are driving at.

OEM clamps are "one-piece" design...not possible to install with cv mounted to truck...if that's what you are driving at.

shoot. for sure eh? big and small? dang.

^ unless Toyota has changed the clamp design with in the past year or so from what they've always offered you need to look elsewhere for a retrofit clamp that doesn't require CV shaft removal & disassembly.

Re-clamp is probably a temp fix anyway, just hose clamp it.

I know, mcm clamps and all. may need to improvise something first unfortunately.

Just hit a hardware store for now, link 2 together to make a big one if need be.

Just hit a hardware store for now, link 2 together to make a big one if need be.

The hardware store ones will cut the boots if tightened too much. The Paul/MCM clamps have rounded edges.

How big of a hurry are you in? You should be able to get the MCM clamps in just a few days.

The hardware store ones will cut the boots if tightened too much. The Paul/MCM clamps have rounded edges.

How big of a hurry are you in? You should be able to get the MCM clamps in just a few days.

I have some extras if Paul is delayed a few days, just replenish me when you receive his......I like to carry a few with me.
If that helps you at all?? Even with priority mail and the Monday holiday, Tue/Wed at the earliest.

Used hardware style for 3 years, at least. If you pay attention when tightening them and how the are oriented, they work fine.

I have some extras if Paul is delayed a few days, just replenish me when you receive his......I like to carry a few with me.
If that helps you at all?? Even with priority mail and the Monday holiday, Tue/Wed at the earliest.

very nice of you to offer. I may need to take you up on that. More shortly if so.
thanks

Great of Stan to offer e...but MMC is just 1-2 days to you

^ unless Toyota has changed the clamp design with in the past year or so from what they've always offered you need to look elsewhere for a retrofit clamp that doesn't require CV shaft removal & disassembly.
Onur and I dropped in a new axle today on mine. The clamp appears to be one piece still. So, needless to say, you probably need a boot on your CV in order to keep the massive vibration and wobble down :lol: After the TC Uppers, and the ProFenders, I've added a little over 3" to the front end down travel. This is tearing boots left and right. Any body have any suggestions on a extended boot, softer boot, or one that flexes a lot more? Even the brand new OEM boot is under stress at full droop. It appears to be a inboard issue. The outboard side is fine.

May not help your issues, but I saw these awhile back on a Hilux forum - Kevlar boot covers. Could help with road debris, sticks on the trail, etc.

100_1464.jpg

Onur and I dropped in a new axle today on mine. The clamp appears to be one piece still. So, needless to say, you probably need a boot on your CV in order to keep the massive vibration and wobble down :lol: After the TC Uppers, and the ProFenders, I've added a little over 3" to the front end down travel. This is tearing boots left and right. Any body have any suggestions on a extended boot, softer boot, or one that flexes a lot more? Even the brand new OEM boot is under stress at full droop. It appears to be a inboard issue. The outboard side is fine.

Confucius say: You will eventually limit that down travel

:D

FWIW: The last OEM cv shaft I installed...spring of '11 IIRC...had yellow painted CV boot band clamps. Whereas earlier OEM production units came with near polished type SS band clamps. So far the newer painted clamps have performed better/more reliably with respect to seeping...or more aptly the absence of leaking ;)
I assume the painted clamps have better holding/grip than the older SS style...

FWIW: The last OEM cv shaft I installed...spring of '11 IIRC...had yellow painted CV boot band clamps. Whereas earlier OEM production units came with near polished type SS band clamps. So far the newer painted clamps have performed better/more reliably with respect to seeping...or more aptly the absence of leaking ;)
I assume the painted clamps have better holding/grip than the older SS style...

That maybe the case. I recently had a new CV axle installed on my driver side. The bands were yellow. By the time I had driven home from the dealer there was fresh grease on the underside from the axle. The dealer rebooted the driver side and I have had no issues now.

I don't know why the axle leaked. I don't have too much lift up front.

You are only putting off the inevitable. A full reboot and repack. If your cv boots are starting to leak, don't put a band aid on them. They are trying to tell you they are loosing their elasticity and will most likely tear soon. Just do it. It is not worth the risk of them tearing and getting dirt in there before you notice the tear.

When I bought.my 2000 3 yrs back the front left was seeping. I removed the old clamp, refilled, ang put a heavy cable tie on. Being an ex phone guy I have a wide assortment with the tool to tighten them. So far no more leakage and the tie does have rounded edging and was about the same width as a metal clamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom